!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sound and Stay alive - Ivatt 2mt  (Read 256 times)

Offline Dannyproc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Sound and Stay alive - Ivatt 2mt
« on: January 20, 2020, 01:50:43 PM »
I thought I would share my experience of adding sound and stay alive to this loco.

I always add stay alive regardless of space limitations. Other than varying the height of the enclosure from model to model, I only ever use full size sugar cube speakers. Anything smaller doesn’t work for me and sounds naff.

If the loco has a tender I always like to close the gap down to a realistic distance too.

Finally I’ll add a real coal load, fit the crew and finish off with weathering.

Here’s a picture of the Finished job on my layout.

Space is tight on this model but everything fits fine in the end. The decoder sits towards the back of the tender with the SACC16 board on top.

I soldered two capacitors together as tightly as I could. I drilled two small holes either side in the tender chassis to connect to the capacitors. (2x flat 470uf tantalum capacitors) I had to remove the plastic detailing in between the wheels to locate these. The moulded detail here serves no purpose as it’s underneath the tender and not really visible. A blob of black tac allowed me to locate it so none of the wheels or axles touch and create drag. Then I used a tiny bit of superglue once happy.

A third 470uf capacitors seemed to fit nicely in this crevice. In order to get the speaker to fit, I had to mill down some of the “thickness” of the coal area sides. It goes through nicely after this and no compromise to the model.

Finally, to shorten the tender gap is super easy and took 5 minutes. Just cut some clearance away from the inside of the drawbar, cut the plastic end shorter and the brass wires - then simply bend the brass wires around the pickup bar. Very effective.

Looks and sounds great. With 1440uf of backup, I ran it down my layout on slowest speed and it literally took half an hour! It didn’t stall once.

Here’s a quick video ;

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: Sound and Stay alive - Ivatt 2mt
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:18:48 PM »
Outstanding work. And a great video. Thank you for posting.

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 11:13:53 PM »
excellent work!

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:25:40 PM »
Very nice. Please elaborate on how you shortened the tender gap. I assume you moved the drawbar pivot point on the tender?

Offline Dannyproc

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 01:28:33 AM »
Very nice. Please elaborate on how you shortened the tender gap. I assume you moved the drawbar pivot point on the tender?

Thankfully so much more simple. It’s literally so easy on this design and looks so much better - especially if you glue the roof joining detail piece in place after.

The picture above of the capacitors on the underside of the tender shows the drawbar etc before I had modified the gap to be shorter. I will upload a clear pic of the modification when I get a chance to take it. Just a case of cutting it shorter, can’t really go wrong!

Offline Dannyproc

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »

Here you go. Pics should show what I mean. I have pinched the wires to kind of pull the tender closer as well, and keep it there but with some ‘give’ that wires naturally have.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal