!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minitrix Ivatt 2 6 0 Traction Wheel Axel - Move from front to rear?  (Read 252 times)

Offline scanner22

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hi all,
I have a Minitrix Ivatt 2 6 0 that runs very well, except that it slips very badly. The loco will run well by itself but as soon as I couple up anyting, it starts to slip. I have changed the traction tyres from the old - hardened/smooth - and have replaced with heat shrink tubing which helped with traction a bit but has not solved the problem.

I have noticed that the engine has more traction when run in reverse pulling coaches and I am assuming this is the same type of effect as a front wheel drive v.s. real wheel drive car where the front wheel drive car can spin its wheels much easier than an equivilent rear wheel car.

It currently has its traction wheels on the front axel, but am considering swaping this axel with the rear to get the traction wheels to the back.

Any issue to watch out for here?

I think I may need to investigate adding some weight as well but wanted to try moving the axels first.

Many Thanks all.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Minitrix Ivatt 2 6 0 Traction Wheel Axel - Move from front to rear?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »
With this old model it's the lack of weight over the drivers and the stiffness of the tender wheel/pickup arrangement that are its downfall.  The German class 24 with the same chassis is the same. I had two or three.

Some folk have been lucky with theirs, and some folk have found just the right tweaks to get better haulage.  I just gave up and junked them years ago.

Actually I think I did experiment with adding traction tyred wheels to the rear axles on one of mine.  It had a little effect, but really it is the lack of weight that kills it. The 2-6-2T is so much better with its decent tank weights.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »
I would not alter the factory arrangement - you'd be better replacing the tyres with proper grippy Minitrix originals - available from Peter's spares. If it's slipping like you describe then the old tyres were shot, and what you replaced them with, to be blunt, is little better.

Also, the model relies on the rear driving wheels for pickup - while there are tender pickups, they aren't always reliable and the material the tender wheels are made from tends to pick up dirt heavily and quickly.

To put in context, I've rebuilt many of these, and typically they will tow 10 free rolling Mk1 coaches no problem. Many can't get a modern Farish Castle to tow as much. I need to get round to doing a video showing the actual potential of a well sorted one of these.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
stiffness of the tender wheel/pickup arrangement that are its downfall.

That can be easily sorted by backing off the pickup tension - I do this on all Minitrix tender steamers - the default setting is far too stiff, but would have been less noticable when new as the tyres would have been so much more effective then.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline scanner22

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 11:45:34 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

Will have look at the tension on the tender and look into some proper traction tyres!
Might have a play around with some wieght as well.

Thanks again.    :thankyousign:

Offline Bigmac

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 06:21:46 PM »
I would not alter the factory arrangement - you'd be better replacing the tyres with proper grippy Minitrix originals - available from Peter's spares. If it's slipping like you describe then the old tyres were shot, and what you replaced them with, to be blunt, is little better.

Also, the model relies on the rear driving wheels for pickup - while there are tender pickups, they aren't always reliable and the material the tender wheels are made from tends to pick up dirt heavily and quickly.

To put in context, I've rebuilt many of these, and typically they will tow 10 free rolling Mk1 coaches no problem. Many can't get a modern Farish Castle to tow as much. I need to get round to doing a video showing the actual potential of a well sorted one of these.

Cheers,
Alan

pulling 10 coaches..??  that i really would like to see.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Offline Bigmac

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 05:12:21 PM »
how do i remove the loco body off the chassis-?-i want to get to the motor..but not upset the driving wheels and gears

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 05:23:05 PM »
@Bigmac  take the smokebox door off and there is a screw inside
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Bigmac

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
how do i remove the loco body off the chassis-?-i want to get to the motor..but not upset the driving wheels and gears

yep--i remembered that--in fact--the smokebox door just falls off. i wasnt sure if the screws under the chassis keeper plate come off..just dont want those axles going walkabout.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 05:47:02 PM »

yep--i remembered that--in fact--the smokebox door just falls off. i wasnt sure if the screws under the chassis keeper plate come off..just dont want those axles going walkabout.

Well yes they will come off, but they have nothing to do with securing the bodyshell. Leave well alone if you don't want the fun of re-quartering wheels, re-fitting the pickups behind the wheel flanges etc.  :D

Offline Bigmac

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 06:09:38 PM »

Well yes they will come off, but they have nothing to do with securing the bodyshell. Leave well alone if you don't want the fun of re-quartering wheels, re-fitting the pickups behind the wheel flanges etc.  :D

that wicked grin says it all.  says he who undid the screws under a 9f.  it had to go back to hornby..who sent me a brand new replacement.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal