!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bayswater Station - Victoria, Australia  (Read 1711 times)

Offline rob_au

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Bayswater Station - Victoria, Australia
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2020, 11:19:13 AM »
So after leaving the shed for a few days, the colour of the roof and some errors in construction were really starting to bug me. So I started a second build to see if I could fix or address these. I am much happier with the result.

The main "itches" that have been "scratched" in this rebuild:

• The shed walls are straighter and have less flexibility and buckle. These long walls also include some feature details in their design which make them more interesting than a plain straight corrugated wall.
  • The roof details and edging have been made less prominent and fit better with the overall design. I have similarly included a banded feature detail across the roof which matches more like what the prototype looks like on Google Maps. I will also be added air conditioner/extractors to the roof like that on the prototype.
  • I have included guttering and down pipes on this new build (although I do need to get one additional Plastruct strip and one packet of Evergreen strips to finish this off). I have also included a place holder panel for where the "Metro" operator sign will be placed.
  • The roof construction is far more sturdy and should be able to better contain internal illumination which I am looking to add to the model.
  • Finally, I will also not be painting it all in the dark red like the previous build. Instead, I will be using either the same or slightly lighter shade of green with a white trim/detailing. The red colour may be employed for the gutters and down pipes but will first see how the rest of the model looks with this reduced colour set.
Layouts under Construction

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2020, 10:09:48 PM »
that is looking good Rob.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
Wot Graham said.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rob_au

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
This evening has been spent doing some scratch building for this layout. This work has focused on the auto-shop at the rear of the layout (marked):

I used the Google Maps satellite image for dimensions and the Google Street view above as guides, along with a photo which I took of the side of the building from one of my visits to Bayswater Station:

And so, the results of my scratch build efforts this evening:

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2020, 04:44:00 AM »
looking good Rob.

Offline rob_au

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »
After purchasing an NCE PowerCab system two months ago and finally purchasing my first DCC enabled locomotive (unpainted NSWGR 48 class locomotive from Gopher Models - which I am considering installing a new shell on to turn into a VR T class locomotive), I was able to run a train on this layout, using DCC for the first time yesterday!

My initial thoughts:

• The track needed cleaning which is in no way unsurprising given that the layout has been sitting in the garage where I have been doing other work.
  • I love controlling the locomotive with the DCC controller
  • It was straight-forward to detect and reconfigure the DCC address and operation parameters of the DCC locomotive.
  • The DCC locomotive (or at least this DCC locomotive) appears to be more temperamental with respect to the quality of connection on the track - Where I swap out the DCC system for a DC controller and run a single DC locomotive on the layout, it runs much smoother and is more responsive to the application of power through the DC controller.
  • The mechanism in a second (DC only) locomotive (that I purchased with the DCC locomotive above through a local Facebook group) appears to need some attention and TLC (and at this stage, definitely doesn't appear to be worth what I paid for it) - I'll probably make another thread to solicit some guidance on how to fix this mechanism *grumble*
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:15:35 AM by rob_au »

Offline rob_au

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2020, 01:40:24 AM »
Good news! I received notification yesterday that my order of point decoders from DCC Concepts has finally been shipped. This means that I will be able to finalise the track electrical wiring and finally be able to progress this layout.

Is it wrong that because of this delay I am actually looking forward to weathering track and ballasting?  :)

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2020, 01:46:06 AM »
Yes, Rob, I'm afraid it is. Looking forward to ballasting? Major mistake.

But don't worry, there are people on this forum who actually find it therapeutic  :worried: ;)

Good news about the pending delivery, though.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
45% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal