!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Raven Q6 Scratchbuild  (Read 167 times)

Offline Dalteth

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Raven Q6 Scratchbuild
« on: December 01, 2019, 05:37:19 PM »
After (what I consider to be) the success of my J11 scratchbuild (link https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=46996.0 for those interested) I decided to take on a bit of a bigger, more complicated task!

This was also my first scratchbuild completed on a chassis purchased specifically for it and not just from bits I had lying around.

The Q6 featured heavily in the North East where my interest lies so this was a loco very much needed if my layout was to be reasonably accurate in its location.

Starting point was a dapol 38xx chassis.

The tender under frame still isnt correct, but as of yet I haven’t found an under frame that has the correct wheel size or can at least accept these. For now though it doesn’t detract from the overall model though so until I find the correct one it will do!

There were also some minor deviations from the real tender made for where the motor needed to sit.

The other flaw with it is that one of the brake handles on the tender snapped off and was lost during painting!  :'( so until I put in another order with n brass locos that will be left missing.

So photos in approximately chronological order:

The photos of the finished item have certainly shown up a few blemishes that weren’t apparent before taking the photo!

Overall still pretty happy though.

Next up is a 3D printed J50 (probably finished next weekend) followed closely by a D49 created by mashing together a dapol schools chassis, Farish J39 body and dapol B17 tender frame...

As always, and comments are very welcome  :thankyousign:

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: Raven Q6 Scratchbuild
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »
 :claphappy: @Dalteth no idea what the loco is meant to look like, I'm an SR man and unless it's a well known loco they pass me by but it looks an absolute cracker.

Fantastic job on the cab with those windows. A decent loco line up is on it's way to your shed then!!!
 :greatwork:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 06:29:21 PM by exmouthcraig »

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 08:24:18 PM »
Going by pics of the real one you've made a damned fine job of it. I have nothing but admiration for all the chaps on the forum who create locos they want but no one makes in RTR. :admiration:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hs=jct&q=raven+q6+loco&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=opera&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiDi6GNo5XmAhVBrHEKHVEvBPcQ7Al6BAgHECQ&biw=1326&bih=658

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 09:06:27 PM »
This is a very nice build - despite the details you point out, I think you've captured the atmosphere of the prototype very well - maybe too clean though!!!

I presume you have or will be fitting the boiler with as much weight as possible, given that it's mostly plasticard?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 09:12:27 PM »
 :wonderfulmodelling:

Fabulous model of an interesting prototype. Vincent Raven built some handsome locomotives.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline Dalteth

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 10:01:27 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys  :D

A decent loco line up is on it's way to your shed then!!!

I only have a 4’x2’ layout so I have far too many locos to even fit on already!!

This is a very nice build - despite the details you point out, I think you've captured the atmosphere of the prototype very well - maybe too clean though!!!

It won’t be clean once I’ve sorted my airbrush out and set to it!! I don’t think any of the Q6’s were ever even approaching clean!  ;D

I presume you have or will be fitting the boiler with as much weight as possible, given that it's mostly plasticard?

I have added some weight to the tender (disguised under the ‘coal’) but yes I will be adding some to the boiler once I figure out something suitable to use...

I had hoped to pinch a weight from a donor loco I have but what I had didn’t fit unfortunately.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything