!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lego  (Read 611 times)

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14125
    • AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
    • Awards
Lego
« on: January 02, 2020, 08:20:54 PM »
Thought I'd start this thread all about Lego due to another conversation elsewhere on the NGF.

So, who else is an AFOL (Adult Fan of Lego)?

I don't tend to build that many Lego sets, although there are usually a few each year that I will buy and build as per the instructions. I build a few things of my own design every so often though, known as a MOC in the Lego fandom; meaning My Own Creation. Got loads of ideas, but never the time or the right parts though.

My Flickr has some photos of some of my Lego models, as well as normal model railway stuff in N gauge and OO if anyone wants to have a look: https://www.flickr.com/photos/52152579@N03/

A few highlights are shown below:

The first two are freelance narrow gauge trains with the Lego built around OO gauge chassis'. I built these for a joke at the model railway club and ran them round the test track.

I'm mostly trying to build a fleet of trams. These two are built as near to O gauge scale as I could with the parts available and to the best of my ability. Both photos compare the model to the real thing for those that aren't familiar with Blackpool trams. So far none of them are motorised, just built for statioc display.

And the final photo for now shows a display I had at the Bristol Brick Show in November 2019. The wind turbine is an actual Lego set and everything else on that table I'd built myself. There should be closer photos of everything I built in that photo on my Flickr stream if anyone is interested.

My NGF Layout Thread: Stanley Yard; a Model Railway in a Toolbox
My NGF Workbench Thread: AC's Occasional Modelling Thread

My Modelling Blog (Multiple Scales): AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
My Old Website: AC's Stuff

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Lego
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
2019 brought a gift from the Bealettes of a Lego Saturn V, which I built as per instructions. Enjoyable, while taxing at times!

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »
I've been given various Technic models at past Christmases, the Bucket Loader being the biggest and most difficult so far. I'll post some pictures at some point.

I try not to get too enthused these days as when my son was around 7 years old, I had to go 'cold turkey', as he somehow thought that it was OK to dismantle models that I had spent hours putting together :censored: :censored: :D
My better half decided that my mild OCD, fixing everything within 10 minutes of discovering it was broken, was becoming severe and debilitating.

We still have everything we bought back then, but need our grandchildren to get a bit older so that we can start putting things back together.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline grid078

• N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:25:01 PM »
Christmas present from the better half is the Ford mustang, about one third built so far. A massive Lego can too. It's now starting too take over the house, I restarted with just collecting trucks that I liked but is now far bigger than that, builds include tower bridge and big ben, Ferrari f40. The better half has also started collecting too Disney castle, Harry Potter castle the list goes on and on. Thoroughly enjoyable too a life-long fan that runs alongside my N gauge railways interest too.

Regards Stuart

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 10:51:23 PM »
I used to live not far from Legoland Windsor, and wow what an awesome place it was  :D

I am at the moment looking at a lot of the Lego Technics stuff, as I want to have a Magnorail type system on my new year layout.

I bought a Magnorail set, but it will not fit in the space I have, so am looking to duplicate it in Lego Technics

I will keep you posted  :D :thumbsup: :D

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 10:55:38 PM »
I visited Legoland Windsor on one of my Bealman adventures, and - sorry, Kevin - thought it was somewhat tacky  :-\

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=8364
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:03:40 PM by Bealman »

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 11:48:02 PM »
 :hellosign:

Hi again

I just realised it was you who has the layout in a tool-box ......a fabulous idea, how is it getting on, i really enjoyed following your progress as my Windmill Hill layout is similarly small.  :D

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

PS. Love ya George .... Legoland is undoutably tacky as is every Theme Park I know, and it's fab  :claphappy:

I've done two holidays in Las Vagas ....... couldn't believe it first time  :goggleeyes:, so had to go back for more

Hope all is well with you, and the terrible things in your country aren't affecting you too much

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 12:00:20 AM »
Thanks, Kevin.  :beers:

Strangely enough, Blackpool is a favourite destination of mine!  :-[

The fire situation here is bad. While we haven't been directly impacted by it yet, my brother in law who owns a property down the coast has been evacuated.

Tomorrow is another heatwave apparently, and everything is so dry, where we live is certainly not immune.

Back to the Lego.... that Saturn V was billed as 1969 pieces.... presumably to celebrate the 1969 landing.

Well, the very last bit of mine was missing! So I only had 1968 pieces! Luckily it was just a piece off the stand to support it horizontally. The rocket itself is complete.

Offline TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 07:25:11 AM »
It's always the last piece that's missing, a bit like doing jigsaws :D
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »
@AC
I've just had a whistle-stop tour of your link. I just want to say I'm totally impressed. Those trams are just terrific.
I'm not a legoist but have in my time thoroughly enjoyed building out of lego but never found the time to take it up as a hobby. Perhaps when I'm retired?
Thanks for sharing, again totally impressed.
Cheers
Northallerton will make its next public appearance sometime after LOCKDOWN

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 10:02:06 AM »
Back to the Lego.... that Saturn V was billed as 1969 pieces.... presumably to celebrate the 1969 landing.

Well, the very last bit of mine was missing! So I only had 1968 pieces! Luckily it was just a piece off the stand to support it horizontally. The rocket itself is complete.

Hi

I've always found Lego very good regarding missing pieces and they have been sent FOC when I've contacted them.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 10:13:23 AM »
Thanks, mate, but it's not really an issue with me.

I want my rocket standing up, not lying down!  :thumbsup:

Offline AC

• N Gauge Society Number: 14125
    • AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 06:02:02 PM »
I just realised it was you who has the layout in a tool-box ......a fabulous idea, how is it getting on, i really enjoyed following your progress as my Windmill Hill layout is similarly small.  :D

Thanks, there's not been any progress since the last update in my thread about it, I don't think. Now that Christmas and New Year are out the way, I need to get on with doing some more work to it though. I might be taking it along to a local show a bit later this year.

@AC
I've just had a whistle-stop tour of your link. I just want to say I'm totally impressed. Those trams are just terrific.
I'm not a legoist but have in my time thoroughly enjoyed building out of lego but never found the time to take it up as a hobby. Perhaps when I'm retired?
Thanks for sharing, again totally impressed.
Cheers

Thanks. It took a while to work out how to get the shaping on the ends of the Blackpool Brush car to look close enough to the real thing. This version represents 1990s condition after various modifications over the years, and at some point I intend doing an original condition version. Think I'm going to go for a larger scale for that one though in the hope that the larger size will make it a bit easier.

Thanks for all the comments and contribututions from everyone. I wasn't actually expecting this many responses within a single day of starting the topic.
My NGF Layout Thread: Stanley Yard; a Model Railway in a Toolbox
My NGF Workbench Thread: AC's Occasional Modelling Thread

My Modelling Blog (Multiple Scales): AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
My Old Website: AC's Stuff

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 07:50:57 PM »
I wasn't actually expecting this many responses within a single day of starting the topic.

There was nothing decent on the television.  ;D ;)

Your trams do look good though.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »
Those trams are amazing.
Great work.
While on the subject of lego, can anyone else remember the Lego Blueprints of about 1962 ?

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal