!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Can someone recommend a brass loco kit for a first timer?  (Read 324 times)

Offline Eggmarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27026
    • Awards
Can someone recommend a brass loco kit for a first timer?
« on: January 30, 2020, 08:18:38 AM »
Just as it says on the title really, i've plenty of experience on non brass wagon kits and painting and i've some experience soldering, mainly electrical but i've experimented with soldering some bits of brass fret together with increasing levels of success beginning at frustration/ failure up to looking 'okay'.

I'm really interested in taking on a brass loco kit just to see if i can, as it's a part of the hobby that really intrigues me. I model era 7-8 but for this project i don't mind taking on a steamer, the important thing is that it's a relatively easy entry into brass kit making.

Any kits that come 'all in one' that is body,chassis and motor would be an advantage although that seems a rarity.

Any if your recommendations are welcome, thanks in advance.

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: Can someone recommend a brass loco kit for a first timer?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 08:55:04 AM »
Hello Eggmarine

I would say avoid Worsley Works kits as these are "scratch aids" designed for people that are happy to fiddle. You are not quite at that stage yet.

For a kit that has tags to locate the parts, I had great fun with the Etched Pixels 07 shunter that fits on an 04 shunter chassis. You need the conical chimney from the 04 for the exhaust on the 07, and you also really need the large round SR buffers, rather than the smaller ones fitted to the 04. I liberated buffers from an old Farish 33, or any old Farish loco with round brass buffers, or also available from BH Enterprises or BR Lines. You also need to fabricate air cylinders from plasticard, and windows from acetate sheet, but it is a well designed kit, which is what you need.

Although it was the Southampton Docks shunter from 1962 - 1977, after that some of these went into industrial use so have a look at Heljan's OO version for example liveries (07007 was restored to BR blue livery and was used in Eastleigh Works in Era 9, for example).

The kit and the chassis

Testing out the bonnets on the soldered footplate

All details added

Painted, weathered, just needs glazing.

I found the smaller parts and the detail overlays were easier to use superglue to locate, once the structure had been soldered. Otherwise I found bits falling off because the brass got hot where I didnt want it to! I didnt fit handrails as these are indicated on the etch and that to me was a stage too far.

Hope this inspires and encourages you.
Bob

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 09:14:17 AM »
There aren't that many etched loco kits of any kind in N Gauge. Resin body kits were more common, and 3d prints from the likes of Shapeways have generally replaced them.

BH Enterprises do/did some etched shunter kits:

Hunslet DY1 0-4-0 (requires Arnold  Köf II or Köf III chassis)
Hunslet  DJ13  (Class  05)  0-6-0  (requires  Minitrix  Dock  Tank chassis)
Hudswell Clarke D2/7 Later 2/14 (D2500-D2509)
Hudswell Clarke D2/12 Later 2/14A (D2510-D2519)

The Hudswell Clarke D2/12 fits on the Farish 03/04 chassis.

You'll find a lot more etched loco kits in OO9 (i.e. 4mm scale, narrow gauge) from the likes of Backwoods Miniatures, Nigel Lawton and Narrow Planet. (Backwoods aren't trading at the moment but you may find some of their kits on eBay).

The Worsley Works scratch-building aids are well thought out and fit together well but have limited instructions. You also need to find your own chassis and buy detailing bits separately.

Steven B.

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 09:22:50 AM »
BH Enterprises
Hunslet  DJ13  (Class  05)  0-6-0  (requires  Minitrix  Dock  Tank chassis)

Hi

I have one of these unbuilt if you are interested send me a PM.

Cheers

Paul
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:23:53 AM by PaulCheffus »
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »
Nbrass also do a few steamers

https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/nloco.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:35:57 AM by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Eggmarine

• N Gauge Society Number: 27026
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
Hello Eggmarine

I would say avoid Worsley Works kits as these are "scratch aids" designed for people that are happy to fiddle. You are not quite at that stage yet.

For a kit that has tags to locate the parts, I had great fun with the Etched Pixels 07 shunter that fits on an 04 shunter chassis. You need the conical chimney from the 04 for the exhaust on the 07, and you also really need the large round SR buffers, rather than the smaller ones fitted to the 04. I liberated buffers from an old Farish 33, or any old Farish loco with round brass buffers, or also available from BH Enterprises or BR Lines. You also need to fabricate air cylinders from plasticard, and windows from acetate sheet, but it is a well designed kit, which is what you need.

Although it was the Southampton Docks shunter from 1962 - 1977, after that some of these went into industrial use so have a look at Heljan's OO version for example liveries (07007 was restored to BR blue livery and was used in Eastleigh Works in Era 9, for example).

The kit and the chassis

Testing out the bonnets on the soldered footplate

All details added

Painted, weathered, just needs glazing.

I found the smaller parts and the detail overlays were easier to use superglue to locate, once the structure had been soldered. Otherwise I found bits falling off because the brass got hot where I didnt want it to! I didnt fit handrails as these are indicated on the etch and that to me was a stage too far.

Hope this inspires and encourages you.
Bob

Thanks everyone for some very useful advice.

Hi Bob, that's a fantastic model and indeed it's inspiring, hopefully i'll be that good one day! I do have an affection for small industrial shunters so the class 07 would be ideal. I'm reluctant to spend on an 04 chassis however only to find out it isn't my thing, so maybe i'll look at this after doing my apprenticeship on something else.

Thanks Steve i might well be able to get my hands on  a minitrix dock tank if i can bribe the right person...

Paul i'll send you a PM.

Thanks all   :wave:

Offline nabber

• N Gauge Society Number: 21030
  • 2mm Association Number: 5295
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 12:03:46 PM »
The 2mm Scale Association have a taster kit with a wagon (plastic body, but etched chassis) and some track, available to non-members for £8.50
http://2mm.org.uk/products/nms/index.html
This might be a cheap way to test your soldering before going for a whole loco. The 2mm SA kits are generally well designed, with reasonable instructions.

Regards,
Neil

Offline PGN

• N Gauge Society Number: 7306
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 09:43:05 PM »
I'd heartily recommend the N Brass Locomotives G6 0-6-0.

The one which appears in my profile pic was my first (and so far only) etched brass locomotive build. It's glue construction rather than solder (thought I'd tackle one new thing at a time ... but my rolling stock builds are now solder, so hopefully a soldered locomotive will follow soon). Very clear instructions, went together very well, and won a Bronze award at the BGS model making competition. (Was a bit disappointed it didn't earn a silver ... but hey, not bad for a first effort.)
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal