!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Curves and wheels slipping  (Read 584 times)

Offline PLD

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
Re: Curves and wheels slipping
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »
I have tried running my loco with a load of Peco rolling stock but they are so light that they either fall over on the bends at high speed or uncouple. Bit of weight and that seems to rectify that problem.
Two thoughts on that -
The prototype has the same problem of things falling off on bends if taken too quickly! On the prototype equivalent of an 18 inch radius there would be maybe a 10 or 15 mph limit, and larger locos such as Pacifics may very well be barred...

Adding weight as spouted by some as a cure for derailments, but is addressing symptoms not the cause. The main outcome of doubling the weight is to halve the number of vehicles you can pull...

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 05:36:02 PM »
A few thoughts....

How does the Coronation handle the curves when running light loco? Is there any frictional slowing and/or slipping on the curves then?

Have you tried hooking up the carriages to an alternative loco to see if the problem persists?

If no issues determined with these tests, try running by progressively adding carriages to see at what train load/length the problem manifests itself.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 05:41:26 PM »
I had a whole rake of Lima coaches and remember that they were much heavier than Farish ones, in fact I used that to my advantage as they were much better at staying on the indifferently laid track of a modular club layout.

Is the OP sure they weigh the same as his Farish ones? I’d also be concerned about the Peco wagons falling off, if the track is laid properly that shouldn’t really happen.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »
...Perhaps I still need to run it in some more although we did discover that we had to tape the gears down as they kept rising from the frame.

Eh?  Taping gears?  I'm struggling to imagine what you mean, but anyway it's a brand new loco isn't it?  That doesn't sound at all right to me.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline ChrisWC342

• N Gauge Society Number: 28873
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »
Hi, my other new loco is in for repair lol, trouble with running gear and fell apart when I put it on the track, not having much luck. I also have 4 mini trix steam trains which I purchased over 30 yrs ago and never been used as yet.
Perhaps I am expecting far too much from my 'City of Birmingham', but I am still working on it. Cannot believe how much I have to clean this track every day, must get myself a track cleaning carriage.
Without carriages my Coronation shoots round the curves, I just expected it to pull 8 carriages, perhaps I expect too much. When I get my other new loco back I will run that in and test it against my Coronation.
Will be purchasing some new carriages shortly and I will weigh them against my Lima and then I can tell you the difference, looking forward to that.
It's the oil tanker that keeps coming off, it weighs virtually nothing and if you walk past it it will fall over. I think it needs a bit of weight inside, maybe in a line of say 8 it might be different but I only have one as yet.
Regarding taping gears which should have meant taping motor down, well my Coronation after a short while gave up on wheel slip and just didn't do anything. I took it back from where I purchased it and they took it apart. The motor with the gears on the end rests in a cradle with no means of holding it down. When you got wheel slip it simply just pushed it up and off the running gear, didn't need much either. So he simply applied a good tape to hold it in place which cured the problem. Yes its a manufacturing error according to the model shop I got it from, has since been discontinued, wonder if the 'Queen Elizabeth' is fitted the same way, anyone got one by chance?
Regards Chris

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2020, 10:12:25 PM »
Sorry to hear that you have been having so many problems with locos. You should try out your old Minitrix locos, you might find that even after thirty years of storage they run well. They might need gradual running in though. They usually pull well. I have five that really run very well despite their age (unlike their owner)

What are you using to clean the track? It sounds as though there might be a problem there. Perhaps something related to the surface of the track is causing the wheels to slip.

:NGaugersRule:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 10:24:48 PM »
Assuming this is the latest run model, does it/should it have traction tyres and, if so, are they missing? I also seem to remember @Dr Al referring to the motor lifting

What are you using to clean the track? It sounds as though there might be a problem there. Perhaps something related to the surface of the track is causing the wheels to slip.

This is a fair point. I used Woodland Scenics Track Cleaner once and my Blue Pullman (with 2 power cars) just sat there and span up. I had to completely redo the track with IPA to get rid of the other useless stuff. Until you can try another loco all is supposition at present.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2020, 10:38:34 PM »
Thanks for that. Last time I was in Hobart I was looking at that WS track maintenance kit in this nice little shop they have there.

Heading back there next month, and was thinking about buying it. I'll get a couple of wagons instead.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline ChrisWC342

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2020, 11:20:47 PM »
Well guys having worked on my carriages, rolling stock and loco I might have sorted it out as its pulling better but not sure with all the things I have done has proved the most efficient.
The Express Dairy wagon which kept falling over has a removals conflat wagon with container on either end, equally as lightweight, but it appears three in a row correct each other and I am having no problems whatsoever. Just one on its own was the issue by the look of it.
Got my Coronation now pulling 9 carriages around the circuit, slows down a bit on the bends due to wheel spin but a lot better. I was wondering whether putting a cant (slope) on the bends might make a difference with regard to slippage? The other thing is possibly using DCCconcepts PowerBase on the bends which might stop the wheel spin.
Going to run in my three large Minitrix steam locos tomorrow, the MiniTrix Ginty runs great though, just got to update them to DCC if its worth it.
One write up mentioned using a fine plastic scrubber on old track because the track might have corroded after being in a box for over 30yrs. This by all accounts cleans off any corrosion without scratching or damaging the track. This I have done so whether that's made a difference Im not sure. Otherwise I am cleaning the track with a Peco rubber, new white lint free cloths with Isopropanol, nothing else. When I can I would like to purchase a CMX when funds permit.
When I build my layout I will be using brand new Peco Streamline Code 55.
Regards Chris

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 11:40:54 PM »
@ChrisWC342   Peco track is nickel silver, it doesn't corrode.  It does tarnish when not used for a while, and a light burnishing with a track rubber sorts that out.  No need to press hard, that just causes the track rubber to leave bits everywhere which then need to be vacuumed away.

You mentioned earlier about having to clean your track every day?  That's unusual, so what environment is your layout situated in?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline ChrisWC342

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2020, 12:04:34 AM »
Oh, told you I was new to this, so no corrosion I guess, ta. Yep have used the track rubber numerous times and hoovered up afterwards.
When I was trying to sort out the issue I did over lubricate carriages and my old Ginty, and although I have cleaned them up, I still get gunk on my tracks which I keep cleaning with my lint free rags, guessing it will stop eventually. Realise now that carriages did not need it, just a good wipe round would have done, my mistake. Layout is in the loft, clean and dry but not too warm at the moment.
Quite sure when I get my CMX dirty track will not be an issue.
Regards Chris

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2020, 08:59:30 AM »
@ChrisWC342  Temperature variation and condensation can be a factor in lofts and garages unless they're properly lined out and stabilised like any other room in the house.  Condensation on the rails will behave like dirty track.

Track cleaning wagons are no substitute for manual cleaning from time to time, you'll still need to do that. It also makes  you go round and examine the track for any stubborn dirt, damage, bits of train that have fallen off etc.    :D   Track cleaning wagons will maybe help keep the track clean longer, though I'm not convinced personally - I've tried a few over the decades.    I did recently pick up what is normally a very expensive Lux powered cleaning wagon from ebay for just a few quid as non working: turned out it just needed the onboard batteries charged up for a few minutes.  I'll test it in due course.

It's just as important to keep the loco and stock wheels clean, and not just the powered wheels which pick up the juice.  Unpowered wheels can pick up thick layers of crud if not attended to, which then spreads round the rails.  Especially check your old Lima coaches etc.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:01:25 AM by ntpntpntp »

Offline ChrisWC342

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
Well folks I think I have finally got to the bottom of it in the end, so simple really.
I have four 35 yr old Minitrix trains which have never been on a track in their lives plus my Dapol 'Flying Scotsman' along with the problematic Graham Farish 'City of Birmingham' which cannot pull the skin off a rice pudding from the day I first got it. Both the last two trains are brand new.
I was told initially that converting my old Minitrix trains would not be worth it so they stayed in the box, my Dapol was away for repair, so I had nothing to compare with my 'City of Birmingham'.
I thought it was the track so I relayed it, constantly cleaned the track and the wheels on the train to no avail.
Having been asked if I nothing to compare it with I got out my old Minitrix Ginty, ran it in for the first time after giving it a slight oil. Oh my goodness it pulled all nine carriages along with all my rolling stock with out raising a sweat. The following day I ran in my three remaining Minitrix trains and yet again they ran round the track pulling everything in one go.
Yesterday I got my 'Flying Scotsman' back. what a runner and that easily pulled everything , so its my 'City of Birmingham' that's at fault, goodness knows what, but back to the shop it goes.
Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice, could not have done it all without your help.
And yes I will be converting all my Minitrix locos to DCC, they are such good runners, really nice looking and what the heck is the point in leaving them in a box.
Cheers all, Regards Chris   

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 09:19:20 PM »
Glad to hear you now know it is the Coronation that is at fault. Let’s hope the retailer plays ball and gets that sorted too. From what you said about taping down to keep the gears working, I would not expect that of a a new loco and I would say that that loco is probably not of merchantable quality, and I would perhaps be looking for a refund or replacement.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything