!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Direct Rail Services awarded Ford car freight train contract  (Read 3077 times)

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
Re: Direct Rail Services awarded Ford car freight train contract
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 05:23:32 PM »
Yeah, 90 minutes at Wembley, plus an hour at Crewe. Guess it's still far quicker than moving that volume of cars by road. 6-8 cars per IPA, 40ish per rake, so that's c300 cars per train.

Yeah that's still around 30 cars an hour, so much quicker than by road.

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 05:28:02 PM »
And I still remem ber class 85s  or 47s waiting in rugby adjacent to the down fast waiting a path north with cartics.that was before 2006 and the extensive remodelling. The time waiting is probably for a path to proceed

85s with Cartics was a long time before 2006 ;)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »
 Yes I know a fine sight thundering through warrington, crewe, and rattling window panes. I remember around 1987 Stratford to Camden road electrification was completed and have 1987 to 88 photos of the class on the southern end the wcml with the silcock express. And 1988 to 91 later shots in rugby, crewe, warrington
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:39:41 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 06:00:45 PM »
I don't think any more class 88s will be built, as its replacement is the tri mode class 93....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_93_(Stadler)
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 06:33:15 PM »
And I still remem ber class 85s  or 47s waiting in rugby adjacent to the down fast waiting a path north with cartics.that was before 2006 and the extensive remodelling. The time waiting is probably for a path to proceed

Although some would like to believe otherwise, the WCML is a busy stretch of railway, with competing demand from stopping passenger trains, inter city services, freight trains, and daytime engineering possessions. Weaving a freight train across the North London line with a metro frequency of service is an additional challenge, mirrored at the Crewe to Garston section where overtaking or being overtaken are not on the cards.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
It's interesting that the Wikipedia article explicitly says the 88 is a 'full' bi-mode loco

This us where it gets wierd the 88 are true bi-modal trains but like the class 73 when in diesel mode with the loss of power its traction effort is reduced as a light engine there is not much loss in performance, but say on the intermodal runs it does the train will be reduced to 40mph max.
So yes it is fully bi-modal in the engineering sense however operationally speaking the diesel mode is only used as a last mile engine and that was the intended idea for DRS. Of course as I say when working in tandem with a light load such as a flask they still have the power to maintain service speed but generally will work with a 68 so they can run at full speed on higher power settings.

I don't think any more class 88s will be built, as its replacement is the tri mode class 93....

No reason why mode 68 or 88s cannot be produced these and the proposed class 93s are part of the same modular family based around the same package.

I hadn't realised current day freight ran quite so slowly still. 0818 to 1700 from Dagenham to Garston.

AS other have said there are holding points along the route, but additionally other factors are operational which is often looked over:
Firstly Planning - so the late night 6X41 (Dagenham 0035 - Garston 0757) is planned to avoid the late night depot rush from Euston to Willesden, it is then planned to use the WCML "slow lines" through Northampton between Hanslope Jn and Rugby which it doesn't always use but is planned for that as its the slower route.
On arrival it Crewe it waits for 80min this is to allow the depot rush of trains moving into service get out of Crewe and position for the peak hour services.
As part of this planning also there are restrictions at either end to contend with and the over night train is held at Crewe additionally as no trains are allowed on to the Garston site until 0730. This also actually has an impact on Jaguar services which when it runs are normally parked next to each other in Basford Hall waiting to depart.

Service Speed Vs Max Speed - if you look on Real time it states max speed but generally freight doesn't run at max speed and it timed to run below that so these car trains are generally timed to run at about 40 - 50 mph, which during the day service it generally does not exceed but on the night service they do tend to run ahead of time and at max speed rather than service speed as they don't have to fight with passenger traffic for space and run the risk of hitting red signals which the day time service would be guaranteed to should it run at max speed rather and service speed.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »
Gareth . I guess freightliner garston / crewe have the same issues with patching/ planning on the flows to southampton, london gateway and felix Stowe? AND what with the wcml through winsford, weaver junction will be interesting the timings on both the FL and DRS seeking to run and what paths they are given. Chris

Offline acko22

• PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 12:14:11 AM »
The Garston FL trains have it easier as there are less restrictions on the intermodal terminal compared to the ford site although other locations FL do have some restrictions.

With the WCML the worst part for routing is between Wembley and Crewe its recognised as the single busiest freight route in the UK so getting paths is a challenge, with this though I imagine DRS will just take up the paths currently allocated for those services unless Ford are wanting more services running which from pure observation isn't the case currently as there are days they don't run both of the two allocated trains.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 10:01:58 AM »
Yes, no reason to assume it'll be contentious in that respect - as you say it doesn't seem to be an uplift in traffic. Interesting to note the 88s (even on AC) have markedly less power than the 92s, whether that reinforces the likelihood of pairs.

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 10:38:26 AM »
On nuclear flask traffic, two locos are always used to ensure the train gets somewhere safe in the event of one loco failing. The power output of a class 88 on AC power is 5400hp compared to 3000 of the class 66s currently used on the Ford trains. I can't see DRS needing to double head for any other reasons than failures or loco moves.

The comparison with the class 92 is interesting. It's worth remembering that the power requirements for channel tunnel work (what the class was built for) was very onerous. The Le Shuttle passenger/car/lorry locos had to manage with traction motors on one bogie being out of action and for one loco to be able to haul a complete train plus dead loco up the steepest gradients in the tunnel. I supspect the high power output of the class 92 was as a result of similar requirements.

Steven B.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 10:53:48 AM »
Yes I had in mind they were using 92s on the Ford flow, I think it’s one of the other Garston flows which often uses GBRF 92s.

You’re quite right about the 92s - they’re basically two separate locos in one body shell and are hideously complex! They also weigh 126t versus 86t for an 88! Clearly compared to a 66 the 88s will be fine!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2020, 11:32:08 AM »
Nick. Google class 92 garston extensive info on rmweb and very comprehensive info there, will take too much space and time to type here

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 11:44:48 AM »
Mmm, Google does suggest 92s are used on the Ford flow, didn’t think I was imagining it. Are they using 66s as true “last mile” locos as the 92s can’t get into the terminals?

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
92s I've seen on the Jaguar coils and widnes aluminium but mainly willesden daventry intermodal and through Kensington Olympia heading for dollands moor plus the Db schenker. Main issue could be suitably qualified drivers with traction and route knowledge. But gareth has made a very interesting point
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:00:01 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »
Well DRS definitely won't be using 92s! DB only use 92s between Dollands Moor and Wembley via HS1 now I believe (and can't use them any further north, nor on the classic lines).

GBRF have been using them on cars for sure - like I say it's often a Calendonian Sleeper loco (not my picture):

92038 by Alan Padley, on Flickr

Or back in DB days a 90 and three 92s!

6L48 Garston to Dagenham by viscount43, on Flickr

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything