!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: ditton ( - and the works )  (Read 4836 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
ditton ( - and the works )
« on: February 07, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
hi its about time I posted about my layout ! Having been on the forum 6 years. My journey started when I was 4 with a train set as I called it - my late Grandfather - Bless Him created a small 4 x 2 after a serious surgical procedure to remove all or part of my colon hence stiff backs.  Roll on to past my 30s and a flat move, I started building N Gauge and those who remember the buildings shown here and the Magnum Layout :

http://www.ness-st.co.uk/pdf/Graham%20Farish%20Magnum%20Catalogue%201999.pdf

yes I had one. Another flatmove 6 years ago meant redecorating, a new bathroom, paint, wiring. The wretched builders dropped my old layout - ugh !

So im reconstructing. Please be patient for photos. So 2 years ago ....

Im reconstructing Ditton West which in reality as a station opened in 1871 on the London-Liverpool line. It replaced an earlier station named Ditton Mill which was inconveniently located off the then new main line some 230 yards to the east and closed to passengers on 27 May 1994 and the station buildings were demolished in 2005. My layout is only part of set 1970s - 1993 so sees Blue / Grey, and anything the odd two tone Green, Maroon Mk1s, Speedlinks.

Its based on an 11 ft by 2 and a half foot. With potential for another 6ft board if and when the landlord rewires so I can live in peace. and resurrect the extra board situated alongside the wall.

I will put a plan later, but thanks to @DarrwestLU6 for wiring signals, points, electrics, Bob Tidbury for encouragement. @Hailstone for fixing my number2 Class 08 Shunter , Kernow / Gaugemaster for quick sales and posting my orders., Ben at Metcalfes DIY for sorting a board. Basically its a shunting layout with scope for a representation of shunting, HAAs to Fiddlers Ferry, the Warrington Trip working, a small depot servicing train, engineers, the Pilkington Glass trip tanks, ICI and BOC trips at Widnes Tanhouse Lane, the BOCS from Willesden and Kenton. When I add the extra board Freightliner 70s / 80s

https://www.google.com/search?q=british+rail+freightliner+1970s&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiE47qu3b_nAhVaw4UKHZ6uDFkQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=british+rail+freightliner+1970s&gs_l=img.3...9051.12265..12831...0.0..0.242.1251.9j3j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.llOCWKAXUi4&ei=pn49XoT4ONqGlwSe3bLIBQ&bih=652&biw=1024

https://www.google.com/search?q=BOC+tank+trains+1970s&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiH9ve13b_nAhUygHMKHYtRDswQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=BOC+tank+trains+1970s&gs_l=img.3...15705.21355..21550...1.0..0.157.1376.13j3......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i7i30.5KPNSxPGviI&ei=tn49XofDJbKAzgOLo7ngDA&bih=652&biw=1024

and a take on Arpley Yard :

https://www.google.com/search?q=warrington+arpley+80s&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiF8ZrB3b_nAhVZPhoKHXC-Dk8Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=warrington+arpley+80s&gs_l=img.3...15039.22554..22883...2.0..0.201.1908.19j3j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0j0i67j0i10j0i10i24j0i131j0i8i30j0i24.pzRMb1ahGfg&ei=zn49XoXSD9n8aPD8uvgE&bih=652&biw=1024

an old haunt when I worked for the old BR at Crewe and lived near Warrington. Track is mainly farish , I have some of the original buildings. Fleet consists of several blue grey and maroon mk1s plus a Charter  mk1 maroon set  , mk2s, 08, 20, 25, 31  40  47, dmu, 81 minitrix  86. and 20 plus wagons. Once the living room is delighted wired and I'm free of the old wiring as I live in flats plus work on the railways willl add photos
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:32:51 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: ditton ( - and the works )
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 03:39:04 PM »
Look forward to seeing some pictures Chris!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 03:41:33 PM »
Thanks once the lighting which  was discovered as faulty and I can work how to post some shots on my phone

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 03:55:14 PM »
Look forward to seeing the track plan and some pics, Chris.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 04:00:56 PM »
Again once I have worked out how to post photos and the track plan is an end to end with 3 sidings at one end, a passing loop and 2 curves leading to the fiddle yard full of tracks representing arpley. I can only draw on paper and do not have the technology sorry to do technical drawings etc. I'm very simple in what I do. Photos are on my phone.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 04:38:06 PM »
You should be able to click "Add image to post and upload to gallery" and follow the steps to get photos directly from your phone. You have to specify category as "random photos", and a name, then it should post. Mine are always upside down, but I can turn my head!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 04:52:17 PM »
Thanks nick. I have tried that
 Never works. I have a card shed converted to the carriage wagon works and recreated a scrap yard, pw way works scene , a mini arpley yard, and the junction splitting the line to runcorn and the weaver and the widnes warrington line. However space I have is limited so. Please folks be patient. I'm also analogue as just simple. I be never tried dcc
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:08:42 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 05:30:31 PM »
Go into Gallery, then My Gallery, then My Gallery again.  That should get you to your gallery (which may be empty by the sound of it).  Scoll down to the bottom and click Bulk Add Pictures.  You should then see a workspace where you can copy and paste or drag and drop files from your file system.  Then 'Return to Gallery' gets you back again.  To display one of you gallery pictures, click the picture then scoll down to the bottom where you will see Image Linking Codes.  Copy and paste the BB code into your reply and the picture will appear when you preview the post.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 05:35:10 PM »
Thanks at a later date. PLEASE excuse me all I'm not technical . I just model and look for suitable stock. I did manage to find a book stall/ newsagent which recreates Grandfather' s old station stall before he sold to the old Menzies.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »
@DarrwestLU6 , @Newportnobby , @Innovationgame . Thanks these are my first ever attempts at forum posting photos. Appreciated darren for wiring up with me plus wiring those signals. More to happen once the wretched lighting. I can email or send photos to mobile numbers but please bear on mind I'm scribbling plans with pen paper and battling with lighting my landlord needs to replace.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:13:48 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 07:16:05 PM »
There!  You can do it after all.  :)
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 07:25:15 PM »
Thanks after cursing my technology. Appreciate it Laurence. Admittedly overcoming hurdles. Signals are now obsoletevberko eckon 2 / 3 aspect and ground shunting signals dummies. May have to wait til daylight as darren suggests. Been planning more for another day
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:26:55 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 07:29:07 PM »
and battling with lighting my landlord needs to replace.

The lighting in my spare room was (and is) dire - just one pendant light fitting about 2' from the window in a long, narrowish room some 13-14' long.

I resolved that by making a "lighting bar" comprising a length of timber longer than my layout (at that time just Coniston) and a pair of a-frame legs to hold it up. The 8' long bar is fitted with five table lamp lampholders, wired to be powered from a normal plug socket, each fitted with a 7W LED bulb. Because it's not fixed in place, I can move it around to illuminate whatever I want - it has been used for lighting Coniston down one side of the room, Torver across one end, Woodland down the opposite side from Coniston and is currently set up across the opposite end from Torver to give me good lighting for working on Broughton.

It might be worth you knocking up something similar rather than waiting for the landlord because, even if he does sort the "standard" lighting, it still may not be ideal for you to work on, or photograph, your layout.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »
Thanks chris. Darren and I used a table lamp to side wiring and a head torch underneath bit like what hill walkers use. I use 3 portable reading lights from a swedish furniture store, that I word minus the base hels by clamps and a magnifying glass. But that's a useful shout to consider

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
45% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal