!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco PL25 electromagnet uncoupling - does anybody have it working?  (Read 218 times)

Online Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
We are part way thro a major rebuild at Derby MMRG n gauge layout to build in a multi siding shunting area, Loco shed and Peco turntable.
Last night I wired in 4 Peco PL25 electro magnets using a 16vac supply and tested it with nearly new Peco open wagons fitted with Peco lift arms. Arm settings as per instructions. All mounted to Peco 55 track.
Basically the electro magnets are so weak that they will only just lift a coupling of a static single wagon thatís not coupled to another wagon.
Have we just wasted good money on Peco proprietary equipment which should work?
Iíve searched on here and whilst there are posts from years back with people self winding their own electromagnets and changing for fixed undertrack magnets and making servo lifting pins, Iím just wondering how a major supplier is making and selling a system that doesnít in itself work.
Iíve tried PL25 units bought many years back, in sealed packets as well as new ones bought last week, Iíve changed the ac supply unit, Iíve tried 4 new Peco wagons.
As yard shunting is part of the new scheme what the heck do we do next?
Surely one of our members has found the answers.
(Dapol easishunt was looked at but would be horrendously expensive for club members so is definite NOT a considered option).

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Peco PL25 electromagnet uncoupling - does anybody have it working?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »
First thing that springs to mind (although I use a mix of Gaugemaster and self-wound electromagnets but the principle is the same) how far up through the baseboard are the rods of your uncouplers protruding?
I've found that the ones I use really need to have the end of the rod at sleeper top level.

I use mine on 12v DC, rather than 16v AC, because I use tiny magnets glued to the couplings so a constantly reversing current (and magnetic field) doesn't give me a reliable uncouple, since the couplings bounce up and down at 50Hz. I do, however, have to get the polarity right because I want the magnet to be repelled so as to lift the coupling.

I've found that this setup does also work fine with the Peco lift arms fitted - I bought some s/h wagons and didn't notice that a few had the arms fitted until the wrong wagons in a  rake uncoupled  :D
That will be handy at the club if we ever mix stock between mine and the club's.

Maybe it'd be worth you giving it a try on 12v DC instead of the 16v AC, to see if that's any better?

Online Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »
Thanks Chris, I was actually wondering about the oscillating effect and was wondering about fitting a diode bridge to the 16vac to make it dc, then as you say work out the correct polarity.
Can you please  pm me some photos of your wagon couplings with added magnets?
Ooh ahh nearly forgot, the steel pins are at sleeper height of the code 55 track.

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 10:15:08 AM »
Can you please  pm me some photos of your wagon couplings with added magnets?

Yep, I'll see if I can run some off - hopefully later today when I've finished a bit of work I'm doing underneath Broughton and can lay the baseboard back down so I can get to my best lighting source for taking pics.

Ooh ahh nearly forgot, the steel pins are at sleeper height of the code 55 track.

Rats, that's the simple fix already eliminated  :worried:

Online Chris Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 05:09:43 PM »
I have successfully used the Gaugemaster electro magnets. I was told these are stronger than the Peco ones.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 05:15:04 PM »
You don't need to buy the Peco lift arms. Drill a hole in the coupling and glue a bent staple in place. It works just as well.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 05:16:08 PM by Chris Morris »
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 07:50:42 PM »
I have found that the Peco Electro-Magnets are rather weak  compared to other E-Ms for the same current supply (remember it's current [amps] that dictates the strength of the magnet, rather than voltage). We use either Seep/Gaugemaster or PK from Wizard Models.

As suggested above the constant field of a DC supply is a bit better than AC for the same current.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:39:23 AM by PLD »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal