!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Osborns Carriage & Wagon Works OCWW030 Devon Belle Observation Coach kit - Build  (Read 442 times)

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
As mentioned else where, here is Living near the Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway and having travelled in the Devon Belle Observation Car many times I was very pleased when Osborns released their N Gauge kit of the coach in the Summer.  In typical fashion, for something that I just couldn’t live without and had to have yesterday, I then sat on it for 2 months before starting construction!  I know a couple of people also interested in this kit so I thought I would do a short build thread/review on here in the hope it may be of use.
The kit retails at £39.95 + p&p, so comparable to a modern GF Pullman RTR coach.  Opening the box, first impressions are that you don’t get a lot for your money:

I have my own laser cutter and 3D printer so have a feeling for the effort and time required to achieve high quality results like the items in the kit. I don’t have any commercial overheads either, so after inspecting the contents and considering the likely costs involved, I think the price is justified.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
First task was to clean up the 3D printed seating and paint with appropriate colours:

I used Humbrol M73 (Wine) for the carpet and G68 (Purple) for the chair/seats.
Whilst the paint was drying I dry-fitted the Perspex parts together.  The instructions point you to the fact that the floor has ”rear” marked at one end for alignment purposes, but I completely missed that the floor effectively has an Inside/outside orientation depending on which side you read “rear” from (more later).  Some of the slots needed opening up slightly to accept the tabs.  I pushed a bit too hard in one place and cracked the Perspex top.  When it came to gluing the body together the instructions say to use “Plastic Weld”, which I didn’t have available. However I did have Humbrol liquid poly and MEK, and as liquid poly does an excellent job for Airfix kilts I decided to try that.  I tested it on an off cut and…………………not a hope, nothing, didn’t touch the plastic at all.  On to the MEK, which is pretty nasty stuff and melts just about every plastic it comes into contact with and………………….nothing again.  I resorted to using odourless cyano which did the job and grabbed fairly quickly without leaving any of the white fogging you can get with normal thin or medium cyano.  With the body shell made, I polished the window areas with Silvo wading and a soft cloth, painted the internal bulkheads and glued the seating in place.  After fitting the top bit of Perspex to make the box I lightly sanded the top and bottom of the main body to ensure they were flat: another error on my part as some of the dust managed to make it inside and is visible on the windows.

In retrospect I shouldn’t have sanded it and just used filler to pack the uneven bits as I had to fill around the edges after the side over-lays went on anyway.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Keep it up - I didnt even know it had been formally released yet.
Will watch with interest.

Best of luck too.
Bob

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Awards
Most interested in adding one of these so will be following closely

NGM

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Turning to the roof, the resin (?) casting needed some attention to fill some blemishes and make the bottom face flat/smooth for gluing.  The material is relatively soft and sands well. I decided to spray it white and then weather, so a light coat of white plastic primer from a rattle can was applied before it was glued to the main structure.  There were still some gaps that needed filling and the roof on the observation end has a taper that comes in from the corner about 2mm that needed attention so after 3 cycles of fill, rubdown, spray, rub down check result I could move on.

I sprayed over the edge so there wouldn’t be any unpainted gaps when the sides went on.  I use Tamiya masking tape as it leaves a crisp fine edge.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Next job was to fit the under-floor detail.  It was at this point I realised that the floor was “upside-down” as the slots didn’t match the photo shown in the instructions (no mention in the wording which way up the floor should have gone).  Before gluing I painted the underside matt black, again going around the edge corner by a few mm to hide the gap. The laser cut parts are very neat and only a couple needed the tabs adjusting to fit the slots.  I’m pretty sure no-one will notice that the air tanks etc are fitted in mirror positions…….well maybe one or two will! 

After the glue dried gave the whole lot another coat of matt black and dry brushed a little frame dirt.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Back to the roof and a little weathering, before:

and after:

Not 100% happy, but needed the sides on really before going any further. 
I made up the bogies iaw the directions.  The corridor end one has a footstep on each side, but it isn’t very clear from the instructions or the photo photo exactly where to place them, so I made a best guess.  They were then painted matt black too. 

Offline jthjth

• Awards

Here is mine constructed. Farish coach on the back for size comparison.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Time to fit the overlays………
These are laser cut from yellow approx. 0.5mm thick self adhesive material. The yellow layer is laser etched away to leave dark brown.  I checked sizing and then fitted them as directed in the instructions.  The backing sheet peels off without any problem, but you do need to be wary of the very thin window frames at the observation end. It was quite easy to get the overlays in the right place first time and I was able to re-position the corridor end without any problems when I needed to move it up a fraction of a mm.  When happy with positioning I pressed down the overlays to secure them in place. There was maybe 0.5mm gap between adjacent overlays on the corners, so I filled that with light weight filler.  When dry I lightly sanded the corners with 1000 grit wet and dry.  To finish the job I mixed matt black and frame dirt on a plastic lid until I matched the colour of the overlays then carefully painted the filler.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
On to the couplings and my biggest gripe………..
Peco NEM units are provided in the kit, but unfortunately the way the bogies are designed makes it very difficult to fit them.  The heights are all wrong and the centre-line of the coupling needs to be at the same height as the ply plate.

I overcame the snag by making up some 0.4mm ply plates to go under the bogie

And glued them under the bogie

These then supported the NEM pockets at the right height so the couplings lined up properly.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 05:13:25 PM by Dizz »

Offline Dizz

• Awards
With the bogies fitted I added a little more weathering (will probably do more later) it was time for a test run.

To be fair, the camera (my photography!!) doesn't do it justice and it looks much better in reality although obviously not up to RTR standards.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Summary
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 05:26:30 PM »
In summary, I made a few errors in construction which were not entirely down to my ham-fistedness/lack of skill and most would certainly have been avoided with better guidance from the instructions………….or even reading this thread first!!!
Having made this Observation Car kit, if I were ever to build a second I’m sure the result would be much better.  That said, I’m happy with the one I have built: it does pass muster at normal viewing distances, looks good behind a rake of Pullmans on my layout and does add that extra bit of individuality.

Plus points
With care a perfectly acceptable model can be produced with the minimum of tools and materials.
A niche subject that will probably never be available as a RTR product.
Looks good at normal viewing distances going around a layout.

Negative Points
Review and amend coupling attachment method     
Instructions require re-writing with more detailed directions and expanding to 2 sides of A4 to allow bigger and clearer photos (especially of fitting the foot steps).
Check solvent/adhesives that will work assembling the Perspex/acrylic body shell and update the instructions.       

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Let’s hope Maurice is reading this to pick up,tips for V2 instructions

Anyone going to send  him a link? 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:22:35 PM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online ScottishModeller

• N Gauge Society Number: 24524
  • 2mm Association Number: 4622
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
Hi all,

Whilst I am liking the model in Pullman colours - looking good.

I can't help wondering how easy it would be to put it into BR maroon for Scottish services!

As for RTR - Never say never!

Hornby did it in 4mm scale when everyone said it would never happen.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations