!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGS Journal 6/19 and BR Blue  (Read 2733 times)

Online NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: NGS Journal 6/19 and BR Blue
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2019, 04:38:48 PM »
A great edition and I did like the Blue era supplement even though it is not my era.

Great! Appreciate not to everyone's taste, but hopefully entertaining anyway.

A great edition and I did like the Blue era supplement even though it is not my era.  My only comment relates to the use of Bubble Car single Diesels on the Watford to St Albans Branch.

You are quite right that they weren't common, but they were used occasionally, according to 'The Watford to St Albans Branch' book at least.  Including the Class 122s here was merely to give an indication of the sort of suburban rather than rural situation where you might see these DMUs. Did you see my article on the Abbey Line a year or two back? That had a much more detailed review of what you'd see; to wit:

While passenger services today are worked by electric multiple units, on occasions there have been steam specials, and in the past an assortment of diesel multiple units were used prior to electrification, which began in 1987 and wasn’t completed until 1990. Classes 101, 104, 105 and 108 were all used extensively at various times, yielding to Class 313 and 321 electric multiple units once the overhead wires were switched on. Class 350 ‘Desiro’ units have recently been tested on the line, and will probably be used in the near future, but are not currently used for routine services. When electrical multiple units couldn’t be used because of engineering works or some other reason, ‘Sprinters’ have been drafted in from Bletchley for use on the St Albans line, and on at least one occasion, a Class 31 diesel has been reported dragging a failed multiple unit up and down the line!

I use this line once or twice a week, and have a great fondness for it, hence my desire to make it better known to railway modellers outside of West Herts!

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2019, 05:14:14 PM »
Anybody intetested i have the bletchley fleet numbers pre 1977 workings. 

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »
Abbey Line thread hijack!

I have seen a bubble car on the line in the late 70s and its stuck in my memory because it was unusual.

After electrification it was a solid 321 turn but 313s took over early 90s until LM was formed in 2007 and 321s returned.

I have driven 117 DMU power twins and a 150/2 loaned for a period when the oberhead power was scheduled to be off. Otherwise it was 313 or 321 all through the 1990s and 321 only under LM until the 319s arrived after an administrative Large Chicken :)-up moved the 321s on.

Online NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2019, 07:18:13 PM »
Otherwise it was 313 or 321 all through the 1990s and 321 only under LM until the 319s arrived after an administrative Large Chicken :)-up moved the 321s on.

Yep, my experience too. 313s through the 1990s and early 2000s, and 321s thereafter. The 319s were sadly a sign of things to come. They do a lot of the WCML turns that I ride on, and they are more often late than on time. Some are so wheezy they only just about make it. Not sure what the problem is, but I miss my 350s! Those are lovely trains to ride on! Toasty warm in winter, pleasantly cooled in summer. I hope them come back soon.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »
M55009 was the 121 in addition to class 105 but heyho still the article brought memories back

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
M55009 was the 121 in addition to class 105 but heyho still the article brought memories back

Yes that was the one I saw in Watford yard having been on the Abbey.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2019, 03:19:22 AM »
Good old days cooper. Still have the class 105 list plus memories off classes  of emu ^s but thats another long story. Chris

Online NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
Then job done.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2019, 01:06:35 PM »
To echo an earlier post thought the Minitrix article was really interesting, looking forward to part two.
Personally you can never have to many Minitrix warships!!

Andy

Online NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »
To echo an earlier post thought the Minitrix article was really interesting, looking forward to part two.
Good to know! I really enjoyed working with John Heath on this.

Personally you can never have to many Minitrix warships!!
Oddly enough, I really don't like them, despite being a huge 'hydraulic' fan otherwise. A bit like the Farish 'Western', I fear they fall into 'uncanny valley' for me!

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2019, 04:15:29 PM »
I finally got time to sit and read the supplement this afternoon and, although not my era, found it an enjoyable and interesting read, not least the description on page 34 of the virtue of a certain lady contracted to improve BR catering ;D
The actual opening paragraph of the supplement was very telling in that, to me, the BR Blue era took away much interest as everything became the same corporate colour and the wonderful (IMO) liveries and many of the locos bit the dust :(
Such is progress (?)
I would like to find out more about the soon defunct destination codes as the brief listing at the back (page 44) lists the types of train 1-0 but destination A (as seen on the front cover) is not listed (London??) and the 2 number suffix is still a mystery to me. Anyone know of a comprehensive website please?

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2019, 04:51:24 PM »
Google diesel headcodetrain reporting numbers and see wiki list. Mick i have pm"ed you privately. Each region was different. Igg.org.uk maybe useful.

Online NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
I would like to find out more about the soon defunct destination codes as the brief listing at the back (page 44) lists the types of train 1-0 but destination A (as seen on the front cover) is not listed (London??) and the 2 number suffix is still a mystery to me. Anyone know of a comprehensive website please?

It depends on the region the train is on. See the review of the Class 50 in the Journal to give some examples, i.e.,

"The headcode boxes themselves stand close scrutiny, with a wealth of detail barely visible without a magnifying glass. The train reporting numbers are delicately printed, but still legible, especially when illuminated. These are, specifically, 1A35 at the A-end and 1B65 at the B-end. While working on the LMR these would be fast passenger or parcel trains headed for Scotland, while on the Western these would be headed for London or South Wales respectively."

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2019, 05:13:06 PM »
Examples 1A 01 would have been euston bound
1M02 would have been an interregional london midland bound. 1E 09 eastern bound, 1V 88 bound the western. Depends what region. On the WR 1Axx would have been apaddington service, 1B xx south wales bound, 1C xx plymouth ,penzance. Think 1 is express, 2 a local  the letterdonated the region, its destination,  its working, the numbers the service train at the time of day

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2019, 11:08:08 PM »

I'm sure there was an article (or series of articles) on those in the journal a while back.

Edited to add: index says "Headcodes - a Further Examination. N.D-Sigsworth 2/2018".
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:11:03 PM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything