!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Clifton Wood the rebuild begins  (Read 4887 times)

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Clifton Wood the rebuild begins
« on: February 09, 2020, 12:43:04 PM »
As the layout I'm building with my dad takes so long to get anywhere we decided we needed to build something small to play trains on with a bit of involvement to keep things interesting.

Originally we were meant to be building this to fit into 2 box files and have a late 50s branch line working based around south devon so all our existing stock could be used.

To keep costs down I was to build it out of setrack we had from a layout some 10years ago and existing stock meant costs were to be minimal and a plan was created.

Unfortunately I'm not one really to stick exactly to the plan and things deviated quite quickly and before long it was to be a wood processing plant based in quite modern times.

Being a child of the 80s I have always had a soft spot for Class 47 and 08 shunters. This then made me rethink the box file layout to enable me to run these two locos.

Once i started looking at log movements by rail I stumbled across Stevens Croft biomass power station in Lockerbie. This is a very modern station and instead of logs arriving by rail A W Jenkinson, the Carlisle originating wood based haulier brings logs and woodchip into his own yard adjacent to Stevens Croft. Here logs are chipped and blown into a big open fronted shed and the woodchip brought in in the companies own walking floor trailers get shovelled into this blending shed before being conveyed into Stevens Croft across the road.

The decision was then made that 2 boxfiles wouldnt be big enough to model enough of this so that idea was scrapped and a typical 3x1 framework built 1500x400mm covered in sundela board.

The track was laid and ballasted, this gives me 3 sidings to bring loaded OTA wagons in, we may add newer types at some point, empty OTAs can be hauled out and my newly acquired @njee20 Drax biomass hoppers. These will be shunted by a new dcc 08 shunter in a privately owned livery.

There is now a simple 3 siding affair at the end of the layout to enable me to move stock about and make it a bit interesting.

I have added a level crossing to enable the road network to exist around the layout and the entrance into the AWJ site has it's own scratchbuilt weighbridge, security hut and barriers. Inspiration for this has come from Steven's Croft itself. The name Clifton Wood refers to 2 AWJ locations north of Carlisle and the back scene will be tree lined to give the effect that this sits in it's own managed woodland to enable some of the logs to be locally sourced. 

I'm currently working on building the blending shed along with the huge chipper that allows the logs to be scooped up off the OTAs and dumped straight into a hopper, although thousands will be stacked in the prototypical way of processing plants. There will also be a HGV maintenance building along with a 2 bay truck wash.

Vehicles are from oxford diecast and brilliant they are, mostly AW Jenkinson Volvo's however AWJ have business ties with Eddie Stobart so at least one of his biomass trucks is on site. Front loaders are from shapeways and have been made to replicate a hybrid Caterpillar/ Komatsu cross,
(Details are on my workbench thread). Various other bits of plant will have to be adapted or scratchbuilt which I'm currently compiling information for.

Network Rail will get their obligatory grey shed beside the level crossing and I'm still undecided about getting the level crossing lights to flash and siren  :hmmm:

It's great to get to be building something modern as not much research needs to go into it, ican nip down my drive and have a good look at current railway workings so hopefully I might get most right.

I was unsure about NR catch pits, I have installed them, a couple still need their covers but guessed as we were serving a biomass plant they would be quite strict on run off into the watercourses. Plenty of standard 8ft security fences to go up and have managed to get a good few site safety signs as well so once my buildings are completed it should come together, hopefully quite well.

Just a point of note, this is the running side if the layout, it will be viewed from the other, the ply screen is there to block out the junk on the bench behind.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:11:46 PM by exmouthcraig »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Clifton Wood
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 01:04:45 PM »
Thus far looking good craig

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 01:12:44 PM »
That is indeed looking to be a good start Craig.
Interesting idea the wood yard.

By complete coincidence, two of us have just started on a new  layout at our club (yes, I know, not ANOTHER layout, I hear you all saying) where the main scenic feature will be a wood yard set , probably, in the late 70s/early 80s.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »
By complete coincidence, two of us have just started on a new  layout at our club (yes, I know, not ANOTHER layout, I hear you all saying)

@port perran they've even heard that in Bristol :D
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/youre-joking-not-another-one/

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Clifton Wood a biomass processing plant
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 06:39:20 PM »
After the storm kept the torrential rain hail snow and thunder here for a good part of the day work was somewhat reduced.

That did give me time to crack on with Clifton Wood. A bit more green has gone down along with a few trees and the balsa base for the truck park.

I've literally just finished printing and cutting the slab section of yard surface so it will get stuck down overnight.

Network Rail have a response vehicle for the failing of the level crossing, although their obviously still on a tea break as no ones made it out the van yet.

Geoff and Charlie are stood outside their security gate hut enjoying putting the world to rights even though Eddie is waiting at the weigh bridge. After all it's only Stobart drivers who believe the world should stop for them  :-X

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
Well with weather and workload not much has happened at Clifton Wood this week but I have been chipping away at the backlog of missing scenery so hopefully this week  bits and pieces will start to happen.

A W Jenkinson have a great array of vehicles for their various parts to the business, oxford produce the wonderful walking floors which are now plentiful at Clifton, however a by product of producing biomass is sawdust. This goes through various processes and cleaning prior to being sold as animal bedding.

This is sold in wrapped bale form as well as bulk tipped, obviously dragging a great big 44T walking floor trailer onto many farms isnt an option and as such AWJ run a fleet of bulk tippers complete with tarp cover sheet.

Oxford produce these with a Scania T cab, I managed to purchase a broken covered trailer in white recently, I managed by pure chance to find an acrylic colour very similar to AWJ green after a grey primer and 6 or 7 coats so a 18ml bottle was made for various bits of airbrushing.

Last night I decided it was time to try to recreate one of these complete with the tarp rolled back for filling. The tarp was made using PVA and the paper sleeve off a new GF box rolled round some 0.8mm copper tube, a false floor made for the trailer and filled with sawdust off a balsa sheet.

Trailer chassis and back section was then painted to match and Tim is currently up the ladder getting ready to roll the eazi-sheet over the top ready for his days work.

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+36)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 12:46:06 PM »
greatly impressed, and inspired by this Craig,

in fact

thinking of making a similar small diorama of a section of HS2  :)

I've got a spare 18" x 18" piece of chipboard, some off cuts of ply to make profiles around the edges.

some filler spread around inside the profiles, a bit of earth coloured paint over the filler, three or four tracked diggers from the stash of Japanese construction vehicles, a couple of six wheeled articulated tippers, a dozen or so figures in hi-viz, a couple of passenger figures as VIPs, and a portaloo.

no need for track / points/ or indeed anything moving  >:D
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 12:48:46 PM »
 :smiley-laughing:

You'll need a fleet of securicor Van's with the 207billion for it though  :D

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 01:17:48 PM »
Hi Craig,

Only just seen this one. Looking good and will follow with interest.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+36)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 02:58:20 PM »
:smiley-laughing:

You'll need a fleet of securicor Van's with the 207billion for it though  :D

no, probably get away with one ...

most of it would have gone to the 'consultants'  >:D

and they'd want it in their overseas accounts, not hard cash :censored:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 03:06:06 PM »
Well this is the first time I actually get to see if from the viewing side!!

The concrete pad has now all been finished including burying the rails and lining the expansion joints up with all the slabs  :uneasy:

Road surface still has to go down but hopefully by next weekend that will be done along with the buildings to make it a bit more real.

The fiddle yard is big enough for my 6 wagons of logs, still to be added but soon!!! I just need to work on building the loads for it, probably about 20,000 pieces of willow as that is the best species for biomass!!

The tunnel mouth was intended to be all drab after the years its sat nestled in such a deep bank, the lining still has to be added! The bank will be planted with alot of firs to replicate a typical type forest, the back scene will also be forest based to give the illusion that it is actually sat in the middle of Clifton Wood.

The level crossing still needs lots if work including all the white security fencing, the lineside hut has to be added but I have installed the orange Network Rail cameras on the crossing.

As you turn into Clifton Wood you are greeted by a modern steel weighbridge controlled by barriers and the security hut. This is from Red Imp so has a basic interior, we may go to town and install computer screens and various bits of office junk.

The blending shed is still to be finished and painted but sits directly behind the line of AWJ trucks. This will have it's own hopper for the logs to be loaded straight into the massive chipper, a conveyor belt will then lift it into the blending shed.

The front loaders load tipper wagons for materials taken off site and also woodchip brought in by hauliers including Eddie Stobart to be mixed in the blending shed. This is then conveyed up and into biomass wagons by means of a transfer shed so I dont have to have open of closed wagons. The transfer shed will be very low relief.

Theres a couple of container mounted generators to be built and fitted behind the blending shed beside the skips.

Eddie Stobart fleet support unit is currently working on an AWJ walking floor trailer, directly in front of that will be the truck maintenance shed, the second Stobart truck is currently in one of two truck wash bays which will have staging to enable the cleaners to get to the tops of the trucks.

There is a double stack of portacabins, again RedImp these will be used as a shower block for the drivers and a bit of a rest room.

Plenty of little details to add but starting to get somewhere near, thankfully.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 07:38:49 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
    Looking really excellent Craig, nice modelling sir   :thumbsup:
         regards Derek.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »
greatly impressed, and inspired by this Craig,

in fact

thinking of making a similar small diorama of a section of HS2  :)

I've got a spare 18" x 18" piece of chipboard, some off cuts of ply to make profiles around the edges.

some filler spread around inside the profiles, a bit of earth coloured paint over the filler, three or four tracked diggers from the stash of Japanese construction vehicles, a couple of six wheeled articulated tippers, a dozen or so figures in hi-viz, a couple of passenger figures as VIPs, and a portaloo.

no need for track / points/ or indeed anything moving  >:D

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48044.msg613587#msg613587

a guide to modelling the HS2

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=dlattach;ts=1579858962;topic=48044.0;attach=3387
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »
 :helpneededsign:

I've just purchased the ID backscene TREEs A as it was my intention to give the impression that it is set in the middle of a wood.

My concern is as the layout is only 400mm (16") deep how to hide the fact it's a printed scene. My plan is too chop some trees literally in half to try to blend it a bit more but after advice as to how others have achieved this

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »
Some new arrivals this morning and fantastic they all are too. The timber wagons are scratchbuilt and 4 of the 6 will get loaded to replicate the traffic required.

Work on the backscene is still being worked out, I think I have managed to work out what has to happen with what and I'll be quite keen to get that along with the light rig all sorted over the next week.

Building works are still carrying on, not as fruitful as I would of liked but hopefully once their placed they will be exactly as I want them.

The COSCO containers will be adapted to replicate emergency generators and I have managed to acquire some very decent led street lamps which will need to be placed and wired but typically once I found out how they were built, adaptations have been made  ;)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal