!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gaugemaster Panel mount or 100M with walkabout?  (Read 203 times)

Offline IanF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28927
    • Awards
Gaugemaster Panel mount or 100M with walkabout?
« on: December 09, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »
I might be answering my own question here but good to get some feedback. Currently have a plan (which some of you may have seen) - small shunting style layout (one loco in steam) with quite a few isolation sections so I will require some kind of control board. Behind scene a fiddle yard and an area where I could have a controller and the switch board. I just get the feeling I would like to walk around the layout whilst controlling BUT of course I would have to keep going to the rear to operate the sections and points board which if it's generally hands on shunting then there will be quite a few operations going on and me running around (well not running - I tried that once....)
So I guess I am asking what works the best for this type of layout operation :confused2:
Size is 1400mm x 400mm (so not too large that I can't reach all round - I just want to see it operating from the front as well. May be the answer is to have all the controls at the front?
Help - I don't know what I'm doing

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Gaugemaster Panel mount or 100M with walkabout?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 06:54:31 PM »
May be the answer is to have all the controls at the front?

Why not have the control panel detachable so that it can be fitted to the front or to the rear and make the linking cables long enough to reach for both locations?

Offline IanF

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »

Why not have the control panel detachable so that it can be fitted to the front or to the rear and make the linking cables long enough to reach for both locations?

Good idea - not sure how I would wire all that at this stage but given a little time to think about it I could come up with something (unless someone has done something similar I could get an idea from of how to do it). :hmmm:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 07:24:02 PM »
Yes, I agree with @chrism  make the control panel detachable so you can position it at the front or the rear.   Use a hand-held controller plugged into the control panel.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 07:31:07 PM »

Good idea - not sure how I would wire all that at this stage but given a little time to think about it I could come up with something (unless someone has done something similar I could get an idea from of how to do it). :hmmm:

It's what I've done on Torver and Woodland - the connections to the control panels (the fiddle yard is detachable) terminate in appropriate size d-sub connectors mounted under the baseboards which are matched by connectors on the back of the control panels and joined with straight through patch cables.

On Coniston I put sockets front and rear, splitting each wire to go to both, but that was a pain to fault find if I got something wrong which is why I did the others with single sockets and longer cables.

Offline JanW

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 09:12:57 PM »
Do you have to be on both sides when operating or are you in front or at the rear?
If you operate it from one side at a time you can put the controls on both sides.
Wire the section switches to a section in series. When operating from the front, set all switches at the rear to 'on'.
If you use solenoid point motors you can wire the pushbuttons (or stud and probe) front and rear in parallel. Doesn't matter on which side you push the button then.

This will not work if you have to operate from both sides, if one side is switched off you cannot activate it from the other side. (It can be done but then the switches have no fixed on or off orientation).
Same if you use stall point motors (tortoise).

With a hand held controller you can also use it on both sides.

Jan
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 09:14:11 PM by JanW »

Offline IanF

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 09:52:24 PM »
So chrism - that sounds like a cracking idea. I have very little electrical experience but I'm guessing the d-sub connectors are just another plug variety - say female under the baseboard and female on the control board with a length of corresponding wires between the 2 male connectors (forgive my simple explanation rather than use of technical terms) :laugh:

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
So chrism - that sounds like a cracking idea. I have very little electrical experience but I'm guessing the d-sub connectors are just another plug variety - say female under the baseboard and female on the control board with a length of corresponding wires between the 2 male connectors (forgive my simple explanation rather than use of technical terms) :laugh:

These are the beasties;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature

I use a mix of 9-way, 15-way, 25-way and 37-way depending on the number of wires I need to connect.

I usually put the opposite gender on the baseboard and control panel and use cables with opposite genders at each end to be sure that they can only be connected the right way round, especially if I don't use all the pins on a connector for any reason.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal