!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Can someone recommend a brass loco kit for a first timer?  (Read 701 times)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Can someone recommend a brass loco kit for a first timer?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 02:30:01 PM »
@EtchedPixels @Dorsetmike thanks for the info i do have a class 05 loco kit waiting in the wings that i sourced from Paul Cheffus but before i tackle that i have a couple of Queen Mary brake etches from thre ngs that i can practice on. They were only 50 pence each and you never know i might even get some bonus stock out of it. Just waiting for a chance to get my soldering iron out now...

Mike i like the look of the Worsley Works kits but the fact they call themselves a 'scratch aid' puts me off a bit. I'll try and build my skills on the simpler stuff first.

Is the difference between 2mm and N scale that noticable then?

I would say the BHE 05 is way harder than the Worsley Works loco kits. It's a shrink from OO by the look of it so the parts are really small and fiddly and it uses separate pieces where 2mm/N kits would have used folds. I did build one quite early on in my kitbuilding career and it came out OK in the end. I lost a door in the carpet which is why mine has a driver hanging out of the side of the cab !

The 'scratch aid' aspect of the Worsley Works kits is that they don't come with
- Instructions (but its generally obvious how they go together), and you've got the whole internet to ask.
- Fittings - so you need to know where to buy buffers and other castings and to find or make things like the fuel tanks. They are also designed to scale rather than a chassis (except where it says otherwise) so can be trickier for that.
- Any domes or other complex curved joins that a kit might give you in resin or white metal
- Meshes for grilles (on most kits anyway)

The class 41 Warship for example requires that you use milliput or Daz or jumping clay or similar to fashion the bit where the cab roof joins the windows, and to get the curve around the nose right. You'll also need to source buffers (eg from BHE or N Brass), and you'll need things like wire for handrails (a broken high E guitar string is great), glazing (thin clear plastic from packaging etc), disc headcodes (or scratch build headcode boxes), grille mesh, and to make a fuel tank. That one actually fits an old Farish/BachFarr class 47 chassis quite well in size but you'll also need plasticard or similar to fashion an actual structure to fit the body nicely onto it at the right level.

All the stuff is easy enough to get hold of and it's not that scary.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Eggmarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27026
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »
@EtchedPixels thanks Alan for the advice. I have been taking a closer look at the worsely works kits since you mentioned them, a class 02 or two might be in order especially as i have a future plan for Pensnett railhead in the 1980's which operated one with a second being cannibalised for spares.

They do fill quite a few gaps in the loco roster so i can see me trying a few in future anyway. First i'll cut my teeth on the Queen Mary etches that arrived yesterday.

Offline Corbie

• N Gauge Society Number: 12314
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 04:39:04 PM »
There may be a bit of a delay with Worsley Works in getting sheets modified to N-gauge. I've been waiting a few weeks.
Pre-grouping steam / LNER / early BR.

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 05:18:35 PM »
There may be a bit of a delay with Worsley Works in getting sheets modified to N-gauge. I've been waiting a few weeks.
He's normally very quick re-sizing, it's filling a sheet of A4 that can take time to make the etching process worthwhile.

Offline Corbie

• N Gauge Society Number: 12314
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 05:37:49 PM »
He's normally very quick re-sizing, it's filling a sheet of A4 that can take time to make the etching process worthwhile.

I think there must be an extra delay at the moment. I've ordered quite a few, more than an A4 sheet. Initial inquiry before Christmas and confirmed 3rd week of Jan. Waiting for confirmation of it being ready to send to the etchers.
Pre-grouping steam / LNER / early BR.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal