Stonehouse Model Railway

Started by Bob Tidbury, November 22, 2019, 01:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

Hi there is there a member local to High Wycombe  who would have any spare time  during the day to come and share running my layout ,`I have plenty of stock to run but you would be Wellcome to bring your favourite loco to stretch its legs on the layout which is 20ft x 8ft with a branch line that can be run on its own with its own fourtrack fiddleyard and a station and goods yard .
The layout is predominantly G W R but I am a rule one man so I can run anything really .
Please PM me .
Bob Tidbury

crewearpley40

Its a lovely l ayout to operate.warm welcome and rest assured bob.darren and i will sort the plugs. The metre of track soon

Bob Tidbury

Thanks Crewearpley40  and DarrwestLU6  At least Chris noticed why the branch line monitor wasn't working when they were here last time and the branch is actually usable as it is but will need the track replacing under the hill at some point ,I think the Streamlined Parcel car was derailing because it needs some more weight in it as it's only 3D printed on an extended shorty chassis which is very light .
It will be good to see you both again soon .
But if there IS anyone local then I would be very pleased to see them as now I'm retired the days are very long and as I'm a people person it gets a bit lonely down the shed on my own and our little dog isn't really into model railways , and my wife is allways over at our daughters not that she's interested in the Railway neither is my son .
Though I can put the radio on or watch a video while operating the layout .
Bob Tidbury

Bob Tidbury

Just had two mates who though they don't live anywhere near High Wycombe  in fact one in Norfolk and one not two far away in Reading  are coming to visit me and my layout on the 30th ,so that will cheer me up a lot thanks guys .And Crewearpley40 and DarrwestLU6 are coming on the 1st Dec
But if anyone else is interested  PM me I will allways Wellcome fellow members .
Bob Tidbury

DarrwestLU6

@Bob Tidbury - it's always fun visiting Stonehouse. Thank you for hosting me and Chris last weekend! I finally got around today to loading some videos of the GWR express running the layout and then the modern loco with a very long  rake of freight wagons.

GWR Passenger express:

With some close ups here:

Freight videos :

and

Sorry these were shot on my mobile phone then I haven't applied any fancy editing, so it's all in portrait, but you can zoom in on your device when you watch them.

Bob or any eagle eyed viewers will have to remind me what class of locos we have here....

Darren
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

crewearpley40

It's a GWR hall and the Revolution Sturgeon is behind a class 33

Newportnobby

@Bob Tidbury
I'm very impressed with your set up, Bob. How long did it take you to get to that stage, please?

Bob Tidbury

Hi Mick  the Basic layout was built in 1982  by the High Wycombe Club and was at the time one of the largest N gauge layouts at exhibitions .
The club were  going to put it in the skip as a lot of N gauge members came from the R A F camp at Naphill and got posted all over the place I had helped build parts of the layout and couldn't bare to see it put in the skip so I bought it .
When I  bought it it only had three up and three down loops in the fiddle yard manually operated  ,it can now hold 28 made up trains with five lines on each up and down two Center bidirectional lines and two avoiding lines  ,and all the points are electrically operated now Some of the point are still the original points on the front of the layout .The scenery was allso very basic and since owning it I have over the years built two farms ,a village ,a yard with engine shed ,carriage shed , fuelling  points for steam and diesel and put in a working turntable ,I have allso added a branch line with its own Halt ,full size station ,a goods yard and at the end a short four track fiddle yard .The branch line has its own control panel though I can run a train in from the main line .
I allso have a large showground with all sorts of vehicles and next to that a large campsite . It is mainly G W R but I'm a rule one,man so you are likely to see all sorts of stock running on it . It is twenty foot long by eight foot wide with Center operating well . The main station was built by Ron North a Wycombe club member and is a scratch built exact copy of Stonehouse station as it was , in fact when Ron and a couple of club members came to visit a few years ago Ron thought I had saved his station board and built a new layout as he didn't recognise the layout at all as I had done so much to it .
I still have lots of scenic work to do on the layout including an orchard and loads of plants and flowers to add ,I recently improved all the houses which are mainly S D MOULDINGS  plaster buildings and Ive fitted over 64  chimney pots  which really have made a difference ,I'm allso going to do some re fencing as a lot of the plastic fences have become brittle over the years and got broken .,I've also got to remake  a road section going up the hill to the Beech Tree Hotel as Im not very happy with the result .
I love doing the scenery as I think that makes the difference between a train set and a Model Railway .
Thankyou to  DarwestLU6 for taking the videos and putting them on here for me ,as I'm not clever enough with technology .
Bob Tidbury

Newportnobby

Thanks, Bob. 1982 > 2020 = 38 years.
I'm never going to get finished at the rate I go at! :'(

crewearpley40

The real station is situated near Gloucester on the Stroud, kemble, swindon line : The golden valley. It's a  beautiful layout and thanks @Bob Tidbury  for letting us near it.

Bob Tidbury

Chris is correct but it's only a bus type shelter now the old station is long gone .
Bob Tidbury

Bob Tidbury

Any Forum members are welcome to PM me if they are anywhere near High `Wycombe and would like to pop in for a cuppa and a running session ,I'm in nearly every day and would welcome the company, many members have been and they allways seem to enjoy their visits .
Bob Tidbury

crewearpley40

Wonder how Charlene ' s building is doing ? Should look good when completed

DarrwestLU6

Here's a test of loading photos.

YouTube video will follow showing step by step instructions
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

crewearpley40

After the 47 had a run on both darren 's and my layout @Bob Tidbury

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations