!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Resistor colour codes  (Read 481 times)

Offline TrevL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
Re: Resistor colour codes
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 04:07:17 PM »
Please forgive my ignorance, but how do you know when you pick up a resistor, it is the right way round to read the colours off correctly?
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 04:17:34 PM »
I too was taught the :censored: non PC version using Violet not purple back in the early 70's at Artificer training in the RN.

:censored: Boys  :censored: our young girls but   :censored: go without.

My father taught me a similar one that he was instructed with in RAF National Service.

:censored:  :censored:  :censored: our young girls but  :censored:  go without

Black            Brown          Red           Orange  Yellow   Green  Blue   Violet   Grey  White

:-[
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »
Please forgive my ignorance, but how do you know when you pick up a resistor, it is the right way round to read the colours off correctly?

Because there are limited combinations for the tolerance bands - either silver or gold.  Those go on the right, thus the resistor is the "right way round".   

The simple way is the 10 (or less) digital multimeter.  Gives the right answer every time.       
Colour codes date from an era when components were larger, meters were expensive and measuring resistance on them was a slow task.  Colour codes are like log-tables and/or slide-rules for multiplication: made obsolete by advancing technology. 

- Nigel

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »
Because there are limited combinations for the tolerance bands - either silver or gold.
Brown,red ,green ,blue, violet and  grey  are also valid tolerance band colours.In general you can tell by the spacing between the bands,the spacing between the value and tolerance bands are wider than the spacing between the value bands

Offline sprogman

• N Gauge Society Number: 17786
  • 2mm Association Number: 4557
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 05:22:47 PM »

For run of the mill resistors there are only certain valid combinations see https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/electronic_components/resistors/standard-resistor-values-e-series-e3-e6-e12-e24-e48-e96.php E12 and E24 are the most common. I believe (could be wrong, it's been a long time) that it should not be possible to read the colour code from the wrong end and get a valid result.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 06:49:19 PM »
Another thing with resistors is what are termed "preferred values", the page linked below explains things, probably the most common values are the E12 range, just over half way down the page, with a very useful diagram 2.2.1
Which shows how a 10% tolerance defines the spacing between values;

http://www.learnabout-electronics.org/Resistors/resistors_05.php?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwik-IbZnq7mAhW6TBUIHSz1BhYQ9QF6BAgLEAI
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:50:21 PM by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal