!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish - early Chinese- 2 6 0 Crab. Gear teeth gone?  (Read 304 times)

Offline scanner22

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Farish - early Chinese- 2 6 0 Crab. Gear teeth gone?
« on: January 16, 2020, 10:00:02 PM »
Hi all- any advice from anyone with experience here would be appreciated.
My Farish - early Chinese made - Crab has stopped running. Motor spins but wheels don’t move.

I understand that the main gear can go on  these. I’ve managed to take a fairly close up picture of the teeth.

The teeth are there but squared off. I am assuming that these are worn  too far?
 Can any one help confirm please?

As well the motor cradle seems to be tight and not cracked so not thinking it is a loose cradle causing gaping issues between the worm and the gear.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:01:54 PM by scanner22 »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Farish - early Chinese- 2 6 0 Crab. Gear teeth gone?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 12:03:19 AM »
Yeah, I'd replace that, but it does beg the question what's the underlying cause of the excessive wear?   I'm sure Doctor Al will be along with excellent advice on the correct part and what else to check for etc.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 12:51:57 AM »
Common problem - two reasons

- softer material used for the gear
- not always the best seating of the motor armature cradle on some Bachfarish production, so the mesh of the worm can be affected. This is not at the worm end, but actually at the commutator end - the crimp connection to the block tends to be poor (often glued).

I usually change these out for older original Farish gears which are a less soft material and don't tend to suffer this (unless very badly mistreated!!).

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:53:47 AM by Dr Al, Reason: more info »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 12:53:06 AM »
P.s. if you need a repair, feel free to let me know - I've changed plenty of these before.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline scanner22

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 10:57:58 AM »
Thanks for this guys.

I can only find a replacement gear from BR lines as the- GF2502  (for a 2 pack which I assume is meant for 2x diesel boogies).
Is this would you would replace with Dr Al?

Also, it has been many years now since I pulled the motor down on these types of loco's and have forgotten how to do it. Can you quickly explain how I get the armature out so that I can check the bushing as well please?

Many thanks again guys.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
I can only find a replacement gear from BR lines as the- GF2502  (for a 2 pack which I assume is meant for 2x diesel boogies).

This is the correct gear - it's used on many models.

Also, it has been many years now since I pulled the motor down on these types of loco's and have forgotten how to do it. Can you quickly explain how I get the armature out so that I can check the bushing as well please?

Don't remove it - just visually inspect it at the commutator end - is it raised, or even loose at that end.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline scanner22

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 11:27:38 AM »
Thanks - I did check for any looseness in the cradle but couldn't find and it doesn't look high. The armature is parallel to the angled chassis casing at that point so am assuming this is confirmation the armature is in the right position.  I didn't check any play in the bushing though.

Can I ask for advice on changing the gear please.
Any tips on how to get the wheel of square (I assume these ones won't be splined) to avoid damaging it? And to mark the position to ensure the quartering goes back on at the correct angle?

Many thanks again!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 12:37:13 PM »
I didn't check any play in the bushing though.

Presumably you mean the armature bearings. I wouldn't worry about them - the armature would stick, or run rough if they were damaged.

Can I ask for advice on changing the gear please.
Any tips on how to get the wheel of square (I assume these ones won't be splined) to avoid damaging it?

You need a worm puller. The axle ends are splined, but the wheel centre is of relatively soft plastic, so you should exercise care in this process.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline scanner22

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »
Thanks - yes I did mean the bearings.

I was wondering about the puller until I had a look at another pic I had taken last night and realised the axles poke through the wheels so that you can get the puller pin onto the axel to get things moving -I had thought the axles were contained within the wheel housing itself and you had no access to them from the outside.

Thanks for the advice about being soft plastic. Puller is on order!

I am getting back into modelling and am getting a layout up and running after a few years. I have many locos in the cupboards that I will be needing to get out and get running again, so would appreciate if you could talk me through how to get the armature out as I'm sure one of the locos will need to have something to fix in this area please.

Many thanks again for the support and advice  :no:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 02:55:30 PM »
On armature cradles - if Bachmann Farish, I'd try and avoid removing at all costs, given that they are often glued. Most maintenance should be capable of being done without armature removal.

Poole produced models, the cradle just lifts from front once screw removed and slides forward to release from rear dovetails.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline scanner22

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 07:20:44 PM »
Thanks for the information.

I’ve just started to unpack bits and bobs and actually came across my notes from a few years ago on what repairs I had made on what loco. (It’s been a good few years since I’ve done any modelling) it seems that this Crab has had a new 25t gear because the same problem has occurred when I first had out or it was like that when I got it. I also replaced the armature bushes as well.

So given that there is no play in the armature and the cradle and I had replaced the 25t gear with the replacement from BR lines, then the only conclusion I can come to is that’s gapping between work and gear is a little too far apart.

Anything else I am missing here?

Many thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:22:02 PM by scanner22 »

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here