!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Old canal lock  (Read 609 times)

Offline LASteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
Re: Old canal lock
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 09:11:07 PM »
Ste ve. Thanks how thick was the card which you used  ? I've never used WS so cannot comment
 Be interesting to hear others ' experiences

Hi Chris

Scalescenes specify three thicknesses of card - being "light", "medium" and "thick" (plus "print only" which is a sheet of paper thickness.)

For the first two, most people use 80 gsm and 200 gsm respectively, and 1mm mounting card for "thick". In the UK, folk say Ryman's is a good source for the different card stock. You need to avoid going too thin or too thick as it affects the construction of the models; you can find that walls, floors and roofs don't align properly, and in the case of the canal & lock, you can find you're building the canal too shallow.

I've constructed quite a few of their kits now, and you absolutely have to have three things:

1) Bags of patience, especially cutting out window and door openings and window panes
2) A good supply of Exacto blades, the card is tough on them and the cuts need to be as precise as possible. I buy my blades by the 100 from Amazon for about the same price as five would cost me from a craft store.
3) A steel ruler

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 09:41:53 PM »
Thanks steve. That nicely answers Man1160's questions and experiences you  port perran and I can share to help him

Offline Markthetog

• N Gauge Society Number: 28963
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 09:11:30 AM »
I love Scalescenes (I'm halfway through my 15th model!) however you might also want to have a look at DAPR's range. I have their lock (bought prior to discovering Scalescenes) and it's a lovely little kit.
https://www.dapr3d.com/product-range

Offline Man1160

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 11:21:05 PM »
I love Scalescenes (I'm halfway through my 15th model!) however you might also want to have a look at DAPR's range. I have their lock (bought prior to discovering Scalescenes) and it's a lovely little kit.
https://www.dapr3d.com/product-range

Thanks!  That low relief canal lock looks pretty sweet.  It’s hard to tell by their pictures if the lock walls are detailed at all or not.  Are they just flat plastic?  What made you like the Scalescenes option better?

Offline Markthetog

• N Gauge Society Number: 28963
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 06:47:39 AM »
The lock walls are textured and have coping along the top.
If I was buying now I'd use the Scalescenes kit for it's detail but with the DAPR gates and steps. As it is I'm very happy with what I have - I'm certainly going to be buying more DAPR kits, they're very good.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 06:52:03 AM »
Maybe paint top of handles where lock spindle key goes white plus handrails and sides of lock brown, green with thin strips to represent algae

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
I've a canal at the centre of my colliery layout. I've not written much about it, but you can see it in most photographs in that thread.

The canal basin/wharf is slightly higher than my MDF baseboard, with a Wheetabix (or it might have been Alpen) cardboard bottom. The banks are cut into the surrounding landscape - 3-ply corrugated cardboard covered in Yellow-Pages maché. A dozen or so coats of mahogany varnish form the water surface, lightly rubbed down with 400 grade wet&dry paper between coats. The generous final coat was dabbed on in circular actions with a fattish brush to minimise any brushed texture.

The lock before the canal tunnel was a second hand, bashed up Lyddle End model which I built into the hillside. Its walls have been covered in Metcalf stone paper to match the tunnel fascia, a curve of scrap card with a hole cut into it.

Because I had none of the Lyddle End details, fabricating the lock gates was a nice little project in its own right.

Hope there are some usable ideas in here!

Mike
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:40:49 PM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »
Pretty realistic doing it yourself must have saved £. I used roughly the same method

Offline Phaeton

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 02:49:10 PM »
Somebody was selling a canal setup on Fecesbook but as usual with that platform when you want something it's impossible to find or search for.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 02:56:10 PM »
If interested model scenery supplies, knightwing and  scalescenes
 Cheaper and fun to make your own

Offline Phaeton

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 03:01:57 PM »
I've a canal at the centre of my colliery layout. I've not written much about it, but you can see it in most photographs in that thread.

The canal basin/wharf is slightly higher than my MDF baseboard, with a Wheetabix (or it might have been Alpen) cardboard bottom. The banks are cut into the surrounding landscape - 3-ply corrugated cardboard covered in Yellow-Pages maché. A dozen or so coats of mahogany varnish form the water surface, lightly rubbed down with 400 grade wet&dry paper between coats. The generous final coat was dabbed on in circular actions with a fattish brush to minimise any brushed texture.

The lock before the canal tunnel was a second hand, bashed up Lyddle End model which I built into the hillside. Its walls have been covered in Metcalf stone paper to match the tunnel fascia, a curve of scrap card with a hole cut into it.

Because I had none of the Lyddle End details, fabricating the lock gates was a nice little project in its own right.

Hope there are some usable ideas in here!

Mike
That is just simply fantastic.

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 03:18:23 PM »
@Phaeton wrote: "That is just simply fantastic."

Thank you, but it's just patience and persistence.

For me the hobby is about making rather than buying whenever possible. This 4'x2' layout is 8+ years in building, and a long way from completion yet!

Mike

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »
I cut oversized tunnel portals  prepared a brown , green paste represent algae. Weathering. Ì used plasticard gates, walking areas  1mm brasserie cut 4 cm plus long handrails. Did you use that method please mike ?

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 06:22:30 PM »
My gate recipe is in the 'little project' link. The handrails on the catwalks were staples, I think. The bollards are track pins dipped in Evostick, then planted through little squares of Plastikard. I'm very stingy with buying products, which is ironic now I have some to sell!

Mike

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal