!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGS Journal 6/19 and BR Blue  (Read 1638 times)

Markthetog and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: NGS Journal 6/19 and BR Blue
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2019, 01:47:41 AM »
I am finding modelling increasingly too expensive, but that is mostly prebuilt items, I see this as forcing a partial return to genuine modelling rather than Ready to Plonking. Maybe this will, in the end, improve the standard of modelling overall?

Here, here! Art collecting was too expensive for me, also, but I never stopped until there was no longer room to hang (or store) my collection. What I did do, however, was confine my buying to art I could afford. Fortunately, the marketplace provided a sufficient volume that I able to do that.

The point about returning to "genuine" modelling is a good one, I think, and one to which many of us should give serious consideration. In fairness, it should be said that market demands DO dictate prices. Participation in forums such as this and NGS subscriptions promote market demand. If modellers want the kind of detail that I see promoted in many posts here and in articles in the NGS Journal we can expect nothing short of an expensive hobby becoming even more expensive. Some of us will certainly want to seek a less expensive approach to the fulfillment of our need to model railroads.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2019, 02:05:50 AM »
I've no idea why the majority of us model railway layouts, so perhaps my reason is in the minority (and maybe even the "tiny" minority). Nostalgia is my reason! Recollections of the sounds and sights of trains in the '40s and '50s and the colorful liveries of trains and carriages in the Edinburgh stations during the early '60s. But, I've also a fondness for British Rail's "Blue Period" of the '70s. I've looked at the Journal pictures and look forward to reading what I'm sure is a splendid article.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2019, 08:57:29 AM »
The BR system is interesting as regards inter-regional traffic (and pretty much continues in use, although there were some changes over the years).  Trains to the LMR were 'M', to the WR, 'V' ('W' would not fit in the head code boxes I understand!), to  the ER and NER were 'E' and to the ScR were 'S'.  For instance, 1S25 was the 1630 (SX) KX to Waverley - maybe still is.
'Z' is a special train - for example 1Z28, which was D9007 Pinza working a train to Edinburgh over the Waverley Route on 4 January, 1969, two days before the railway closed.
Now that there is no need to display the head code on the front of the train, 'W' has started to be used to designate a train which has its running carefully monitored and prioritised.  Earlier this year the Down 'Highland Chieftain' (1200 KX - Inverness) changed from 1S16 to 1W96 for this reason.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2019, 03:50:13 PM »
New thread started so as not to clog this one up..............

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47507.msg605490#msg605490

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2019, 09:31:43 PM »
I've no idea why the majority of us model railway layouts, so perhaps my reason is in the minority (and maybe even the "tiny" minority). Nostalgia is my reason! Recollections of the sounds and sights of trains in the '40s and '50s and the colorful liveries of trains and carriages in the Edinburgh stations during the early '60s. But, I've also a fondness for British Rail's "Blue Period" of the '70s. I've looked at the Journal pictures and look forward to reading what I'm sure is a splendid article.

Leon
I think Nostalgia tends to be a dirty word these days, a sentiment with which I wholly disagree.  My problem is that I feel nostalgic about places and periods I never personally experienced!  I grew up during BR Blue and have a place in my heart for it, but show me a green 40 on Maroon coaching stock, a clapped out black 5 on the S&C or a New York Central J3a on the 20th Century limited careening along the Hudson and I just long to be back there standing trackside. This makes modelling a real challenge, I just want it all :) !

Offline Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2019, 10:21:04 PM »
I read both the mag and the supplement last week, cover to cover. They brightened up an otherwise boring night shift.

The Minitrix article, as mentioned, I thought was excellent as was the photography/video article.  A big well done to all concerned.

btw I even managed to complete the wordsearch the same night too. Sneaky.
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Offline Connel Ferry

• N Gauge Society Number: 28284
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2019, 11:23:47 PM »
Absolutely brilliant supplement. Just what I needed !  :thumbsup: :D

Iain
 :Class37:
British Rail, Barloch TMD

Online Markthetog

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 07:34:41 PM »
Another vote from the "It's not my era but was fascinating" camp re the Supplement. The journal itself was a brilliant read too. I don't just want to read about what I'm modelling, I want to see what everyone else is doing no matter what era (or continent for that matter!). I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here