!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Clifton Wood AWJ themed processing plant  (Read 1245 times)

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
Clifton Wood AWJ themed processing plant
« on: January 12, 2020, 10:57:31 PM »
Well, like the title suggests a little project happened upon,  in literally 3hours it had gone from something small to a box file layout.

This morning I made time to get up into working on the layout. Problem I have at the moment is I'm waiting on bits for every bit that needs finishing.

As my sturgeons are on imminent arrival I was cracking on with my code 40 track panels and boy do they go together well. I'm almost tempted to build the layout with it.

Not knowing how well this would work I ordered quite a few lengths. I've made my 36 panels up and still had 6 full rail lengths and 2 bags of sleepers left. Now with the workbench thread and the hope that people enjoy seeing what I'm mashing up I felt I needed a nice photographic board.

As we have board 1 being stripped at the moment I happen to have a complete sheet of sundela not doing anything. My plan was to make up 2 pieces of code 40, 480mm long and ballast them with a bit of scenery and a back scene.

Something nice looking to make the project photos look a bit more real. I then thought if I put a point in and linked the tracks i could push stock from one line to another. But if I'm doing that I might as well put power to it and use it as a test bed.

Well if I'm doing that I might as well make a small layout, like 2 boxfiles long with another as a cassette/fiddle yard.

Now the MAIN layout is moving at quite a pace but other then 16ft dead straight twin track mainline I can do nothing more then run a train up and back down. All good but not very exciting. This is a layout built with my dad, yet we dont get to spend much time together with work commitments and the fact he lives 64mile away from me.

So a quick chat with him today and we agreed that a little play thing would be ideal, he could even take it home with him!!!

I emptied 2 box files from the office and cut another piece of sundela to line the bottom. Now I've never built a little layout like this so I went looking for a bit of inspiration and got nowhere. Theres some very well detailed and very good box files here on the forum but I wasnt here to copy someone elses. Theres not much that can be done but I thought I'd try to be a bit different.

The problem with box files are their only 360mm long. By the time you've put 2 medium points on it as a crossover you've lost 3/4 of the first box.

So as this will just use our 2MT tanks, M7s and a little something I think I'll be treating us too  :hmmm: I raided the setrack box and have put this together as the beginnings of it.

Simple SR station, goods yard, coal merchant, loco service depot and a couple of other bits BUT hopefully a bit interesting to play with.

Still quite a few decisions to be made but I plan to crack on with it and get the track finalised, wired and glued this week. Hopefully get it ballasted as well in between building the proper layout and finishing hundreds of coach repaints.

Any advice or pitfalls of box files I'd love to know

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:36:35 AM by exmouthcraig »

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Why cant you finish one project before starting another???
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 06:39:22 AM »

Any advice or pitfalls of box files I'd love to know

I think the gradient at the top end might be a tad problematic  :D

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 06:42:02 AM »
 :uneasy: :hmmm:

How am I  going to get the trains in and out???

:smiley-laughing: :D ;D

Just need to confirm the line angle so I dont cut the hole in the wrong place to fit the point.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 05:06:42 PM »
A full update on this is on it's way once a couple of bits have been finalised.

The name has now been decided upon. EXHAM.

This has robbed a few ideas from Littleham on the Exmouth to Sidmouth branch just before Budleigh Salterton. It had a small station, goods shed, a platform mounted signal box right beside the level crossing. It was closed March 1967 after the axe had swung. This would of been the closest station to my parent house so like most of the SR around Exeter we have a smidge of knowledge about bits and pieces.

As it's not exact the name was settled by using bits from Exmouth (parents closest station) and Littleham.

To make things a bit more interesting I've built the Ratio coal/builders merchant building. According to many sources coal merchants under the cover of a building of this type were few and far between. My idea was to build this as a Builders Merchant who also sells coal!!!

The office has a chair and table, the one bay has a floor to truss racking for the timber side and the middle bay is currently waiting for a couple of pallets of bits and pieces to fill it. They have their own company coloured Karrier Bantam flatbed truck and a supply of sand, stone and coal in the yard.

The building still needs to be weathered and finished but how did these work with the railway??? Should the line go through under the valanced roof section or would it be away from the line???

Cliff is hauling some bags of fertiliser into the security of the office and Maurice is loading up the wagon with a few loads to be delivered this afternoon in and around Exeter

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »
Well it might now be ALL CHANGE at Exham!!!!!

I've always been a fan of the class 47 loco, kid in the 80s and probably most of what I saw on the line was them, always wanted a hornby OO one after seeing it in their 1990 catalogue as a kid hauling the Silcox Express!!!!

Unfortunately I cant even run a green one as their service life is too late and they didn't get anywhere near our location until the 80s!!!

However a chance build of a kit got me thinking about my boxfile layout.............

I have been offered some OTA wagons by a friend, and that got me playing around with ideas of getting a class 47.

Only problem is my knowledge of anything after steam is a hell of a lot less then the little I know of steam.

When did OTA wagons enter service? Are they still in service? How long was their service life?

I'd quite like to date this post 2014 for a couple of reasons but would OTAs still be used AND what livery Class 47 can I get away with running????

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 08:40:22 AM »
Gawd, stop being so fussy and run the bloody thing!  ;) :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:54:28 PM »
Well following the 'encouragement' this morning from George @Bealman  :laugh3:

I have pulled my finger out and cracked on today.

Track is now laid and wired. Just simple Peco setrack but saved me £20 of points fitting anything else!! This has all been cleaned and thoroughly tested and shockingly no dramas.

It will be worked by a new class 08 Gronk. Its technically private sidings so I've yet to decide on whether it will get a livery of the property owners!  :hmmm:

I've spent a fortune today on scenic bits and pieces so that should all start arriving in the next couple of weeks and allow me to crack on.

It will still fit inside 2 box files with a third one to allow wagons to arrive and leave.

As the yard will be busy with front loaders the rails had to be yard height, I could of just brought all the ground up to rail top but as this is meant to be present day and state of the art facilities I felt concrete was the only way to go. This is one piece of 0.8mm plasticard which will sit on a 3mm bed to allow it to sit at the correct height, the 4ft will be filled with the same before an attempt at a concrete pad surface will be painted  :(

I just need to workout which uncouplers I'm going to use and how to fit them!!!,

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 06:07:14 PM »
@exmouthcraig  google OTA wagons
 Photos appear on paul Bartlett,' s site but if you scroll down to ltsv.,com a potted history is there. Existing surplus OCA and VDA wagons were converted in c. 1985 air braked and the OCA by removing wagon sides and replaced with stanchions VDA retained ends only.  Other info such as running numbers are on ltsv.com. hope helps. Chris

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 06:10:16 PM »
Cheers chris!!! I should stop being so fussy or I'll not even have this tiny little layout finished!!!!!

I've yet to see what the OTA look like yet but theyll stay exactly as they are and it will have to have glaring issues if it's wrong.

This is just an excuse to allow me to buy an 08 and a Cl. 47!!!!!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 06:16:54 PM »
The main use was between 1985 to 93 mainly shotton, north wales, mossend to chirk, the west highland line. Some were painted black, blue. Rail freight red you may get away with black painted ones for private industrial use. However that's the time period if realistic

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 04:53:40 PM »
Well the progress hasn't been as great this week as hoped, Mrs EC had heart ablation surgery yesterday so has kind of limited free time to get much done. However this is a bit of a layout not life or death.

She is recovering well so that's a big positive.

Anyway this change to my box file layout came over the weekend and I'm glad that I did as it's quite nice to build something modern and hopefully have something worthwhile to play with. My only thing is it is now changing to 3 box files scenic rather then 2.

A W Jenkinson is a wood based haulier originating in Carlisle, he was good mate with Eddie Stobart and the 2 companies still have cross ties together. Their walking floor trailers are a marvel and, to me a very enjoyable thing to watch unload. Youd never guess weve had them deliver to us before  :-[

Stevens Croft power station in Lockerbie is a state of the art Biomass generator run by E. on (originally Powergen and the original builder) AWJ acquired land adjacent to it and are now the sole provider of blended biomass for the generator. Logs are brought in on a mixture of their own log wagons and independent hauliers, these are all processed on site and blended with a different grade of chip brought in by AWJ from the surrounding area in their own walking floor trailers.

The 2 loads are blended before being conveyed into the generator next door and providing power to some astronomical amount of properties.

Now I've started looking into this I could build this scenic section 100 times bigger and include the power station as well but I want a small layout AND imnot building another real location  :veryangry:

Stevens Croft does not have a rail link but I need that to enable me to share on the forum so it's a simple 3 siding affair with log wagons being brought in by a shunter (livery yet to be decided) these will be unloaded by front loaders with log attachments and stacked accordingly before being moved into the shredder and turned into wood chip.

The shed will be directly behind the artics in the photo and us what I'm currently working on.

The road network around the site cannot be modelled due to space but the AWJ trucks, which are from Oxford. They seem to be getting a bit of criticism at the moment about their lack of N gauge but I must say these wagons are truly phenomenal, the detail is spot on and will form a good part of the diorama side of the layout. Mine are here to do exactly the same job as at Stevens Croft, dumping woodchip for blending but rather then a conveyor to take everything to the generator I will run some modern type hopper wagons to haul the blended chip away to a power station.

So while I'm trying to work, keep horses happy, Mrs EC fed and watered I'll try to get some more done. Hopefully it will look quite realistic when I'm done which needs to be quite quick. Lambing starts in 2weeks  :censored:

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »
I've exceeded my quota relating to images  :hmmm:

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 05:24:41 PM »
We all wish mrs EC a speedy recovery. Sounds like an interesting project

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 05:31:06 PM »
Best wishes to Mrs EC Craig. I do hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.
As for exceeding your image quota. A PM to Tank will sort you out.

Martin
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 05:44:00 PM »
OTAs were introduced in a lot of batches from the mid 80s and there are quite a few versions (depending on what they were converted from!).  One thing to check is how happy they are going over set track points as they are quite a long fixed wheelbase.

Most (if not all) OTAs were stored in the mid-2000s and have largely been replaced by 3 types of bogie timber carriers (all conversions): ex-Rover cube (NGS kit); our forthcoming ex-IWA and some converted from the type of Cargowaggons that Dapol make.  Locos are a variety but largely Colas 70s now.

Cheers Mike
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 05:45:35 PM by red_death »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal