!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Baseboard Sizes For New Layout - Help Please!  (Read 286 times)

Offline SidneyUK

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Baseboard Sizes For New Layout - Help Please!
« on: January 19, 2020, 05:40:39 PM »
Hi Guys

I am constructing a layout in my converted loft, maximum size of space is 3m x 1m and I'm wondering how I should split the baseboards.  I want to be able to get them out of the loft for various reasons, loft hatch is very large, 1m x 0.75m.

Would love to pick the brains of the more experienced members and what you think.

I have attached drawings of both the main layout and the fiddle yard.

Many thanks for you help guys!

Chris

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Baseboard Sizes For New Layout - Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 06:27:44 PM »
So how does the fiddle yard connect to the main layout? Are you saying the overall flat space is 3m x 1m and the fiddleyard sits next to the main layout?

This is my main exhibition layout.  At approx 3.9m x 1m, it splits into 4 front boards 38" x 19" and 4 matching fiddleyard boards. That size comes from what would fit in my estate car back in the mid 90s.  I guess they would be ok to go through a loft hatch if they needed to (though flippin' awkward and heavy to lift I would imagine  :D)

A little observation: make your fiddleyard tracks further spaced out than normal running lines, so you can get your fingers in to place and remove stock, sort out derailments etc.  :)  Hopefully in that photo you can also see I made the yard pointwork form a parallelogram as much as possible, so that each track is the same length. That way I can run any train into any line, I'm not limited to having to have the long freight in the longest track (for example).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:26:23 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline SidneyUK

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »
Hi

Yes, fiddle yard fits next to the main layout and yes overall space is 3x1 metre.  I was thinking 3x 0.5m boards or similar, pretty similar to yours!

Thank you for tips on fiddle yard, will definitely space more!  Tracks in fiddle yard are pretty much as long as i can do, but will make them.

Separate note, what radius curves have you got on each end?

Many thanks

Chris

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »

Separate note, what radius curves have you got on each end?

Hi Chris.  9" minimum on the inside, and I guess 10.5" outside. It seems some recent British N doesn't like to go that tight, but I run European N for which 9" almost never a problem (if it were then there would be uproar from modellers on the continent who use Minitrix and Fleischmann track which goes down to something more like 8"  :D )

I used Setrack points (9") in the yard to give me more length in each line.  They've not been a problem in the 22 years the layout's been running, but I would prefer live frogs.

[ps - I've made the photo a big bigger / clearer)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:27:08 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 09:39:50 PM »
I guess it also depends on what your baseboards are made of. I generally use nominal 2" x 1" timber topped with 9mm sundeala and, weight wise, would not want to lug around boards bigger than 4ft x 2ft in old money. A simpler construction of, maybe, 9mm ply all round would allow larger boards.

Offline SidneyUK

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:42:18 PM »
Hi

I haven't decided on material yet, was thinking of lazer cut boards to reduce weight or make my own from ply, as you said to reduce the weight.

Have borrowed a nice pillar drill, so cutting plenty of holes will reduce the weight but keep the strength if done correctly.

Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 09:49:17 PM »
That sounds like a plan, Chris

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 08:39:40 AM »
Currently building boards for my loft, modern truss house. I’m screwing battons to the trusses for the boards to sit on. The actual boards I’m using 18 x 94 mm for the frames allows plenty of space between the battons there going to sit on and underside of the ply for point motors and electrical wizardry but there also deep enough I can cut some chunks out to allow some rolling scenery lower than the ply, I reckon I can cut sections of ply out and drop the support frame at least 3cm and loose no strength. Or I could cut the frames deeper maybe 5cm and just screw another reinforcing licence of timber inside to double up the remaining 4cm of frame. For the tops I’ve used 6mm ply, all from Wickes. I’ve used standard size of 6mm ply at 600mm wide by 1.2 m long, reasonable size and not much weight, not weighed the, but I’d guess 5kg or so per board. I. Going to bolt 5 of these boards end to end and sit them inside the trusses lengthwise down the loft. I’ve then made a further 4 boards 1.2m by 50cm, theses bolted end to end in pairs to join into the others to make a regtangular runaround layout some 2.4m wide and 7m long. I’m then going to make 5 sections of 1.2m long by 30cm wise boards which will bolt end to end and sit in the main area of the loft so I get to see a good run of track/scenery (and a huge viaduct) without the trusses blocking my view. The main boards on the side of the thin boards most likely be a huge storage sidings I think. But possible scenic and stick on boxes undecided at the minute, but I have potential to stretch it all to 14m long.... now all I need is a track plan to fit the boards...

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 09:12:51 AM »
The one thing I will say from decades of experience taking layouts to shows is keep the boards quite small - ie. no longer than a yard or metre or so, and not too deep.  It's much easier to carry and manoeuvre smaller boards through tight spaces such as loft hatches, and if manageable by one person even better.  Yes keep the weight down too.

If you use pattern maker's dowels, accurately constructed boards and secure the track ends at the joints they will line up perfectly every time you assemble.

Here's the main layout (ie. as per my earlier overhead photo) loaded in current car

... and these are a different set of boards (38" x 12")

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 01:09:10 PM »
You didn't by any chance used to be an undertaker, did you? :uneasy: ;)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 02:41:37 PM »
You didn't by any chance used to be an undertaker, did you? :uneasy: ;)

Hehe - no, but my operating team do refer to them as "coffins"  :D   

With the handles on the end, three of us can take the whole lot from car to hall (or back again) in one long "train"  :)

Oh and they do get strapped down in the car, they're not left loose like that  :D

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal