!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: RG Engineering ~ Locomotive Division  (Read 167 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
RG Engineering ~ Locomotive Division
« on: November 29, 2019, 06:04:34 PM »
I've been stripping an early Dapol 66/6 (DCC capable no socket) body in prearation for a new livery.

The paint on the cab-front handrails is being very stubborn. It just doesn't want to budge, even after a total of ~36 hours in IPA, ~1 hour of which (in 10 minute stints) was in an ultrasonic bath.

Images © Mark Adedeji, on Flickr
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: RG Engineering ~ Locomotive Division
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 06:10:41 PM »
I had some BR Blue Bogie B that I had in IPA for 2 weeks!!!!! scrubbed with toothbrushes, airbrush cleaner brushes, in the end i cranked the compressor up to 50psi and blasted all the paint off, the air gets underneath and peels it away, occasionally needing a helping hand but got rid of it all!!

Online Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:17:48 PM »
Looks about as stubborn as the paint on the old Farish wooden Pullmans!

Have you tried a fibre glass pencil?

Kind regards

Paddy
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:18:54 PM by Paddy »
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:33:11 PM »
I did finally get it off Paddy. As the pic shows, it was the handrail that was really stubborn. This is one of the 1st gen of Dapol 66s - the DCC capable without socket version. That front handrail is plastic! This is the first time I've stripped a 1st gen model. The 2nd gen models - DCC Ready with socket - have a wire handrail and the paint comes away a lot easier.

As I rebuild this one I'll replace that handrail with wire. All the other handrails are wire on both 1st and 2nd gen models.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here