!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Southern Germany Christmas Interrailing  (Read 366 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Southern Germany Christmas Interrailing
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 09:46:40 PM »
I have thought about adding graffiti and weathering to some of my stock but I just can't pluck up the courage.  :no:

Very hard to do with stock you actually like and treasure! Don't think I could unless I specifically bought the item as 'sacrificial'.

Online Doltic

• Crazy about Deltics
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 09:19:31 AM »
I was keeping my eyes well open whilst on this recent trip! I would make the following observations about German railways (which are in no particular order) :

- Disused sidings/ lengths of track everywhere! Track layouts must be being remodelled all the time. I've never seen so much overgrown track.

- People I spoke to in Germany complained about Deutsche Bahn (mainly about constant delays). From my experience however Deutsche Bahn is absolutely excellent and I never had delays of more than a couple of minutes.

- Although I travelled on lots of ICEs, I did notice that very little of my journeys (admittedly I was only in Southern and South Western Germany) took place at no higher speed than you would expect from a good old BR HST. The only truly high speed stretch of line I travelled on was between Mannheim and Stuttgart (which I believe I travelled in both directions). Even then, I don't think we exactly went hypersonic and I did not feel like Dave going to light speed in 2001 A Space Odyssey.

I live in germany atm, and I can support those three points

I've had a friend over and we literally spent half a week ambling around on old, disused railway lines. there are lots. Germany's highest brick viaduct (the hoxeler viaduct) is also a disused railway. Tracks and everything still in place.

The complaining is something that's just very german. Germans constantly complain, I've learned this in recent years. They love doing it. It's their favourite pastime and complaining about DB is something everyone can relate to.

This is a bit of a political thing - ICEs have no seperate track and therefor are often slowed down by 'normal traffic' which kinda moots the point. There are a few seperate sections but most are just the same as normal track.

However, looks like you had a lot of fun, very nice!
Who needs steam

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 08:09:46 AM »

I live in germany atm, and I can support those three points

I've had a friend over and we literally spent half a week ambling around on old, disused railway lines. there are lots. Germany's highest brick viaduct (the hoxeler viaduct) is also a disused railway. Tracks and everything still in place.

Thank you, interesting to hear what you've found when being a resident!

Cheers
Matt

Online Doltic

• Crazy about Deltics
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 04:44:31 PM »

Thank you, interesting to hear what you've found when being a resident!

Cheers
Matt

I have dug up some photos quick, in no particular order

Last one, different railway

Who needs steam

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 08:07:04 PM »

I have dug up some photos quick, in no particular order

Those are really cool! I'll also have to go exploring abandoned German railways sometime soon!

Matt

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
January Donations

Advertise Here