!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: China Clay Wagons  (Read 1313 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: China Clay Wagons
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 03:02:16 PM »
Matt. Looking at the photo more closely yes maybe just the angle of the photo. Yes this would have been continuous brake and approx 200 tonnes doing the calculations. Better get back on track, er  sorry topic

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
And double that if they had been loaded......
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 04:23:40 PM »
neal / calnefoxile

re Tamworth model and that task to try and supply trains suitable for late 70's to early 80's. whilst the run of the mill electric services are catered for, apart from Class 81's-85's, which need to be scratch but that's for another thread, I thought the Clayliner would be something different. You need to bear in mind a rake of the vacuum braked 13t open china clay wagons without 'hoods', which were used on the 'Clayliner' working from Cornwall to the Potteries up to 1982 before the advent of the 'Clay Tiger' PBA air braked wagons. I have a feeling these wagons were a mixed bunch of BR built and pre-nationalisation types and were possibly different from the 'clayhood' type in their dimensions

read : https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brclayliner

sure it was a fascinating mix the Clayliner was in the 1970s, ex big four 5 and 6 plank steel framed high wagons and as Ian has mentioned above a lot of different BR diagram wagons 1/034, 1/039, 1/042 and 1/045. There's even a pic of a steel bodied 1/041 in there for added variety. the peco wagon would be a starter. good luck, look forward to developments

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 06:55:37 PM »

Thank you all for the help & advice it's been most enlightening.

The talk of the Milk Trains is interesting, I didn't realise that there was a flow northwards in the late 70's, I thought by then the only runs were into London on the Western Region, but having a Northern Flow would be interesting and can't wait for all the "Never had Milk trains on the WCML behind a 40" brigade  :D :D

Just got to buy 20 flipping Dapol Milk tanks now and suitably dirty them, more strain on the Train Funds  :worried: :worried: :worried:

Cheers

Neal.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 10:55:06 PM »
You need to bear in mind a rake of the vacuum braked 13t open china clay wagons without 'hoods', which were used on the 'Clayliner' working from Cornwall to the Potteries up to 1982 before the advent of the 'Clay Tiger' PBA air braked wagons. I have a feeling these wagons were a mixed bunch of BR built and pre-nationalisation types and were possibly different from the 'clayhood' type in their dimensions

I believe you are correct. From memory, the classic "hoods" were 1954 built to diagram 051 (replacing very similar GWR-vintage wagons of diagram 013). These wagons had a short 9' wheelbase and were used primarily for taking the clay to Fowey for loading onto ship. The short wheelbase allowed them to be tipped up as shown below.

The Clayliner wagons didn't need such special handling and I believe were built to the standard 10' wheelbase.

The talk of the Milk Trains is interesting, I didn't realise that there was a flow northwards in the late 70's, I thought by then the only runs were into London on the Western Region, but having a Northern Flow would be interesting and can't wait for all the "Never had Milk trains on the WCML behind a 40" brigade  :D :D

I believe the northern flow was for excess production rather a daily occuurrence like the flow into London from the southwest. However it is interesting and definitely falls into the "prototype for everything" category. Incidentally, electrics got in on the fun too.

Just got to buy 20 flipping Dapol Milk tanks now and suitably dirty them, more strain on the Train Funds  :worried: :worried: :worried:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:01:54 PM by Karhedron »
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 12:05:46 AM »
They also had to say 9ft wheelbase to fit some of the wagon turntables that nobody was going to spend money replacing.

I built mine out of the Parkside Dundas kits and the CCS transfers, then made my own hoods by simply making up a sheet of suitably weathered looking hoods and printing them on the laser printer.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal