!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fleischamann tender driven 0 - 6 - 0  (Read 121 times)

Offline Big Pete

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fleischamann tender driven 0 - 6 - 0
« on: January 05, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »
I have bought a second hand Fleischmann tender driven n gauge  0 - 6 - 0 . Engine  No 537352  It has excellent traction , the engine runs well and the driving wheels turn smoothly.  The problem is that they turn too slowly for the speed the engine is travelling at.  Would that show the gears are wrong or is there some other way the drive units or transmission units are obstructed.  Does anyone know how I fix it

all good wishes

Peter

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
Re: Fleischamann tender driven 0 - 6 - 0
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 05:43:06 PM »
If I'm reading your post correctly the driven wheels are the tender wheels whilst the loco wheels are free rolling. If that is the case I doubt they will have gearing and it is probably just dirt preventing them from turning properly and they are actually sliding along although slowly turning.
When I first read it it sounded like the loco was moving faster than the wheels were turning defying various laws of physics ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 05:44:26 PM by thebrighton »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Fleischamann tender driven 0 - 6 - 0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 05:49:10 PM »
Sometimes happens with tender drive locos, especially as they get older and more play-worn. 

Check the connecting rods etc. are not bent or fouling on anything. Make sure you clean out all fluff etc. from the loco wheels and pickups, and *very sparingly* lubricate the axles and the connecting rod pins etc.  Don't get any lube on the wheel treads! Then gently rub the wheels back and forth to disperse the lube and try running the loco again.  Also check that the tender to loco drawbar isn't at all bent and lifting the loco wheels off the rails.

I have a couple of really old Fleischmann and Rivarossi models from the 1970s which are now tricky to get running perfectly as they're so worn out, they're pretty much consigned to the shelf now.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 05:58:05 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal