!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My other hobby is aeroplanes  (Read 418 times)

Offline Garyf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Re: My other hobby is aeroplanes
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 08:06:28 AM »
Youíre right about the C42, not the most ergonomic aircraft to fly I did adapt to it after a couple of hours. I did have a few flights from Tibbenham in their K21 recently with a view to returning to gliding but donít think I want to go down the BGA style of training again. I did hand swing the super cub at Dunstable once, Iíd turned up to fly and unusually there was no one but me and the tuggie around and the cub had a flat battery. The tug pilot helped me get the K23 out, I swung the cub, had a nice flight on a winterís afternoon.

Gary

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 08:51:28 AM »
Had my time with aircraft, was in the ATC from the age of 13 to 16. Later in in the eighties worked at Abridge especially on lycoming's

Loved the Beech Duchess 76 great joy to work on and fly. Only job I didn't like was if you drew the short straw you weren't the one sitting in the cockpit synchronising the tacho. Having your arm over the cowling adjusting screw through the access cover with a feathered prop spinning at 2000 rpm was a little daunting!

That does not sound fun; same as hand swinging a prop - not doing that either. ďItís okay if done properlyĒ - Iím sure it is, you go ahead.

Bang on there, I forgot to mention you had to straddle under the s/board wing next to the fuselage, then slowly stand up with your back rubbing against the leading edge, then slide your arm over the cowling for the access hole!

Another risky job in the hanger was compression & cylinder leak test's, this was done whilst someone holding the prop at DBC and compressed air was slowly released into the cylinder, not good if someone got their firing order out of synch! :worried:

Offline 37214

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 07:43:56 PM »
Had my time with aircraft, was in the ATC from the age of 13 to 16. Later in in the eighties worked at Abridge especially on lycoming's

Loved the Beech Duchess 76 great joy to work on and fly. Only job I didn't like was if you drew the short straw you weren't the one sitting in the cockpit synchronising the tacho. Having your arm over the cowling adjusting screw through the access cover with a feathered prop spinning at 2000 rpm was a little daunting!

That does not sound fun; same as hand swinging a prop - not doing that either. ďItís okay if done properlyĒ - Iím sure it is, you go ahead.

Bang on there, I forgot to mention you had to straddle under the s/board wing next to the fuselage, then slowly stand up with your back rubbing against the leading edge, then slide your arm over the cowling for the access hole!

Another risky job in the hanger was compression & cylinder leak test's, this was done whilst someone holding the prop at DBC and compressed air was slowly released into the cylinder, not good if someone got their firing order out of synch! :worried:

No, no and nope from me.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal