!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hauling issues  (Read 841 times)

Offline ChrisWC342

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28873
    • Awards
Re: Hauling issues
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »
Wow guys, so much info, thanks to all, now to answer some questions.
I am going to take the Graham Farish train back to the shop along with my Lima carriages and get them to run it on there test track, then take it from there. I fit is the loco, not a problem they will deal with it as they are a fantastic model railway shop. So if it is the carriages and something to do with being 40 years old, then new ones will be tried and very likely purchased. Anyone want some Lima carriages lol.
I have free wheeled the carriages along a straight and they seem ok, but I dont have anything to compare them with yet, shame as I have about twelve. The new Peco rolling stock is so light its scary, they roll for miles so not a good comparison. I am not overawed with the couplings. Can anyone suggest better. The new Dapol magnetic ones look good but not cheap.
Cheers NGM, love that yours pull 12 coaches cos that's what I am aiming at, gives me hope.
Peco SL-300X flexitrack Bob which is now SL-300F I gather, but like my stock they are 40 years old, still in the sealed box that I purchased them in, loads of them, never been out. They seem ok, no discolouration and they bend with ease, no perishing at all. Once cleaned up they show a good electrical circuit all the way round with my tester. Oh and I used a 18" Tracksetta on all my bends.
Dr AI the price of both locos over here in sunny England are very expensive so I used great care in handling both of them, the Flying Scotsman was just faulty, it happens, trouble is always to me. Now trying to contact Dapol repairs is another thing.
Think I have answered you all, I will not give up, I'm curious now as to what is causing it all.
Putting down my first set of track was hard but enlightening, I think I will take it up and try again, my track joining leaves a lot to be desired but did get better, also going to use 24" Tracksetta bends, largest I can get away with. On my large layout 24" will be the smallest I use and hoping that most will be 36". Although track tester says all ok I will be using electric feed to all joiners on my test/practice track.
Think I have covered it all, again thanks all.
Regards Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »
Good that your model shop is looking after you but, to be blunt, I'd ditch the Lima coaches as they are not to UK scale as you'll soon see if you compare them with a Farish or Dapol coach. However, if you like them I have a load you can have FOC apart from postage :D

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 03:01:04 PM »
I don't know for sure but I suspect that your Flexitrack is Code 80, which is fine, SL300F is Code 55 which is subtly different, although it can be used together with some bodging. SL300 is code 80.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 03:09:33 PM »
I would also be rid of lima coaches and agree with mick 's point. I modernised and improved my fleet a long time ago. The couplers also never worked with farish stock so a couple were banished to a siding the rest disposed of.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2019, 03:19:20 PM »
Peco SL-300X flexitrack Bob which is now SL-300F I gather, but like my stock they are 40 years old, still in the sealed box that I purchased them in, loads of them, never been out.

I don't know for sure but I suspect that your Flexitrack is Code 80, which is fine, SL300F is Code 55 which is subtly different, although it can be used together with some bodging. SL300 is code 80.

Gaugemaster list SL-300X as being a single length of code 80, wooden sleepers, whilst SL-300 is the box of 25 lengths.
The code 55 is SL-300FX for single lengths and SL-300F for boxes of 30.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 03:41:46 PM »
Chris WC342 have  a look at :

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556

there is an argument which mick points out and I had in mind. please bear in mind Lima stuff is 1/160 gauge v Farish 1/148 gauge. Mick noted this
and I had read up when I rid myself of lima, which was not really for the uk market however there is the point made before Lima coaching stock is supposed to be 1:160 yes, but take note that if you actually take a Peco British N scale rule to the Lima Siphon G and to the Lima CCT, you'll learn that they actually are very close to 1:148,  the Lima Mk1 coaches to be 10mm shorter than the GF ones, ie 5 feet. As for the couplings on Lima stock, as has been said, they are fully compatable with the Rapido couplers (that's the name of that style of coupler) that come standard on Farish, Dapol, and Peco locos and stock. So 3 points here

Also By the mid-1990s, Lima had a swollen UK product range of over 300 models, some of questionable quality, while still producing new variations at a rate of five or more new schemes a month . The distributor, Riko International went into receivership in 1999 and failed to make an impact. This turned out to be the last completely new model from Lima and the company subsequently folded, being bought out by Hornby.

The demise of Lima in 2004 left a significant supply gap for some of the key classes of the British diesel and electric locomotives range.

I would change your fleet.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2019, 04:01:40 PM »
Also By the mid-1990s, Lima had a swollen UK product range of over 300 models, some of questionable quality, while still producing new variations at a rate of five or more new schemes a month . The distributor, Riko International went into receivership in 1999 and failed to make an impact. This turned out to be the last completely new model from Lima and the company subsequently folded, being bought out by Hornby.

The demise of Lima in 2004 left a significant supply gap for some of the key classes of the British diesel and electric locomotives range.

Just to clear this up for those unaware - this latter part has no relevance to N, as the N gauge British Lima range died in the early 1980s. The above relates to the OO range of Lima diesels, many of which are now part of Hornby's OO railroad range.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 04:28:47 PM »
The only reason i mentioned was to invite thoughts and thanks dr al. I have a lima class 31 which looked too big coupled to mk 1s and gladly now does not work so sits  in the shed.im unsure of its dating i brought it

Offline ChrisWC342

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 05:40:54 PM »
Hi All,

Finally took my train into the shop where I got it from along with eight Lima carriages. Found that the engine had a fault, when it was taken apart they found that the motor in its cradle kept coming out, no fault, would appear to be a construction issue. When it was running the slightest jolt made the motor move upwards and disengage the gearing. They could find nothing other than that wrong with the train so a bit of sticky tape was used to hold it in place, now it works a treat.
Got it home and had it pulling all nine carriages with no problem. Following day same issues occurred, motor seems to be in place, but the wheels keep coming off the track so I am going to relay my track but take my time and make a proper job of it to see if that's the issue. So fingers crossed folks. 
Regards Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 07:40:24 PM »
Once the track has been relaid run a fingertip round the railheads and if you see blood you have a duff joint :D
Being a little more serious, if you get derailments after relaying the track try to get a short vid of it you can watch back and see if something obvious is going on. The camera reveals a lot.

Offline ChrisWC342

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 10:16:54 PM »
Cheers Newportnobby never thought of that.
I do realise that my curves could be laid much better and some of my track joins are atrocious but it was my first attempt.
You can only get better with practice even though I took my time the first time, but it still could have been done better.
I now know what to look out for to a degree. N gauge is not the easiest but still enjoyable.
So when I have relaid my track fingers crossed I have sorted out the issues I might have had.
By the way the 30 year old Lima carriages weigh the same as the new ones with no pulling difference whatsoever, and the 30 year old track is not a problem either in case anyone thinks it might be, that's according to my model railway shop and Peco.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 09:14:12 AM »
The age of the track doesn’t appear to make a difference my layout was built in 1981 using code 80 and still has one or two of the original insulfrog points that are still working fine .
I am a great believer  in using graphite sticks ,I only clean my track occasionally using the excellent Ten Commandments track cleaner and then use the graphite stick paying particular attention to the pointwork ,I scrape the stick over the point blades and find this helps continuity between the blades and the stock rail .You would think that graphite on the track would cause the locos to slip as it is a lubricant but for some reason it doesn’t have that effect .
Bob Tidbury

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 12:17:04 PM »
No reason old track should be a problem, if it is kept clean.   No magic potions or graphite for me, just an occasional light burnish with a track rubber, and keep the loco and stock wheels clean as well as the track :-)
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 12:57:59 PM »
Thanks. @Bob Tidbury I found an excellent art shop that sells graphite sticks . Your correct a good rub with this £5 acquirement paying attention to points  switches, blades and stock rails I echo what you said. A useful tip.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal