!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Society Ferryvan project  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Society Ferryvan project
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2019, 11:58:31 PM »
Hello Roy,

Please bear in mind that the research phase of this model was started some time ago for us to be in the position now with CAD.

At the time the decision was made DJM was still, as far as any of us knew, hoping to produce a Shark.

Despite the obvious flaws such as the over-deep guards ducket, and poorly rendered planking in the DJM samples that were shown the NGS could not at that time commit to a Shark.

Things are different now, and it may be the next RTR projects officer will be in a position to look at it anew.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

Understood, I can see that a lot of work has been put in already to get the Ferry vans to the CAD stage and that will have taken a significant amount of time for those involved and as I understand it in no small part your good self personally.

I had not realised that you were standing down as NGS RTR Project Officer (I must read my Journal supplements more carefully!) I am saddened to learn that, but with your RevolutioN commitments and what must be a massively demanding day job I can quite understand why. I am appreciative of all that you have worked hard to make possible for the Society.

I do hope the Shark makes it as a future model, but understand that each model that is decided on is a collective decision by the NGS Committee so that cannot be assumed.

I am sure the Ferry Van will be excellent and a fitting final model for your PO tenure.

Best Wishes

Roy

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2019, 09:29:50 AM »
The VIX has been high on my wish list for some time. I'll be able to retire my older Mill Lane Sidings kits (I was never very happy with the paint job I did on them and didn't like the idea of dunking something card/wood based in paint strippier).

Later in their lives, these wagons were used as barrier wagons, including for Chlorine traffic so they're a perfect match to run with the Society tanker kit.
They were very common on the Amlwch to Ellesmere Port trains:
This photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/16378965231
shows two VIX, one in bauxite, one in red-stripe, either end of a rake of empty Chlorine tanks and full Bromine tanks, hauled by a class 40 with brake vans at either end.

Is there any possibility the factory could run off more chassis than are needed for the vans? Many of the prototype wagons had the van body removed and either a solid steel floor fitted, or alternative body sides. They were used as:
Runner wagons
Bogie carriers
Chubb spoil wagon

As runner wagons they were used for explosives traffic with VAA vans - Sonic's VEAs could easily be substituted. They were also used as under-runners for BDA (Society kit and RTR from Farish) when long loads were carried.

A kit could contain a blank floor, parts for the bogie carrier and sides for the Chubb. Perhaps something could be done using the 3d printing technology Rails of Sheffield have recently used for some pre-grouping vans?

If there's no demand for a kit, it would be great if the chassis be made available as a separate item (as per the Stove R)? I could find a home for 5-7 of them. As runners I could easily double that as I have more need for runners for my steel train than as vans.

Steven B.

Online PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »
They probably came in over the Woodhead from Harwich. I'll have a look at my Woodhead books when I have a bit of time.

Hi

They did indeed and there is at least one photo of them in one of my Woodhead books in a train going down the line to Wath from Penistone in the earlier livery.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2019, 10:49:28 AM »
A very nice choice indeed. I'm sure I can find room for 1 or 2 ;)

Cheers
Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Ainsley CMD - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=46246.msg584542#msg584542

Next exhibition for SSA - Macclesfield - Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th March 2020

Ainsley CMD will be at N Gauge SouthEast - Saturday 4th April 2020

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »
There is a book dedicated to European ferry wagons; 'International train-ferry wagons in colour for the modeller and historian' by David Ratcliffe, published 2009 by Ian Allan.

However, although it gives a very brief history of the services from Harwich and Dover, it is mainly concerned with mid-1970s onward workings, as are most of the photos. This has a list of typical UK destinations/starting points, and some sample train formations.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that they usually ran with vehicles from other railways, especially DB, SNCF, SNCB, FS, and Societe Anglo-Belgique des Ferry boats; also, in the 50s and 60s, with STEF or Interfrigo reefers, and Transfesa wagons. So whilst a solo ferry van in a working would not be unreasonable, if they prove successful, I wondered if some-one would be enterprising enough to come up with other bodies, using the VIX chassis. However, as the proposed wagon is RTR, I wouldn't expect this to be the Society; and I'm not familiar enough with the various designs to say whether the VIX chassis could even be used.

Unfortunately, my own colour slides only date from circa 1973, and are all lost in the loft.

As per a previous post,

http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/4-rstock/04arstock9.htm

has two other Bauxite liveries which pre-date the BR Double Arrows (scroll about half way down).

Martyn

Offline Stuart Allen

• N Gauge Society Number: 27793
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2019, 11:44:58 AM »
Good choice i think.  Must be difficult making the decision what to commission without duplicating what might be in the pipeline from other companies.
I'll definitely order a railfreight liveried one, plus a Satlink one if produced.

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2019, 03:52:40 PM »
An illustration of the wagon load concept of the ferry workings.

http://www.railpictorial.com/piwigo/picture.php?/3376/category/13

What appears to be two FS or SNCB (?) wagons immediately behind the loco.

Martyn

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2020, 10:10:39 PM »

Hello all,

The N Gauge Society’s next RTR model - the popular BR Ferryvan - has reached another milestone with the final approval of the CAD drawings. 

The model is now ready to go to tooling, and this will proceed once the Treasurer gives authorisation.

Additional detailing - including the truss cross braces and vacuum pipe - has been added to the underside.

Keen-eyed members looking at photographs of the prototype may have spotted variations in the ends; the first batch of wagons built in 1962 had narrow uprights at each end, but the second and third batches (built from 1964) had reinforcements added from the upper horizontal rib to the buffer beam. 

The earlier wagons were subsequently given the same modification and photographic evidence suggests the entire fleet had been modified by 1970.

These are visually quite obvious, so the NGS model is being tooled to ensure both can be depicted. This is the original batch 1 end:

This is the revised end:

The rest of the model is unaltered:

Final livery selections are yet to be made, but potential options include original version with “British Railways Ferry Van” lettering, subsequent “Through to the Continent with British Railways” branding and other versions with the BR double arrow and in departmental use.

Cheers

Ben A
(NGS VP)

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2020, 10:35:23 PM »
Ben
That looks splendid.
Well done to all involved in this project.
Best
Bob

Offline bridgiesimon

• N Gauge Society Number: 12318
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2020, 12:00:36 AM »
yep, defo looking good!

Looking forward to adding a few of these to my collection.

Best wishes
Simon

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2020, 09:03:49 PM »
I've found another photo illustrating the wagon load concept, and in steam days;

'BR Steam surrender' by Roger Siviter.

Dated 16/9/66, at Dillicar; a Black 5 hauling, in order, an open wagon (tube?), three different 12T vans, a 10' wheelbase open, then two ferry vans.

The rest of the train is cut off after that.

martyn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal