!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Broadstone Junction - modern layout of Dorset station closed by you-know-who.  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Thebaz

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Okay so the new station I've added to the route is actually at the settlement of Canford Bottom, east of Wimborne (see on map) and not near to the Lady Wimborne bridge at the entrance to the estate. It is a lovely arch but I'm not gong to be modelling that far up the line.

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
Turnouts are now wired albeit with shorter stubs than I probably wanted and I have now temporarily relaid the junction. Next task which I will set about this weekend will be connecting the wires to terminal blocks and then running them up to my as-yet unbuilt control centre. I have all the switches and wiring required, so I just have to put it together.

So close to live testing! Getting a little bit excited  :bounce:

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
What signals will you be using? If semaphore, then you need two like these at the Up/Wimborne end

https://www.ssplprints.com/image/94203/broadstone-junction-station-dorset-c-1930
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
Funnily enough I was thinking about signal placement just yesterday and start reading up on it. As my layout is modern era it's going to be colour light. But I think at the start the signals will definitely be aesthetic rather than operational. Operational signals seem like another wiring headache ATM, that said once I start reading about the electronics I'll probably get the hang of it.

Good idea to use historic photos for signalling information though - I hadn't thought of that. I will have to see if there are any shots of the the semaphore on the Poole platforms

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Poole platform up end hanging double bracket like the one in the pic, down end of both platforms so far not found any pics, seem to remember they were some distance from the platforms, nearer the road bridge.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
I've attempted a signalling diagram (attached). But I am a bit of a signalling numpty so I'm happy to take corrections! I've put a repeater on Up Poole (plat 2) as the starter/junction signal would potentially be obscured behind platform buildings. That said, I've no idea whether a repeater can even be applied to a feathered junction signal...

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
Wiring step 1: got the stubby mess of wires from the turnouts, polarity switches and power feeds to their first terminals tonight. Took me about 3 hours including creating a mirrored representation of the wiring scheme so I could understand what it should look like when looking down on the underside. If that makes sense?

Step 2 (hopefully tomorrow) will be to run the wires to some Brimal pluggable terminals which I have sourced for the board join   :D

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
Well I've been busy getting the wiring sorted and today I finally made the last connections before I could test everything. Pictures show Brimal pluggable connections in place for wiring across the join, and the final position of the switches (controller missing, but outline drawn in) on the fiddle yard side.

But I'm afraid testing did not go at all well. Turnout switches failed to fire at all - none of them. Couldn't immediately isolate the issue there so I quickly moved on to testing the track circuits... Well they kind-of work.. off Track1 on the controller anyway. Nothing will work off Track2 at all, and that will shortly become the subject of a soon-to-to-be-posted thread addressing the specific issue.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
I hope you manage to make some progress getting the gremlins out of the system.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
I hope you manage to make some progress getting the gremlins out of the system.

Well I managed to mostly solve issue #1 tonight. It took a good 3 hours to figure out but...:

First-off it appears I made to schoolboy error of mistaking the direction I flicked the cab switches for 'On' when I was actually switching them 'Off'! Once I'd got head around that little ordeal I discovered the other major problem: I had managed to cross-wire two of my three circuits. Using the multimeter (correctly, I should add  :D) I quickly discovered which of the feeds needed to be swapped and carried out said exercise.

So now all three circuits work on either cab independently. During the testing process I also discovered a couple of places where I will need to add in extra feeds as I had not taken into account loss of power of the board join, and another where I hadn't realised setting a turnout in a particular way would isolate it. Shouldn't be too much trouble to add the feeds - at least two can be added with pre-soldered fishplates but I might have to get out the iron for the other. We'll see.

Noted that the polarity switches work on all the live turnouts but the double slip (which is what I was fearing). The simple reason being that the short throw of slip does not move the polarity switch far enough. Testing the frogs with the multimeter showed them to remain unpowered no matter which route I set. Strangely this didn't seem to prevent trains from taking the chosen route, although other problems arise when there is a train on one of the other circuits. As soon as the wheels of the train going through the slip hit the second frog it becomes live and transfers power to the train waiting at the junction, sending it backwards. Clearly I will have too do something about this. Option 1 will be to replace the live slip with a dead one and do away with the polarity switches entirely - bit of an expensive option that but at least I should be able to re-sell a fully wired live double slip  ;). Option 2 would be to replace the PL13s with PL15s (as recommended in Peco's own literature but whether this will work in reality, I don't know.)

After last night's frustration I approached tonight's shift with a fair degree of trepidation but I've come out of it feeling relieved and educated!

The next problem to solve will be the non-working turnout motors. Judging by my experience so far I wouldn't be surprised if I've managed to cross some more wires, finding out though is going to be a bit of task!

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
The next problem to solve will be the non-working turnout motors. Judging by my experience so far I wouldn't be surprised if I've managed to cross some more wires, finding out though is going to be a bit of task!

Good luck with the troubleshooting, it's good to see you've made progress already. It does get dispiriting when things are not working according to plan.

I've found that the best way to make progress is to test every connection when it's made; when I solder droppers to track I test the resistance from track to wire end and look for 0 ohms, then when I lay the piece of track and connect it to the bus I test again for voltage (16v AC in my DCC case) before moving on.

In spite of the best planning, diagramming, documenting and labeling, I still found that when I finished the first mini-board of my new layout that I'd managed to wire the whole thing back-to-front due to the board being upside-down when I wired it and I forgot that I can't think in 3D!

At least I just had to switch the power distribution board feeds from red/black to black/red and write in large Sharpie on the underside "WIRED BACKWARDS".

I think I should label my brain the same way.

Onwards!

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
I partially got to grips with the non-functioning turnouts the other night. After much continuity tracing I established that despite the tangled look of my wiring it is actually in fine fettle - no power leaks anywhere that I could find  :D.

So what could actually be the problem? - couldn't be crossed wires again as I treble checked that they are all connected to the right places. Eventually I resolved with some reluctance to deconstruct my switch console, remove the CDU from the loop and work through it one switch at a time. Incredibly there was still no movement. And then I found the source of the problem: during my checks I had disconnected the common return from the terminal block connection which precedes the run to the controller and I had failed to put it back :facepalm: After putting it back I operated the switch and by golly! A loud buzz (which first-of-all took me by surprise) and turnout blades moved!

This was not the*actual* problem of why the turnouts were not operating though, it was just an additional one I'd introduced to make my own life harder. The *actual* problem I suspect may be down to incorrect wiring of the CDU. I lost the original gaugemaster instructions and ended up following some image I found on the internet. Subsequently I've discovered where to download the original instructions from and it does look like I'd wired it wrongly. So tonight (yes I know it's Valentine's - the missus and myself don't bother with that these days ;D) I will be wiring the CDU back into the loop. If it doesn't work then, I will know that it is the CDU at fault and not my novice electronics.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal