!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cobalt IP point motors and Setrack points  (Read 199 times)

Offline Alan Kyte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 29032
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Cobalt IP point motors and Setrack points
« on: January 14, 2020, 12:37:02 PM »
Hi all,

Has anyone ever used Cobalt with Setrack points?, if so did you remove the springs, as I gather its a heck of lot more sloppy compared to non-Setrack points.  Not too worried about it not being a realistic action.. Wish I hadn't used SeTrack to start with, but that's a learning curve for when I do another layout.

My points are already fitted down.

Many thanks

Alan
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Cobalt IP point motors and Setrack points
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 03:06:50 PM »
Not sure about Setrack points being more "sloppy" - if anything I've found they tend to be stiffer than Streamline pointwork.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Alan Kyte

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 03:47:49 PM »
Not sure about Setrack points being more "sloppy" - if anything I've found they tend to be stiffer than Streamline pointwork.

Sorry, I meant with the spring removed, agree they are stiffer with the spring in place..
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »
I don't.

But I do use Tortoise motors with streamline points and I remove the springs as the actuating wire isn't stiff enough. I would suggest removing the spring, but if the points are laid that will be hard, or using stiffer wire if the Cobalts don't work.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:46:42 PM »
Shouldn't be any harder to remove the spring on laid points. Without the spring they are totally floppy, yes, and thus need a latching motor (like the Cobalt).

Offline Alan Kyte

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 10:55:32 PM »
Shouldn't be any harder to remove the spring on laid points. Without the spring they are totally floppy, yes, and thus need a latching motor (like the Cobalt).

Finally fitted it tonight, a lot easier on the alignment than my previous attempts with Seep PM1's, yep it works fine with the spring in place, as much as I'm tempted to remove the spring I'll leave that till my next layout with some code 55.. Thanks for your help guys, it gave me confidence to give it a try!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal