!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Early Grafar rolling stock  (Read 158 times)

Offline KevinM723

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Early Grafar rolling stock
« on: January 23, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
Hi,

I am running some of my Grandad's vintage rolling stock mainly Grafar, 1970s I think, and encountering some issues.  I think I can work through coupling issues be retrofitting NEM pockets, however I am having issues with axles falling off.

My Grandad was something of an engineer and some of the rolling stock he removed the plastic axles and machined up brass replacements but the bogies on some carriages are stretching or the holes the axles sit in are wearing, and then we have some of the moulding issues of the early plastic wheels.

Any tips other than replacing bogies/truck chassis and getting new wheel sets?

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Early Grafar rolling stock
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
In terms of coaching stock, you can get replacement bogies for any of the bogie stock (they all used the same BR Mk1 bogie, even on Pullmans and suburbans).

These are new so should have no wear, but you will have to replace the loop couplers with later sprung mount ones. These bogies are also made for later silver tread metal wheels, so you may be better chucking the wheels you have and replacing with those - they aren't directly available, but many people have loads from wheel changes - I have tonnes of them for example.

Also, if you push on with the existing wheels, I'd check for burrs and anything on the axle ends that could really be damaging the axle boxes - generally I've never seen wear on these with standard wheels, even on the absolute oldest of stock. Occasionally bogies look to have frames bent or warped outwards making wheel fit loose, but I've always just bent them back to square and they've been fine.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Early Grafar rolling stock
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 09:03:32 PM »
If an axle is falling out, remove it and try gentle pressure on both axleboxes to bend them a little closer together, then refit the axle. If necessary dip the axleboxes in hot water first to soften the plastic a little.

Back in my British N days I used to like some of old Grafar stock, simple but did the job.  I didn't even mind the "U-bend" couplings within semi-permanently coupled trains.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal