!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Mikeís workbench  (Read 323 times)

Offline MikeJC-54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 29110
  • 2mm Association Number: 4358
    • Awards
Mikeís workbench
« on: February 10, 2020, 07:00:11 PM »
Following joining this forum last month, hereís the first news of whatís on the workbench at the moment.

I said I first got into N gauge about 1971, with a Mk1 Jubilee, some Cavndish Stanier coaches and memories of seeing David Jenkinson with Garsdale Road at Leeds Corn Exchange, October LMRS exhibition 1970.  I was hooked on MR/LMS & S&C in the Yorkshire hills. 

So spin forward half a century, and Iíve rescued some Peco Jubilee bits to become part of the motive power for a planned S&C cameo.

These are both Mk1 versions, like my very first.  Thereís nearly two full models, BUT one and a half sets of valve gear and motion, only one dead motor, and one very dropped and battered loco body.

Onto the workbench, one loco body will rescue, new etched steps to replace those broken off, new brass buffers, again to replace impact damage.  One tender body had failed split through from impact, these are very thin alongside the vertical can motor.

The motor was installed the wrong way round, not connected, and open circuit.  Removed the motor, one brush without its spring was jammed in the holder.  Cleared out, commutator fully cleaned, polished and new Fleischmann brush sets fitted, it set off at a gentle purr on 2.5v.  Solid engineering there, 40+ years old, and itís only a three pole motor! Someone had started work on repairs with these bits, as one power chassis base is brand new as is the power transfer on the drawbar.

The other loco body is not reuseable, but it has yielded a spare single chimney to go on another rescue with an inappropriate double, a smoke box door and section of smokebox, and an entire cab moulding, which are no longer available as spares.  More of what they will end up as on another visit.

Next posting will show how the erecting shop is rescuing the loco body.

MikeJC

Offline MikeJC-54

• Awards
Re: Mikeís workbench
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
The pile of Jubilee parts shown in my last post has been sorted through. Thereís one good running tender drive chassis, one with no motor providing spares for three others, and two locomotive chassis and one serviceable loco body.

The photo is of the good loco body, and one full rebuild of a Mk1 gear linked loco chassis.  The original crankpin screws were not in the spares lot, so Iíll have to make those when this is all finalised.

This one will get a new tender drive, a Union Mills 6í6Ē axle centres unit bought new, which is getting a BHE cast kit 3500 gal Fowler tender body.  The loco has been built up with the conductive wheels swapped to the RHS, so the UM chassis can retain its standard LHS live to chassis pickup.  Iím keeping the conducting drawbar concept to connect the loco and tender.

Iíll describe and illustrate that work when I get to it later this year.

I have another Mk2 Peco Jubilee further on in restoration and repaint.  Itís in the paint shop now, and the tender drive is being reworked to take a Zimo DCC decoder. I have proved out the ability of the decoder to give fine, crawl speed control of the old 3 pole motor, so modifications to the chassis block are shown below. The mod involves sawing out a shelf at the rear of the tender, but the loss of metal has only dropped the adhesive weight by 4 grams.

Iíve cut slots for the cables to the pickups and the motor brushes.  This will be reassembled finished and ready to use as the paint shop work completes, and the tender drive wheels have had the flanges turned down to just over 0.5mm to match current modern n gauge standards and allow running through N finescale turnouts and crossings.

Next stage is get the old Unimat out for some engineering.

Iíll post again next week

Mike

Offline MikeJC-54

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 09:40:54 PM »
An auction site buy needed a lot of TLC. Mechanically that is a work in progress,but here are some repaint progress photos. Repaint is to lined crimson with red shaded insignia, as Orion, using thePC Models transfers commissioned by Peco for the NL22, andFox lining transfers. This is my first n gauge repaint, and I learned a lot from the mistakes. The photos show where I need to do some touching in.

I also haveíFuryí going through rebuild and painting which will have the Sans Serif yellow insignia. Thereís so many options with a Jubilee.

Before - as newly arrived from the auction buy

Then hereís the body parts ex paint shop, this is many hours of spray painting, hand and transfer lining and lettering. A good couple of months of spare time.

Temporarily erected on a standard Jube chassis, itís final one is having wheels reprofiled to RP25 dimensions, the cylinders are not itís finished set.

Tender lining on the back of the tender, so many rivets to fit transfers over, it is cruel magnification. Very fiddly.

Next post will hopefully see  Orion complete on reprofiled, blackened wheels and motion, with a DCC decoder to control the original motor.

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 09:57:31 PM »
If all else fails get a Union Mills tender drive. However the pick ups on the loco are the same side as those on the UM tender so either the tender wheels and axles or the loco ones need turning over.

Re loco body and motorI think I might have one of each having used the chassis for an SR N15, I'll do a search of by bits boxes.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline MikeJC-54

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 10:53:55 PM »
I hadnít realised I had not posted anything since late February, and of course thereís been a few changes in the intervening weeks.  Working from home hasnít provided noticeably more workshop time, but progress has been made on two or three projects.

The Peco Jubilee I covered in January and February is completed as ĎOrioní with wheel flanges turned to 0.5mm deep, these blackened along with the motion parts, and the tender drive fitted with a modern motor and a Zimo decoder.  I need to do some photos to share, and will have those for next time.

Two more peco Jubilees are on the way through the paint shop slowly, one is being finished in lined crimson and 1936 style sans serif yellow lettering, as ĎFuriousí, and the third one is being finished as ĎRookeí, with the BH Enterprises cast white metal Fowler 3500 gallon tender with a Union Mills tender drive and Zimo decoder fitted providing propulsion.  Rooke didnít have the Stanier tender in the late 1930s, and as the loco came from a pile of parts, it didnt have a serviceable complete tender drive which gave me the idea.  ThisPeco Jubilee loco chassis has been reassembled with the driving wheels turned over putting the current collection onto the opposite side to normal which then works with the standard UM tender pickup wiring.

My other time consuming project during March and April has been restoring a China build Farish Crab.  This was a Ďrunnerí bought on the usual auction site, but like most such purchases there was a lot not right.  The model had been dropped, detaching the motion metalwork from the motion bracket on one side, all the connecting and coupling rods had been bent, and it barely ran, needing 8+ volts to start it.

It ran with a distinct limp, unable to run slowly, and rapidly overheated at which point it wouldnít run at all. 

At this point I have to call out the great help to be found on this forum.  I learned that thereís history with the China build Crabs from around 2004 onwards, and I set about a restoration using in particular the learning the Dr Al has shared here.

I stripped the chassis and straightened as necessary the bent motion parts, I set up a quartering jig to check the wheels, and sure enough I had one of the models with the central driven axle set at several degrees off 90 degrees compared with the leading and trailing axles.  It was very noticeably out and surprising it ran at all.  I took one wheel off the central axle which I then refitted, pressed on to match the accurate quartering of the other two.

Rebuilt, the chassis ran smoothly at last, but still had pretty dreadful start voltage and was still overheating, but now not because of the binding motion.  I determined that the motor magnet was end of life, and I purchased a neodium nickel replacement, and this has produced a chassis that will now crawl along with just 4 volts on the rails.  So thank you everyone on here who has shared the experiences, as I was able to work out what was wrong with the model.  It had obviously always been a disappointment to someone, but now runs as the original designers intended. 

I have junked the production Ďcut and shutí GraFar stretch Fowler tender on a Stanier wheelbase set of frames, they look dreadful.   I have used a current version ex4F Fowler underframe and tender, complete with all wheel pickup.  This looks right as it is right.

The loco is being finished in full lined LMS Black livery, red shaded yellow lettering, with red lining, as number 2803, a Carlisle shed loco in the late 1930s.  Iím pleased with the way that is coming together now the mechanism is working as it should.

I will post photos of this loco next time when itís closer to completion.  Thereís also a UM 7F ĎAustin Sevení being detailed up, so more next time with photos.

Stay safe everyone,  MikeC

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 11:13:12 PM »
Well I think you're nothing short of a genius, mate.

Amazing work!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:36:36 AM »
All sounds good, Mike. I'll be particularly interested in the Crab and am in the opinion we are long overdue a retooled version.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:40:46 AM »
We all look forward to seeing more of your work and photos

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00