!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New replacement light bar with plug for Dapol coaches  (Read 985 times)

Online DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
Re: New replacement light bar with plug for Dapol coaches
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 11:04:56 AM »
Sven,

I'm clear that this is just for the light bar, this coach has no motor so stay alive is not important here.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Sven

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »
I got that, ha ha! I was just making sure no one would start using this capacitor to blow up their trains.  :beers:
Coreless 12V mini motors at tramfabriek.nl

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 07:09:37 PM »
Stay alive for the decoder is important, if you have unreliable power to the decoder installed in a coach , which would be the case if you are getting light bar flicker, the decoder will need the stay alive to keep it operational and the stay alive I was referring to will also provide the back up power to the light outputs from the decider, not just to a ( in this case non existent) motor.

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 07:16:43 PM »
If a capacitor is installed on the light bar and a decoder has been attached to the light bar, the capacitor will catch interruption of the power from the decoder to the light bar.

Unless you use the decoder to create light effects, but that you can also achieve by removing the capacitor and not cleaning your track too well.  :laugh3:

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 07:54:12 PM »
Hi Sven, hope you are well.
My point here is that the decoder itself needs a reliable power
supply to work properly and the capacitor on the light bar canít do that ( correct me if Iím wrong).

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 10:15:37 PM »
Yes, you are right that a decoder would need reliable power, but that is the case if it is connected to a motor or a sound decoder. A motor or sound will stop immediately if it doesn't get power for a fraction of a second. But if the decoder is not feeding a motor, but only the light bar (as is the case with DCCDave's issue), then connecting a capacitor to the light bar is the free and working solution. If you add a Smart Powerpack/stay alive to the decoder, you get the same result, but you unnecessarily spend more money. If the light is being fed by a decoder or just straight from the tracks, that does not matter. If there is interruption from the track, with or without the decoder inbetween, the capacitor connected to the light bar saves the day. When the interruption has passed, the light bar would get power just the same, directly from the track or again from the decoder.

Unless I don't understand your point correctly?

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 03:03:39 AM »
...assuming the decoder correctly restarts in the same state it was left in before the power interruption. I am not sure that all of them do. Or does not get corrupted by intermittent power, that would be my concern .

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2020, 07:10:43 AM »
Iíve never seen a decoder that doesnít retain its state during momentary losses of power.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal