!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coldheat Solder Iron  (Read 293 times)

Offline tmark

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Coldheat Solder Iron
« on: February 22, 2020, 02:12:29 PM »
Has anyone ever used one of these tools? I was sitting around thinking ??? and wondered if it would improve my work and be a bit neater in the finish of the job. Whatever your opinion or actual experience is I would be interested in hearing. Thanks, Mark

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
Re: Coldheat Solder Iron
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 04:36:06 PM »
Not used one, but suspect the tip has a very short life.   

At the prices charged (some are right down at throw-away Chinese device prices), the tip is nothing special, so despite the marketing talk its almost certainly two bits of carbon.  Similar to the single carbon rod used in a resistance soldering machine (commonly called a RSU).    In an RSU, the tip erodes fairly quickly and needs sharpening regularly - not a problem in most as its a really cheap carbon rod used in welding.   Tip erosion is very quick if it makes contact with flux or solder, somewhat slower if only touching metal which is heated and not in contact with the solder. 

I'd expect some practise and advice on cleaning things before soldering, correct flux, correct temperature, would result in neater work.    If its electrics, use thin multi-cored solder.   If its sheet metal, consider buying packets of solder balls so you get a consistent amount in each joint.    In both cases, lead based solder is easier to use than lead-free.   

- Nigel

Offline sprogman

• N Gauge Society Number: 17786
  • 2mm Association Number: 4557
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 11:24:39 AM »
https://science.howstuffworks.com/cold-heat.htm explains it.

"Unfortunately, graphite can be brittle. One of the most common complaints in product reviews and message board posts is that the Cold Heat tip breaks during normal use. Unfortunately, using the recommended light pressure on the tip wasn't sufficient to complete a circuit when we tried to use the tool. Just after we successfully completed a circuit and melted some solder, our tip broke."

It's a variation on a resistance soldering unit. My concern would be how long the batteries last.

Personally, I would not give it house room.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 11:40:58 AM »
I'll stick to a standard iron thanks, it works just fine for electrical soldering and also provides a heat source for heat shrink etc.  :)   I might be interested in a resistance soldering setup if I were to get heavily into brass kit building etc.

As an aside, I've actually been quite pleased with a little £15 rechargeable iron I bought in Lidl, and find myself grabbing that for "quick fixes" .  I've had rechargeables in the past and not got on with them (too slow to heat up, awkward tip), but this one seems to work well.  It is handy for chucking in the toolbox when heading off to a show, and of course being cordless I can use it anywhere.  Good enough to bother ordering a set of spare tips direct from Parkside spares, which actually cost me as much as the iron  :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline tmark

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 02:40:20 PM »
Nick your reply interest me, especially the store you mention. Never heard of Lidl and when looked up here in the States it shows they are a grocery corporation. Is this the same store with other products on hand. If not what is the brand of rechargeable do you use that seems to work so well? Thanks, Mark

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 04:52:23 PM »
Hi Mark, ah didn't realise you're the other side of the pond - you're not showing a flag against your profile yet?

Lidl is a European based cheap / own-brand supermarket chain.  One of their marketing ploys is to feature an aisle of other non-grocery stuff which changes twice a week, usually in "themes" eg. DIY tools, toys, kids clothes, consumer electronics etc.    Many of the electrical tools are sold under the brand Parkside, just as they use Silvercrest for consumer electronics.  It's not top-of-the-range stuff by any means but some items are certainly "good value". 

Here's the soldering iron I'm referring to - in this case listed on Amazon (?!) but not actually in stock.   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parkside-Cordless-Soldering-Iron-PLKA/dp/B07CCHNQKN

We also have Aldi which are a similar sort of outfit.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 09:00:31 PM »
You can get some good bargins, I have a servicing stand for my Mountain bike in the garage bought From Aldi. They are of German origin I believe that Aldi and Lidle's owners are brothers who fell out, not sure if that is true.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline tmark

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 01:54:36 AM »
Thanks guys. We have aldi and lidl but I have never been to either. Parkside tools is new to me also. So I'll just get a portable, rechargeable or battery, and give it a try. Your input has been most helpful and I thank you. Mark

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal