!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: ditton ( - and the works )  (Read 6242 times)

Offline degsy_safc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: ditton ( - and the works )
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2020, 08:59:17 PM »
Hi after another bout of long days, time to fix more track and a new siding . The parcels Van's have failed en route so warrington have added a full brake onto an excursion and that in turn will return to crewe once the repairs have fixed the errant broken sheet of a gangway corridor drape before it can be locked ready to be added to a 100 mph service. Meanwhile I have at last after not much sleep woken and tested 14 locos plus discovered only 25221 needed a clean. I noticed new tooling plus an old style mechanism so thanks to a forum member, undid 1 plate  checked the bogies. The loco is dcc ready but runs on analogue. I dare not put a pin in any oil. The gears are smoothly running, so are the current collecting strip. 30 minutes later the shed exam passed, add 4 mark 1s runs well . 6 Van's good as gold. Thanks Alex hailstone. Still adding tackywax after a peco wagon seemed not to enjoy coupling to a farish and thus enough now after an hour cleaning the track checking bouncing wagons causing the couplings tension to loosen. All good. Board 5 is now pinned but will be the fiddle yard waiting stock to be set out. Tomorrow' s plan

Sounds like a very busy day Chris..

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2020, 09:32:52 PM »
Thanks derek. It's more like 16/ rather than 24 /7

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: June 17, 2020, 09:07:31 AM »
Looks like a review of http://service.bachmann.co.uk/knowledge-base/instruction-sheets/ and not much help from farish, have led me to another look at 25221. Working from home today, a little run in and wondering if I need to gently do more maintenance ? A job for crewe. Makes you wonder why locos are not made for analogue only.   A quick call to the shop i brought them from and purchase of n gauge dapol easi shunt https://www.dapol.co.uk/2a-000-010-n-gauge-easi-fit-magnetic-couplings-short-arm-1-pair-866  plus some peco pl 64 https://peco-uk.com/products/power-lube  seems to have done the trick. Another first for me as never used to be able to service my own. Wayne at kernow has the same loco so we shared stories.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:00:39 AM by crewearpley40 »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2020, 06:50:18 PM »
I will report back on 25221 and fitting the new couplings. Looks like a duff batch on my loco and none left. Kernow have also kindly agreed to send a mere 10 in a pack due to me receiving 25 exhibition discount at stevenage show plus me screenshotting the errant coupling. Paid for me to ignore the lubricant bachfar supply. I'm sparingly going to apply oil but running her with my early farish 25078 and 259 today has caused no problems . Thanks hailstone for your advice. I did manage to find an old single and working controller in a drawer at work, the boss kindly let me take it home to test on the fiddle yard . No photos, 1 5 x 2 piece of wood to show 08489, 08704, 20059, 20168  20073, 20082 dummy pair  , 25078, 25259, 31464, 47192, my dmu, mk2s.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:54:24 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »
Today ' s not been fun until 3pm what with an early start and the last for a while. So 08431 and 489 have been shunting . 25221 still awaits a new coupler but she has at last managed a trip or two with a parcel with tackywax the last blob I brought a long time ago. That's for now solved the errant couple so solves farish, peco and unwanted uncoupling. Phew

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2020, 04:18:11 PM »
Today ' s not been fun until 3pm what with an early start and the last for a while. So 08431 and 489 have been shunting . 25221 still awaits a new coupler but she has at last managed a trip or two with a parcel with tackywax the last blob I brought a long time ago. That's for now solved the errant couple so solves farish, peco and unwanted uncoupling. Phew

Chris,
It is good that you have had time to do a bit of shunting and have a temporary solution for your coupling problems.

Enjoy while you can

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2020, 04:28:18 PM »
Thanks mike. It was @Bob Tidbury I have to thank for promoting tackywax . If the  couplers that will hope fully solve 221 's couplers. I suspect it was a duff batch from which I brought and learnt the lesson to notice harder at exhibitions but with some unhygienic bloke leaning across me not even saying excuse me. So job done during time out. Stay safe.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2020, 03:34:03 PM »
It's been 5 days, yet more early starts at work. 25221 has had tackywax applied so that's stopped a couple of peco wagons uncoupling when they should not. The peco HAA coal hoppers can be see with the class 20s with the dapol easi shunt couplers but no photos for now. Tricky but fun. The rest will be fitted at the weekend. 25221 has had her no 1 end couple fixed. Wayne at kernow was incredibly helpful and sold me the lube with a free nozzle so just a needle dip of that sided the errant gear. Will post more later as been up since 5 !

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2020, 03:45:23 PM »
Cheers Chris,

Thank you for your update

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2020, 03:47:29 PM »
No worries mike. Been a challenging day so it's nice to be able to relax and enjoy a hobby whilst on my own and unwind doing little jobs at a time

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2020, 03:50:17 PM »
No worries mike. Been a challenging day so it's nice to be able to relax and enjoy a hobby whilst on my own and unwind doing little jobs at a time

Chris,
I started Hillsden as a way to relax from the stresses of work, model railways take you into your own miniature world, where you can forget the problems of daily life.

Mike H

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »
Im glad you find Wayne helpful Chris.
He is such a nice chap.
Hes secretary of our club and it was he and I who put the recent Hayle MRC Virtual Show together.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2020, 03:56:06 PM »
Thanks he mentioned camborne, guess Martin that the kernow home. You can say his advice has helped with the 25. He I'd mention  he had exactly the same but different number as it was one of the first batch @port perran  and I did enjoy the hayle virtual show

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »
Not much has been done except ordering wheels and changing some rather old plastic ones for metal ones plus a couple of odd jobs. Then of course I'm still adding a red star scenecraft and a metcalfe kits building strengthened with plasticard. Have been using the new xuron cutters to trim a piece of flexi track and wiring a fiddle yard piece for testing locos

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2020, 07:13:30 PM »
Help its july already. Where have the last 6 months gone ?  I've been on nights yikes, so after being woken by the post and a noisy addict neighbour plus 6 awesome hours sleep I have gently fitted metal farish wheels to all stock,   tested and can say after an hour driving my layout testing all works. So the weekend off will be fiddle yard building

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal