!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Card thickness for buildings  (Read 204 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Card thickness for buildings
« on: February 10, 2020, 08:42:32 PM »
What thickness of card is considered best for buildings, also should larger buildings need thicker card?

Taking a Metcalfe semi kit as an example, they use about 0.6mm - 0.8mm card walls and roof but base, floor and ceilings about double that. Slaters embossed plasticard is also about 0.6mm.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Card thickness for buildings
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »
I am currently building a ..... err ..... building. I have used very thin card, (the packet is marked 200gsm), to make the outer 'skin'. This 'skin' has the window openings cut out. I then used the same card to make an inner 'skin', but on this one, I am just cutting the glazing out leaving the window frames, (a bit fiddly  :goggleeyes:). When the 'inner' skin is fastened to the 'outer' skin, the window frames then appear to be ever so slightly recessed. I am then using 2mm grey card, suitably decorated for the innermost skin which is at the moment, up to the ground floor ceiling height. The ground and first floors will be done with 2mm card - or that is the plan anyway. 2mm card does give a reasonably rigid construction. The other scratch built items I have done are 2mm, either card and/or Plasticard.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 10:45:47 PM »
I've ordered some 360gsm/0.6mm and 600gsm/1mm grey board, I've already got some 3mm for floors/ceilings, helps keep things squared. I'll see how that goes.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 12:17:56 AM »
Haven't built a card model for some time now, but the one just visible here, based on an American prototype, was made as a shell of white card. The white shell is seen as the window frames. This was then covered with a cladding of the same card, painted with Humbrol enamels!!

I can't remember the thickness, unfortunately, but it was thicker than a postcard. Probably too thick, on reflection. But there again, I built it in 1987!

Yeah, the guy in the outhouse was desperate.... he didn't have time to get his pants down!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:20:20 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Fardap

• N Gauge Society Number: 26027
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:14:48 AM »
Sat in my office and just measured the window depth and is 6.5" there is at least 6" the other side of the glass, so a 12" depth of window 'wall' would suggest you could use 2mm card depth, single/multiple layer, to depict the walls of an office building?

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 10:58:29 AM »
Just received the card ordered monday evening, 25 sheets each of 360 and 600 gsm (0.6mm and 1mm) greyboard which is rcycled; quite stiff and reasonable cost  12.41 including p&p (RM 48hr). Some good discounts rfor larger quantities, also sheets up to A1 size.

The 0.6mm will be ideal for house walls with the 1mm for larger buildings. The 1mm should also be OK for garden and other walls.

https://papercutz.co.uk/greyboard-backing-board/greyboard/grey-boards-quick-buy

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:04:39 AM by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal