!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modern Freightliner Rakes and General goings on in Basford Hall (Crewe)  (Read 3064 times)

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
Hi All,

So as a good few of you know I started for Freightliner in November as a Fitter in Crewe and one of the joys of the job for modelling at least is seeing the complete variety of freight traffic that passes through Crewe Basford Hall where I work.
With this in mind and the numerous of Intermodal wagons that are now available (such as the Revolution KFA, C-Rail KQA) and the upcoming (Revoluiton Ecofrets (FWA) and C-Rail FSA - FTA), I thought I would start to list some of the formations that have passed thorugh Basford Hall to give an idea what a modern Intermodal train consists of (At least from Freightliner).
Sadly no snazzy graphics though just me and a key board!  :D
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS TOPS BASED SO TWINED OR TRIPLE WAGONS SHOW AS INDIVIDUAL (I.E FSA / FSA IS A SINGLE TWIN)
40 / 30 /20 length of container or empty space
HC - High Cube / LC Low Cube / DG - Tanktainer
Example - 40HC is a 40ft high cube

13/12/19:

4M53 / Felixstowe - Ipswich - Trafford Park
Traction: 66413 (Felixstowe - Ipswich) 86607 / 86637 (Ipswich - Trafford Park)
Formation:
FSA / FSA:                    40HC - 20 Empty / 20LC - 40LC
KQA :                            Empty
FEA / FEA:                     20LC - 40HC / 20LC - 40LC
FSA / FSA:                    40HC - 20LC / 20DG - 40HC
FEA / FEA / FEA:            40LC - 20 Empty / 20LC - 40HC / 40LC - 20LC
FSA / FSA:                    40HC - 20LC / 20LC - 40HC
KQA:                            40HC
KFA:                             20LC - 40HC
KFA:                             40HC - 20LC
FEA / FEA:                    40HC - 20LC / 20LC - 40HC
FWA / FWA:                  40HC / 40LC
FSA / FSA:                    40HC - 20LC / 20LC - 40HC
FSA / FTA / FTA / FSA:   40HC - 20LC / 20LC - 40LC / 20HC - 40LC / 20LC - 40HC
FEA / FEA:                    40HC - 20 Empty / 20LC - 40HC

This is just one train to start with but as and when I get more I will happily post it up to give an idea of what variety these services have, so all you good folk can run them as you wish!

Oh and before I forget the shortest working of a KFA - The Basford Hall (VMF) to Basford Hall (Fuelling Point) shunt move which is a single Blue (Touax) KFA (Loaded: 20 Empty - 20LC - 20 Empty) for us to move store between the depot and the fuelling point. All in a move of 3/4 of a mile from start to finish!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:09:41 PM by acko22 »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Modern Freightliner Intermodal Rakes
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 02:30:26 PM »
Thanks gareth. Looks like your project will be popular.and invaluable

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 09:54:37 PM »
Very helpful! Interesting the KQAs (arenít they KTAs these days) are in the middle, they usually seem to be either at the front or the back. Was never sure if there was a reason for that, evidently not.

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 11:56:14 PM »
@njee20 you are indeed correct the KQA is now the KTA, but a bit of authors discression since C-Rail markets them as the KQA and its the same thing I thought it would prevent some confussion.
As for them been at the ends of rakes if it was a generally empty rake I would suggest you are right as when compared to KFAs or a half of a FSA twin the KQA (KTA) is rather more weighty and provides better brake effort at rail, but in the case of the service above it makes little difference where they are placed.

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »
Hi everyone,
      So round 2 of this and well I have a triple pack coming this way the 4M85 Felixstowe - Ispwich - Garston service over the nights of the 7th/8th/9th so you can see against each other what they look like.
An however note as the intermodal side shut down over the Christmas Period there the post Christmas surge to most of the northbound services are pretty full!!

IN t'other news as some may have already heard 86607 decided to have a small fire while running on the 4L75 (Crewe - Felixstowe) near Daventry there is no news yet if 607 will live to run another day as it has to be recovered back to Crewe for a full inspection. However given how busy it is if it can be resurrected we shall do so even if it means climbing into small spaces to wire things back up....again!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 07:10:24 PM »
Gareth thanks for sharing an accurate information guess was computer generated work blurb  ? Gives modellers formation information

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 09:03:26 PM »
guess was computer generated work blurb  ?

It's from the train notes that are handed to the driver which are printed from TOPS, the print outs they get also contain route information (speed restrictions / clearance and routing warnings), expected timings, train details (Weight/Length/gauging/ as well as the formation as above and any hazardous cargo). But for the purposes of this that info isn't really relevant.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 09:12:41 PM »
Really interesting to see. Confirms I absolutely need some FWAs and FSA/FTAs.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 09:23:38 PM »
As nick says useful information thanks to construct the best typical rake

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 10:17:08 PM »
Really interesting to see. Confirms I absolutely need some FWAs and FSA/FTAs.

Well the FWAs are a definite for me at least there is one service Freightliner run that is FWA heavy with a few KFAs to complete the rake (IIRC Southampton - Trafford Park). If the trend continues I can see more FWAs been ordered across the board not just Freightliner as older wagons reach the end of their service life as you get more deck space inside the train length.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 11:54:41 PM »
Thanks.

These are really useful. No matter how much research you do online, people only ever seem to take pictures of the locos.

And with intermodals you can't see 50% of the wagons, and in any case they are usually so filthy that reading the TOPS codes is a no starter.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 08:12:03 AM »
Hi all,

Well the next selection

So the 4M11 Coatsbridge to Basford Hall service in both directions runs with a pair of class 90s as the weight of this service can be in excess of the haulage limit of both a single 90 and a pair of 86s, added into the fact of keeping line speed over the northern sections of the WCML the need for a pair is there!
This train does have an extended stay over in Crewe where if needed the train is split and reformed for travel south allowing wagons with different final destinations to get put on to an appropriate rake.

The 4S88 and 4M42 are both on the first leg of their northbound services to Liverpool and Coatsbridge respectively hence why it's 66 haulage. Sadly I don't have the info on what the haulage was north of Ipswich but it for the 4S88 I suspect a pair of 86s and the 4M42 a pair of 90s, which is the general pattern.

The 438B Southampton to Trafford Park ran publicly under a obfuscated headcode as requested by my employers so I am not going to divulge that as I like my job! I am not sure if it ran with a class 70 the whole service as this service does have a stop over in Basford hall and on occasion does swap over motive power time permitting.
This service has been running as a complete rake of FWA wagons and not a mixed rake which is of note as to why exactly I cannot say for certain.
However this one really stood out with the single FRA in the rake, this wagon had been to Southampton Maritime Maintenance Depot for maintenance on its wheel sets normally these wagons are not seen on Intermodal flows but the Binliner services so it was hitching a lift back to Trafford Park where it would be collected to rejoin a Binliner rake.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 10:30:33 AM »
Traction between Ipswich and Wembley onto crewe, would likely to be a class 86 x 2. Thanks for the info gareth
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:31:21 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 11:30:18 AM »
Traction between Ipswich nd Wembley would likely to be a cla as 86 x 2.

We generally don't change traction at Wembley on intermodal services, between Ipswich and Crewe they will remain the same unless there is a diversion on to take the train off an electrified route.
The only service that passes through Wembley yard itself and uses non electrified routes immediately before or after is one of the Southampton - Garston Services but we always use diesel traction as far as Crewe although normally it remains diesel throughout thought.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 11:40:10 AM »
How things have changed ! Over the yard
 Thanks that's clarified my questions for now. May have confused myself with the Garston and trafford park bound flows
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:32:58 PM by crewearpley40 »

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal