!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiring head shunts  (Read 132 times)

Offline the general2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: yes
    • Awards
Wiring head shunts
« on: February 10, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »
I am helping a mate build a layout ,  end to end that has two main tracks, several sidings and three head shunts, we are using two controllers, on DC analogue. Power feeds and insulfrog points all work fine but have had conflicting advice regards the head shunts, currently we have power feeds connected to on off switches at each head shunt and nothing happens, my Question is Are the switches required , or is it just the case that we only need the  power feeds ,thanks in advance   

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
Re: Wiring head shunts
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 04:50:30 PM »
You can't really answer wiring questions without a diagram showing the track, the power feeds and any insulated rail joiners.  And add in the "two controllers", I'd like to know how those are connected (there are at least three general ways of doing it).     Otherwise, what I guess you are doing is likely to be different to what you are actually doing. 

As for switches, they are usually used for one of two purposes: a) to isolate locos parked in a location, or b ) to switch between different controllers for a section of track. 

- Nigel

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Wiring head shunts
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 06:20:38 PM »
With two controllers in play,  I would divide the trackwork into appropriate sections including the headshunts and wire for Cab Control so that a controller can take over any track section(s) relevant to the desired movement,  but as Nigel says we could do with an annotated diagram in order to advise what feeds and where.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal