!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: AD-8FX to Seep PM1  (Read 240 times)

Offline Alan Kyte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 29032
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
AD-8FX to Seep PM1
« on: December 13, 2019, 01:29:50 PM »
Hi All,

My first foreay into the world of motorised points, struggling to get the points working.

Instructions that came with both are unclear, watched a few videos and googled the hell out of it, still nada

Pictures attached, I'm not getting anything out of the Seep, voltage meter across the outputs indicate a low voltage (around 3 volts).

This is taken from a DCC bus via the general single input that the AD-8FX has now, I was also a little unsure about the common wire (c), which I assume is 0DC so have wired that to the Negative output along with the black wire (b).

Photos attached.. Help :)

Edit : I've tried a couple of PM1's.
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: AD-8FX to Seep PM1
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »
I'm not familiar with the AD-8FX but I am used to the SEEPs.
They require a short belt of, ideally, at least 15v between the common wire and one of the other two - the two are for firing left and right. Many people use a capacitor discharge unit off 16vAC to give them a really good belt without risking burning them out by keeping the power on for too long.

Are you sure that you  AD-8FXs are compatible with the SEEPS and can provide the output? I'd have expected to see three output terminals to the point motor if they are.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 04:10:38 PM by chrism »

Offline Alan Kyte

• N Gauge Society Number: 29032
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
I'm not familiar with the AD-FX1 but I am used to the SEEPs.
They require a short belt of, ideally, at least 15v between the common wire and one of the other two - the two are for firing left and right. Many people use a capacitor discharge unit off 16vAC to give them a really good belt without risking burning them out by keeping the power on for too long.

Are you sure that you  AD-FX1s are compatible with the SEEPS and can provide the output? I'd have expected to see three output terminals to the point motor if they are.

I did a bit of digging just now, ashamed to admit the one I purchased is specific for cobalts... Oops... Gaugemaster sorting me out an alternative...

Thanks.
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 03:16:08 PM »
From what I can see from the data sheet, you should have the two dcc bus wires in the first two terminals (the ones that you have wires in now) and the three point motor wires in the next three terminals (with the common in the centre of the three). Manual buttons on the next three (if you want them) with their common in the middle and the frog on the final three (again, if you want it). The Seep's connections should be with the common on C and the other two wires on A and B.

The datasheet (attached) shows most of that at the top right.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 04:09:17 PM »
From what I can see from the data sheet, you should have the two dcc bus wires in the first two terminals (the ones that you have wires in now) and the three point motor wires in the next three terminals (with the common in the centre of the three). Manual buttons on the next three (if you want them) with their common in the middle and the frog on the final three (again, if you want it). The Seep's connections should be with the common on C and the other two wires on A and B.

The datasheet (attached) shows most of that at the top right.

It does indeed - however, Alan didn't buy ADS-8FX controllers.

Of course, it would have helped if the manufacturer had given the things proper names instead of a string of letter & digits where the addition or removal of a single character changes the spec completely.

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 05:51:37 PM »
  :dunce: whoops. In my defence, I did search for the correct item, but then followed a link that had the spurious  "S" in it. A quick glance suggests that the correct number refers to a reversing output not suitable for solenoids :(

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal