!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Issues with Dapol 66 chipped with Bachmann Next18 36-567  (Read 606 times)

Offline LowerQuadrant

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Rose-an-Grouse - a small junction in Cornwall
    • Awards
Issues with Dapol 66 chipped with Bachmann Next18 36-567
« on: December 13, 2019, 02:02:06 PM »
Hello,

I've recently fitted my Gaugemaster/Dapol 66 (BR Large Logo) with a Bachmann 36-567 decoder.

The loco will run fine with front lights on or off (F0). But when I switch on the rear lights (F1 or F2) it will take one or two minutes until

- the loco will stop abruptly
- the front and rear lights on the "front" end start flashing, the rear end remains dark  :scowl:

This will only stop if I cut power.

Does anyone know about this problem? :hmmm:

Sorry, but it's my first Next18 loco I chipped myself...  :helpneededsign:

Thanks for any advice

Christoph

Offline Vonzack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20933
    • Awards
Re: Issues with Dapol 66 chipped with Bachmann Next18 36-567
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »
Hi,

Some decoders use the flashing lights to indicate a motor short. It's possible the chip is getting confused and reporting this for some reason. You've basically got a re-badged Zimo chip with the Bachmann one.

Do you have any other locos running at the time, would eliminate a track / system problem if they still run OK.

Cheers, Mark.

Offline pauliebanger

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 03:44:43 PM »
Hello,

I've recently fitted my Gaugemaster/Dapol 66 (BR Large Logo) with a Bachmann 36-567 decoder.

The loco will run fine with front lights on or off (F0). But when I switch on the rear lights (F1 or F2) it will take one or two minutes until

- the loco will stop abruptly
- the front and rear lights on the "front" end start flashing, the rear end remains dark  :scowl:

This will only stop if I cut power.

Does anyone know about this problem? :hmmm:

Sorry, but it's my first Next18 loco I chipped myself...  :helpneededsign:

Thanks for any advice

Christoph

Christoph,

There's something wrong with the loco or installation or decoder which is causing it to overheat. This needs investigation by you.

What you are seeing is the decoder shutting down to protect itself then flashing the headlights to warn you of overheating.

Extract from the ZIMO manual:

All ZIMO decoders are equipped with temperature sensors to measure their own operating temperature. Power to the motor will be turned off once that temperature exceeds 100 degrees C. The headlights start flashing rapidly, at about 5 Hz, to make this state visible to the operator. Motor control will resume automatically after a drop in temperature of about 20 degrees C, typically in about 30 seconds.

Best regards,

Paul

Offline LowerQuadrant

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »
Hello Paul & Mark

Thanks for your replies, you're being most helpful! :thankyousign:

According to the behaviour of the 66 I already suspected a thermical issue as the problem occurs only after a few minutes. Before that, the loco performs normally.

I fitted the Bachmann decoder into a Dapol 68 and it ran beautifully. So I guess it's not the decoder (so, Zimo makes the chips for Bachmann - nice! :thumbsup:)

Then I snapped the 68's decoder (Dapol Imperium2, by the look of it) into the 66. It ran a bit jerky, maybe due to some preadjusted CVs for the motor characteristics of the 68. I made no reset - I didn't want to push my luck :-[ So I put it on static display with lights on (which was enough to trigger the failure as long as the Bachmann chip was installed. With the Dapol chip, however, there was no problem.

I'm going to order some items soon, anyway. A "blank" Imperium2 chip is affordable and I'll try that to make sure.

I'll be in touch! Thanks again and happy holidays to you! :)

Offline pauliebanger

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »
Christoph,

Does that suggest that the Dapol decoder has a higher temp setting before shutting down. (or no safety cut out at all?) Will it go on heating up until it melts the model, blows up or both?

It's unlikely that either decoder is causing the overheating so there's still an investigation job to be done to find and fix the source of the problem.

Good luck,

Paul

Offline LowerQuadrant

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 06:37:33 AM »
Does that suggest that the Dapol decoder has a higher temp setting before shutting down. (or no safety cut out at all?) Will it go on heating up until it melts the model, blows up or both?

It's unlikely that either decoder is causing the overheating so there's still an investigation job to be done to find and fix the source of the problem.

I must admit that it crossed my mind. The way I see it, there's not much more investigating I could do here. Guess I'll be getting in touch with Hatton's soon. Maybe this is a known issue...

Regards
Christoph

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 08:52:02 AM »
Given the the Dapol decoder is a rebadged LaisDCC decoder which only costs 9.99 I doubt it has much in the way of self protection built in.

I would send the loco back for replacement as it obviously has issues

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Offline LowerQuadrant

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 05:30:41 PM »
Meanwhile I fitted my Gaugemaster/Dapol 66 with a Dapol Imperium-2 decoder. As far as I can tell, the loco seems to be fine with this chip. I ran it for about one hour with different lights on and put it on static display for hours with lights on. Nothing shuts down, nothing smells or overheats.

However, I have one final request: does anybody have some suggestions how I could teach the motor some manners? The loco runs extremely jerky. I'm not great with CVs, so any help is most appreciated! :thankyousign:

Regards
Christoph

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal