!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New replacement light bar with plug for Dapol coaches  (Read 989 times)

Offline Sven

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
New replacement light bar with plug for Dapol coaches
« on: December 21, 2019, 03:09:32 PM »
Because Dapol doesn't make them anymore and I had quite a few coaches of my Dapol HST to replace, I added plugs to the light bars I was already selling through my Tramfabriek shop. They are perfectly suitable for any Dapol Mk3 with the plug, but also other Dapol trains with this plug,  like the Class 156, Class 121 and Class 142. Added bonus: they come with two anti-flicker capacitors. I've made them available for all.

More info and to order here:

https://tramfabriek.nl/lighting.html

Coreless 12V mini motors at tramfabriek.nl

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: New replacement light bar with plug for Dapol coaches
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 11:12:46 AM »
That's interesting. Thanks for the post.
Is the Dapol production issue one of timing or one of definitely stopped production, as the coaches all have light bar fittings now (apart from the early B sets and autocoaches)
Bob

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 11:27:54 AM »
Hey Bob,
I was asking myself that same question. I forgot to ask Dapol at Warley, when I spoke with them. I have been waiting to release this for three months now, as I was expecting their light bar to be temporary unavailable. But they've been removed from their website, so I think they want to focus on something else. When I spoke with them in Warley, I was told their priority is O gauge now, so I feel we won't see it back from them soon. Why they still build in the plug, is the only thing that is indeed confusing.

Anyway, in the mean time, a solution is here now. And it comes with anti-flicker. I think that wasn't included in the Dapol's. If you use a diamond drill bit, you can carve away enough of the plastic, that it becomes a tray and one of the capacitors fits in it. Tip: when you don't take the interior out, like me, put some masking tape around it to cover the windows, so the dust doesn't get to the windows. Saves you from cleaning. After doing a few, I can now fit them in 15 minutes.

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 12:01:33 PM »
I'd long given up on Dapol resuming production. If your product comes to Dapol's attention, that'll be the certain end of Dapol's - I doubt there's enough profit in them to warrant a battle.

I have a good supply of the plugs ( :beers: to @geoffc ) so I'll certainly be ordering some of the unwired ones Sven.
 :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »
I'm not really into a battle with Dapol. I like them and like to support them. If they would make them again, I will just sell the remaining stock. I fill up gaps in the market, I don't want to take the business of other companies away.

But as said, they have been removed from their website. I don't think there are plans to bring them back.  :confused2:

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »
Having DCC, I have always used a 12 V strip of 6 LEDs and soldered a plug on to it, ( with an additional resistor to dim the LEDs if required). No anti-flicker, but with all wheels conductive they don’t flicker anyway. Two groups of 3 inverse connected so both halves of the dcc waveform are used, to balance the load. This won’t work on DC though, you would only get half of the lights on in each direction.
However, well done Sven for filling the gap!

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
When I still had time, I used to do that as well.  ;D You could actually also leave out the plug and solder straight on the connectors, but I've tried that and it's very tricky not solder the outer pins to the middle one or to accidentally touch the coach with the solder iron. And as someone who likes things perfect, a plug looks much neater.

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 02:19:29 PM »
I'm not really into a battle with Dapol. I like them and like to support them. If they would make them again, I will just sell the remaining stock. I fill up gaps in the market, I don't want to take the business of other companies away.

But as said, they have been removed from their website. I don't think there are plans to bring them back.  :confused2:

I think we're in agreement there Sven - saying the same using different words. :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline daytona

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 04:07:46 PM »
just ordered 2 , I did notice the lightbars are not listed on Dapol website so I emailed then with no reply

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 06:27:10 PM »
Just fitted the first of ten warm white light bars to Maunsell coaches.
I will document this, now I have cracked how to do it, and do a write up for the NGS magazine.
Sven was so helpful in telling me how I had wired it wrong when I thought it was almost impossible to wire it wrong!
I had viewed it from the wrong side of the pcb when wiring it up! :)
And the capacitor idea makes a great difference to flicker on the track on DC.

Best regards
Bob

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 10:00:34 AM »
The manual should be pretty clear.  ::) But I have to admit, I made the same mistake the first time. I include the manual with all orders, although a few did only receive a link to the manual, as I ran out of paper around Christmas, but didn’t want to delay the shipments.
Manual can be found at: https://tramfabriek.nl/lighting.html
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:04:23 PM by Sven »

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 12:12:13 PM »
Manual can be found at: http://tramfabriek.nl/lighting.html

@Sven , the link doesnt work. I think this is it https://tramfabriek.nl/lighting.html
Seems its one of them confusing http vs https things.
Interesting item alll the same.

cheers
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 01:06:04 PM »
Thanks for that. I can see what went wrong. I made a type in my first post, typing tramfabriek.ml, then changed that directly after posting, but I only changed the visible link, not the attached link to it, if you know what I mean. Now it works again.

Offline Bob G

• Awards
Re: New replacement light bar with plug for Dapol coaches - How i did it
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »
I thought I'd do a mini review for NGF and NGS modellers on the Tramfabriek light bar for Dapol coaches, including fitting into a Maunsell coach. Sven has some photos of the light bar and capacitor fitted to Mark III and 121 DMUs, so I thought I'd do the same for the Maunsell coach.

First off the light bar is longer and wider than the Dapol one. It can have between 4 and 8 LEDs illuminated, depending on where you shorten the light bar. The lightbar is shortened easily with a snip of the Xuron track cutter at the designated breakpoints on the lightbar. The Maunsells work well with 7 LEDs, which is great for the composite coach as that has 7 compartments. The Dapol light bar only has 6 LEDs. The Tramfabriek light bar is wider, so it doesn't sit in the grooves in the Dapol roofs, but I've not found that to be any problem.

The easiest coaches to modify are the brake ends, as the capacitor sits in the brake compartment. These were assembled in about ten minutes flat. Once I'd learned that the manual shows how to wire the plug connection up from the compartment side, rather than from the roof side, I managed to get the plug connections shortened and soldered very quickly. The manual says that the wiring doesn't need to follow any polarity, as there is a bridge rectifier on the lightbar, but it DOES matter if you wire it upside down, as I found out, because the lightbar didnt light. Once I realised I'd wired up the wrong tabs, I swapped them over and subsequent assembly was easy.

The composite coach was a little harder. I did a dry run with everything first time, but subsequent mods have been easier, and no more than 15 minutes max per coach. First, you have to unscrew the seating unit from the chassis. There are two small screws inboard of the bogies that hold the seating unit in place. Using the track cutter again, I snipped out the floor of the toilet at the end furthest from the lightbar plug. The capacitor sits in the toilet and the terminals are connected to the nearest set of terminals designed to take the capacitor wires. The plug is kept at the other end to make fitting easier. In this case you can get one LED per compartment, which gives better lighting than the Dapol original.

That's got the 3-car set finished. I've actually completed two three car sets, and have two more to do, but I've found the conversion very easy to do, once I had done the dry run and learned my lesson on the wiring matter. The capacitor makes a great deal of an improvement on stability of the lighting on DC, even though pickup is over all axles. All in all a good value kit to replace the currently unavailable Dapol light bar, and an improvement on it with the capacitor fitted, which is optional. However, like all things, once tried, you can never go back. There are two capacitors supplied, but I found one was good enough to eliminate flicker over track joints using DC.

Hope this helps Sven sell some more of these kits. They are very high quality components, and if I can do it, anyone can.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:36:57 PM by Bob G »

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 10:27:24 PM »
Nice write up, Bob! I'm very happy that you liked them. Train-O-Matic is still relatively unknown in this country, but that will change. They make excellent products.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal