!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Society Ferryvan project  (Read 3029 times)

Online PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
Re: Society Ferryvan project
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2019, 04:19:34 PM »
the NGS scrapped their horsebox when Farish built that, so the kits have to move with RTR

Hi

The Horsebox is still shown as a current NGS kit and they have stock so I am puzzled by your comment.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2019, 04:22:14 PM »
I thought the plan with the nightmare that it was to build it was being dropped.

I shall now amend my post!

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2019, 04:35:07 PM »
rtr sealions and sharks next year please...!

you cant get a model to fit in with everyones interests but i think the ferry van is a very good choice as they spanned 40 odd years and everyone loves unusual wagons!

how many are preserved? i think i saw one at bucks railway centre...

tim

Online willike1958

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12585
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 05:41:12 PM »
Personally I think it's a great choice of wagon. They could be seen all over the country iii inter-regional goods trains as well as on local trip workings. Very nicely fills a gap in the RTR market. 
Kevin

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 05:43:12 PM »
I think a Shark is far too risky for the NGS - there is ex-DJM tooling out there somewhere that is only a matter of time before it will re-surface.

There were 400 VIXs (and other TOPS codes eg lots of departmental codes) and they were built in 1962 and 1963 - looking at Paul Bartlett's excellent site suggests Pressed Steel built the first 150 in 1962 and then BR Ashford built the remaining 250 in 1963.

Lasted a long time and ran all over the place (though there are far fewer pictures from early use - that is true of many wagons unfortunately).

Cheers Mike

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 06:50:39 PM »
when you say the shark may resurface, you mean a random chinese company could just start making and selling them???

satlink and engineers olive would be good livery options for the van model too

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2019, 08:02:58 PM »
These are not a wagon I am familiar with but given my Dutch livery fetish will be in for at least one of those and, like the sonic VEAs, Railfreight liveries as well.

Going to have a nice speedlink rake at this rate  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Online Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »
I think a Shark is far too risky for the NGS - there is ex-DJM tooling out there somewhere that is only a matter of time before it will re-surface.

There were 400 VIXs (and other TOPS codes eg lots of departmental codes) and they were built in 1962 and 1963 - looking at Paul Bartlett's excellent site suggests Pressed Steel built the first 150 in 1962 and then BR Ashford built the remaining 250 in 1963.

Lasted a long time and ran all over the place (though there are far fewer pictures from early use - that is true of many wagons unfortunately).

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

It is impossible to know if the Shark tooling will ever resurface. However it was (according to those who know - not me) from all accounts not an especially good model by modern standards. In any case, for exactly the same reasons as the Clayton hasn't found a taker I would doubt the Shark tooling will find a buyer any time soon because the model is "damaged goods" and anyone remotely connected with our small N Gauge world knows that. Time will tell.

Given the various PW vehicles that have been available (Mermaid, Grampus and Dogfish, Sturgeon to come) a RTR Shark is such an obvious choice to complement them. I think I will therefore simply have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I have indeed looked through Paul Bartlett's site as regards the Ferry Van and I can't find any pictures of the vans there that aren't post-transition (in fact the majority are labelled as post 1980).

From what I can glean the wagons were used on two traffic flows, the Dover-Dunkerque and Harwich-Zeebrugge train ferries for general merchandise but where did the traffic originate from? Was it wagonload?

At the original build they were apparently branded FERRY VAN but it doesn't seem very long (1966?) before they were beginning to be branded with the British Rail "Arrows of Indecision".

There seem to be people on here delighted with the choice, and I truly hope there are enough to enable the model to wash it's face financially without a big take up from transition modellers. As I have said, I will buy a couple to support the Society (I generally do) I am simply expressing my own thoughts and reservations.

Best Wishes

Roy

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2019, 08:56:46 PM »
Roy:

I think there was at least one bauxite livery version before the 'arrows of indecision' and possibly two.

Though the train ferries ran from Dover and Harwich there were a number of onward destinations. I think the Harwich flows went to either Goodmayes or March for sorting, though there was a significant trade in fruit and veg to London: including Bishopsgate before it burned down.

I'm not sure, but from what I can tell, it was wagon load: one was apparently Scotland to Iraq.(but I can't remember the reference).

I'm not sure of full flows, but the Harwich trains included, at least in later years, Bescot, Doncaster, Mossend, Tees yard, and other destinations. I don't have any working time tables to refer to for other destinations..

Photos of an (almost) complete train of ferry wagons seem to be rare, but I've seen one of a Whitemoor working and another to Temple Mills. I presume after remarshalling there the continental wagons would be mixed with normal BR stock for onward transmission.

Martyn
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:23:37 PM by martyn, Reason: Correction »

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »
Hello Roy,

Please bear in mind that the research phase of this model was started some time ago for us to be in the position now with CAD.

At the time the decision was made DJM was still, as far as any of us knew, hoping to produce a Shark.

Despite the obvious flaws such as the over-deep guards ducket, and poorly rendered planking in the DJM samples that were shown the NGS could not at that time commit to a Shark.

Things are different now, and it may be the next RTR projects officer will be in a position to look at it anew.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2019, 10:23:04 PM »
I canít say too much but donít forget the factories talk to each other as do some of the manufacturers/retailers this side. So there are some fairly consistent messages that one hears about various bits of tooling.

Donít forget the tooling is too valuable to someone to leave do nothing.

As I said I suspect it is purely a matter of time.

Online Richard G Dallimore

• N Gauge Society Number: 17713
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2019, 10:42:55 PM »
I canít say too much but donít forget the factories talk to each other as do some of the manufacturers/retailers this side. So there are some fairly consistent messages that one hears about various bits of tooling.

I quite agree, a matter of time I have my suspensions and wait to see my gut says mid/late 2020 or early 2021.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Dapol Apologist (according to RMWeb)
Grumpy Old Git (Late 40s)
Member of NGS (but not allowed to comment)
Why am I surrounded by maroons?

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2019, 11:01:10 PM »
Regarding where the ferry vans were seen, in the late 70s/early 80s I used to travel to work in Manchester by rail from home in Glossop. I recall seeing plenty of VIXs in Dewsnap sidings (just east of Guide Bridge) and at Ashburys yard in east Manchester. They probably came in over the Woodhead from Harwich. I'll have a look at my Woodhead books when I have a bit of time.

HTH Norman

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2019, 11:02:40 PM »
Richard,

I do hope your suspensions are not troubling you too much!!!! Do you need new springs?

cheers Norman

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2019, 11:06:48 PM »

Could this be the final knife is someone's back from his previous business partner???

Ooooo that would make a TV drama.

I wonder what snippets of information are being heard on the N gauge grapevine  :uneasy:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal