!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Broadstone Junction - modern layout of Dorset station closed by you-know-who.  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Thebaz

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards

10) third-rail modelling

When you get around to the third-rail, I've been playing around with different approaches to this both on my previous layout and on my test layout prior to laying the track on the new one. Basically there are two methods, both of which use Code 40 rail (I got mine pre-weathered, it's the same price).

The first method (also discussed in the NGS "BR Blue" special) is to use pieces of IRJ for the chairs holding the rail. Basically, you snip the IRJ either side of the insulating middle, giving you two chairs per IRJ. You glue these to the sleepers (one every six or seven depending on your patience), give them a dab of dirty white paint and when you're ready thread the Code 40 rail through them. I used that method on my first layout and it looked OK.

The second method (I saw an example of this on an exhibition layout at TINGS last year) is to use track pins for the chairs and solder the Code 40 rail on top of them. My soldering skills are definitely not up to that kind of fine work, so I experimented and came up with what I thought was a good variant, which is using Superglue rather than solder. I drill holes in the sleepers (every seventh one) with a pin vice, push the track pins through and snip them off underneath. Again some dirty white paint to set things up, then I rough up the tops of the pins and the bottom of the Code 40 rail and glue the rail in place. You do need to be patient when you're working on curved track but I think the effect is better than the IRJs.

I do need to look at some prototypes of the rail on pointwork, I've got a couple of slightly complex junctions in my sidings, but that's the basis of it.

Hey Steve, thanks for the tips - they will come in very handy indeed - I'm quite keen on third rail DC so I want it to look really good. What's the best "dirty white" paint for the job?

Offline rob_au

• Awards
Once the fiddleyard side was complete came the tricky bit of getting the track across the baseboard joins correct. My method was to lay all the track on scene side, ensuring positional accuracy, glue the crossing pieces down with strong PVA and trim them at the threshold the following morning. On first attempt only some of it had gone well ie the straight bits. What didnít go well was where I had to xuron through a tight flexi-track radius, the issue of course being that even though it had been glued the rails started to spring back.

While it sounds like you have solved this challenge, if you need to do the same again, you might want to consider the approach described on this page - https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/baseboard-joints/. This approach sees the use of a filed-down screw on the edge of the baseboard as a solder point for the rail so that correct rail position can be maintained.
Layouts under Construction

Online weave

• Awards
Hi Thebaz,

Can't really contribute except to say really looking forward to your build as lived in those parts in the '80s and '90s and still go back to visit.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards

Hey Steve, thanks for the tips - they will come in very handy indeed - I'm quite keen on third rail DC so I want it to look really good. What's the best "dirty white" paint for the job?

I like to use acrylics rather than enamels, for no good reason other than the clean-up is easier! I painted the track pin heads with white acrylic before I pushed them down into the sleepers and snipped off the excess, then just dabbed some thinned gray or black until they looked a little battle-worn. Most of the insulators I remember seeing were so dirty it was hard to tell that they were white ceramic underneath.

I forgot to mention that the big plus for using Code 40 rail is that, although not prototypical, is that it doesn't project much above the rail heads of the running rails which makes for much easier track cleaning.

I'll dig out some pictures of my test track when I can find them and send them along.

Really looking forward to seeing your progress!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
I  have seen  a layout using code  60 rail and peco IL-120 conductor rail chairs every 5th or 7th sleeper
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:33:53 AM by crewearpley40 »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
Peco  individulay PL1 code 60 flatbottomed rail silver nickle

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Bit chunky for N gauge that, Iíd echo Steve and use Code 40. He talks about weathered being the same price, I assume thatís Micro Engineering - NGTrains, who are one of very few UK sources donít do the weathered rail. They do do code 40 unweathered though, or Finetrax do FB and BH code 40.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 12:04:08 PM by njee20 »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
Ok was just a thought as i have only thought of using 60 ad the 3rd rail only dummy

Offline Thebaz

• Awards

I like to use acrylics rather than enamels, for no good reason other than the clean-up is easier! I painted the track pin heads with white acrylic before I pushed them down into the sleepers and snipped off the excess, then just dabbed some thinned gray or black until they looked a little battle-worn. Most of the insulators I remember seeing were so dirty it was hard to tell that they were white ceramic underneath.

I forgot to mention that the big plus for using Code 40 rail is that, although not prototypical, is that it doesn't project much above the rail heads of the running rails which makes for much easier track cleaning.

I'll dig out some pictures of my test track when I can find them and send them along.

Really looking forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks. It would be great to see some pics when you get a chance, so I can see how it works out.

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
Those are mighty fine units running there. :)
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Baz, which services will you contemplate running, from about the 1890s to closure passenger services were S&D between Bath, Templecombe and Bournemouth West, these ranged from 3 coach stoppers to to 10 - 12 coach trains fron the Midlands and North; Salisbury to Bournemouth West usually 3 or 4 coaches:push/pull Bournemouth W to Brockenhurst; some Waterloo - Weymouth in summer to avoid Bournemouth; less frequent, morning and early evening Southampton to Wimborne via Bournemouth; occasional Swanage and/or Dorchester - Wimborne; summer Saturdays New Milton or Bournemouth to Cardiff & Swansea.

Quite a bit of overnight freight from Dorchester to Eastleigh and London avoiding Bournemouth, local freight, plus an early morning mail and newspapers from Waterloo, via Salisbury and Wimborne to Dorchester.

I would envisage present day having 3rd rail from Brockenhurst via Ringwood to Poole and Hamworthy; 3 car DMUs from Salisbury and probably also S&D plus cross country DMUs from Midlands and North . That should give you a fair range of stock
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
It would appear I've learned to solder  :D. Right, with that in hand I hope to get all the remaining track (which is basically all turnouts) laid this weekend, then I can start connecting the longer wire runs under board. Happy progress.

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
Finally wired up the double slip, which I'd been putting off for ages as it was going to involve soldering to the underside of the rails. I'm pleased to report I managed the soldering without sending the sleepers too far into meltsville, which has now given me the confidence to do further micro soldering - I have another three turnouts to do in this way after all. The only thing I'm concerned about now is whether the throw of the points will effectively operate the PL13 polarity switch but I won't be able to test that out until I've finished the rest of the wiring. Onwards.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:28:09 AM by Thebaz, Reason: duplicate picture »

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
Baz, which services will you contemplate running, from about the 1890s to closure passenger services were S&D between Bath, Templecombe and Bournemouth West, these ranged from 3 coach stoppers to to 10 - 12 coach trains fron the Midlands and North; Salisbury to Bournemouth West usually 3 or 4 coaches:push/pull Bournemouth W to Brockenhurst; some Waterloo - Weymouth in summer to avoid Bournemouth; less frequent, morning and early evening Southampton to Wimborne via Bournemouth; occasional Swanage and/or Dorchester - Wimborne; summer Saturdays New Milton or Bournemouth to Cardiff & Swansea.

Quite a bit of overnight freight from Dorchester to Eastleigh and London avoiding Bournemouth, local freight, plus an early morning mail and newspapers from Waterloo, via Salisbury and Wimborne to Dorchester.

I would envisage present day having 3rd rail from Brockenhurst via Ringwood to Poole and Hamworthy; 3 car DMUs from Salisbury and probably also S&D plus cross country DMUs from Midlands and North . That should give you a fair range of stock

Mike the basic "clockface timetable" is along the following lines:

GWR DMUs
Bournemouth-Highbridge stopper. Bi-hourly. Bournemouth, Poole, Broadstone, Bailey Gate, Blandford, Shillingstone, Sturminster Marshall, Stalbridge, Henstridge, Templecombe Exchange, Wincanton, Cole, Evercreech Jcn, Glastonbury, Highbridge.
Bournemouth-Bristol Temple Meads/Cardiff services - hourly alternating semi and fast.
Bournemouth, Poole, Broadstone, Blandford, Sturminster Marshall, Stalbridge,Templecombe Exchange, Wincanton, Cole, Evercreech Jcn, Evercreech New, Shepton Mallet, Chilcompton, Midsomer Norton, Radstock, Wellow/Midford, Bath Spa, Bristol TM.
Bournemouth, Poole, Broadstone, Blandford, Sturminster Marshall, Templecombe Exchange, Wincanton, Evercreech Jcn, Evercreech New, Shepton Mallet, Midsomer Norton, Radstock, Bath Spa, Bristol TM, Newport, Cardiff.
SWT DMUs
Weymouth-Salisbury bi-hourly  Weymouth, Dorchester South, Wool, Wareham, Hamworthy, Broadstone, Wimborne, West Moors, Fordingbridge, Salisbury
CROSS-COUNTRY VOYAGER
Pines Express bi-hourly (occasional additional stops).  Bournemouth, Poole, Blandford, (Templecombe Exchange), (Wincanton), Shepton Mallet, (Midsomer Norton), Bath, Bristol Temple Meads, Cheltenham Spa etc.
SWT EMUs
Bournemouth/Poole to Brockenhurst - half-hourly (every 15 mins during peaks; new stns in italics) alternating all stations.  Bournemouth, Branksome, Parkstone, Poole, Creekmoor, Broadstone, Wimborne, Canford, Ferndown Parkway, West Moors, Ashley Heath, Ringwood, Holmsley New Forest, Brockenhurst
Swanage-Wimborne hourly shuttle (heritage EMU)  Swanage, Corfe Castle, Wareham, Holton Heath, Hamworthy, Upton, Broadstone, Wimborne.
London Waterloo - Wimborne hourly  extension of current service which terminates at Poole

You've given me a few ideas there to expand on there: the Cardiffs could be extended to Swansea; Weymouth/Salisbury could be extended to Swindon or even further perhaps to Bedford via Oxford and EW Rail; Options for summer specials avoiding Bournemouth, railtours and a few ideas for freight routes - may even assume the dairy at Bailey Gate to be still in existence. It's going to be a busy junction alright!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:49:50 AM by Thebaz »

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Broadstone, Wimborne, Canford,

Broadstone, Canford, Wimborne,

Minor point, Canford is between Broadstone and Wimborne

depending on how far towards Wimborne you model you may need this 1847 bridge across the entrance to Canford Estate/School

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal