!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hi Fi  (Read 833 times)

Offline joe cassidy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hi Fi
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 08:00:33 AM »
I had a look on the website of a local (Hi-fi) box shifter and those NAIN/NAIT amps are going for nearly 3000 euros - a bit pricy for me.

Online Garyf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »
My HiFi dates from 1980s spent around 3 months salary on the setup from Rotel/Marantz/Akai, these days it rarely gets used as I have a few Sonos speakers around the house, most of my music has been transferred to a NAS drive or purchased as a download. I was really happy with my system when I bought it, these days it sounds a little woolly but I expect that's down to deteriorating hearing. I find I don't tend to sit down and just listen to music anymore, I'll shuffle a playlist and listen whilst doing other things, as I am doing now with the occasional sit back eyes closed and listen to particular favourites.

Gary

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
a Velleman K4000 valve amp

I've 2 of the mono  version,8011's, sitting in the cupboard gathering dust,there a great sounding amp,also in the cupboard is my homebrew pre preamp and phono stage,a  rega p3 , nad 520 cd player and a sony minidisc player. My little (4ft x18"x12") homebrew speakers are in the hall.One day i'll get around to re arranging the flat so i can get everything set up again.
edit to add,forgot about the pair of 10" tannoy dual concentric drivers sitting on the side awaiting a use,theyve been there sevral years :-[
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:27:25 PM by themadhippy »

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 11:23:45 AM »
I went to the Paris Hifi show yesterday.

For speakers, I'm torn between the Monitor Audio Silver 200 and the Bowers & Wilkins 603 speakers.

Any opinions on these most welcome.

I noticed that 2 of the main French Hifi box-shifters have gone bust during the past few years. It seems that like model railways is Hifi is also affected by people preferring a "digital experience".

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:49:00 AM by joe cassidy, Reason: spelling »

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »
I note that the monitor audio speakers win out for the "woman friendly factor" (as explained to me by the monitor audio lady at the Paris show) as they are available in 6 colours where as the b & w speakers are only available in black, white, and wood finish.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 11:53:39 AM »
I bought the Monitor Audio Silver 200 speakers.

Now I'm looking to buy a new amp.

I'm tempted by the Rega Brio 3 due to its small size.

Does anyone have one of these and if so can you confirm that it's as good as it it's cracked up to be ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »
I've got a Brio 3 R, along with a Rega Planet, LP3, and B&W bookcase speakers.

The Brio 3 R is a very good amp and I get great sound. The added bonus is it comes with a remote.

Regrds,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
Thanks John.

That's my Christmas present from me to me sorted  :)

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2019, 07:12:19 PM »
I'm not very sound sophisticated, so a pair of small Bose speakers do the job for me. My digital sources are Walkman and cellphone. My Christmas gift from me to me was my first noise-canceling Bluetooth headset. I do enjoy music, but my wife doesn't, so I've had no incentive to improve my sound system. There was a need for something to improve in-flight entertainment, though.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2019, 10:41:48 PM »
In 1981 when we moved into Chez Bealman, I bought a Sony component system. We had no floor coverings, curtains, and very little furniture, but we had an awesome sound system!!

It had a quality turntable, amp, cassette unit, graphic equaliser and tuner - all separate units.

Somewhere around the early nineties, I made what I now realise was one of the biggest mistakes of my life and parted company with it. To this day I cannot understand why I did that. Bloody massive brain fart is the only way I can adequately describe it.

Nothing I've had since has ever matched the sound quality of that system.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2019, 10:55:56 PM »
Hey @Bealman I did the same thing, I had a full marantz system, forgot what speakers but I got rid because it did not have a cd input, one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2019, 11:23:27 PM »
I have complete sympathy.

I still have the speakers sitting under the Beal and Castle Eden railway in the garage, but they're in a bad way too.

Sad thing is I don't know what happened to my system. I gave it to one of my daughters, and she can't remember what she did with it!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
Mine is old simple and provides an awesome sound, I have often tried much higher rated gear but my simple old stuff wins every time to my ears.

It's an old Thornens TD160 mk1 turntable with a Denon MC cartridge, a Pioneer A70 Amp, a Pioneer CD Player and the only new item as said above the Monitor Audio Bronze Floor Standing speakers.

The only nod to the 21st century is a HP wireless dongle attached to one of the AMPS Aux inputs to allow streaming of digital files on my PC.

I do use good quality cables but never fell for the stupid high price interconnect con, just used a good quality cable and connectors, high silver content solder and built them myself.

NGM

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal