!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Extending a layout along a lined loft wall: a big no no?  (Read 823 times)

Offline Ricky B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26895
    • Awards
Re: Extending a layout along a lined loft wall: a big no no?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 06:42:54 PM »
I would expect it to conform to the 16” spacing as they would use 8 x 4 sheets. They would have built a frame around the perimeter and then used studs at 16” with noggins as required.
Cheers for that Malc. I'll be investigating further in the next day. The thing about the way the plaster board's been put up means it's very easy to see the horizontals- they've almost exclusively using fastening screws running laterally - but there's nowhere near as clear-a clue as to where the vertical studs are! With a bit of trepanning of holes after a bit of tap-tapping, hopefully I'll be confident.

On the other hand, may I press you for a opinion of this - a plan B? Could I use those sort of special screws that 'open up' when pushed through, in this case, to grip the plasterboard from behind and to give a good strength by spreading the loadbearing load? I'm planning to erect a shelf of maximum 6" wide to hold four or five roads of code 55. On reflection, maybe the weight of a few rakes of carriages might be too much for this latter method? Any thoughts welcome.

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2019, 10:45:32 AM »
I built a 00 layout for a friend of mine on a 6” shelf fastened to a lath and plaster wall. I made some L brackets with a diagonal bracing and fixed them in 2 positions each using butterfly fixings. It’s still up after 6 months. I used 4 brackets on a 6’ run.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019, 11:34:28 AM »
Sounds like that will have had enough weight on it compared to my fiddle yard.
The butterfly fixings (the ones that 'unfurl' behind your wall to hold from behind?) sound effective Malc.
Just saw yesterday some pine shelves 190mm/7.5" width in Wickes that come with solid pine brackets and wall fixing as well as all screws and plugs. I need about 8' length of shelf but if I can find the studs underneath  to fix brackets to I might go with these shelves..

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 12:12:59 PM »
Yep, all studs throughout Chez Bealman are timber. The electronic gizmo doesn't pick 'em up real well.

My studs are timber but my stud finder didn't pick them up at all well. I think it was because, as it later transpired when I did drill a wall and could see what came out, the lining is not plasterboard but some form of wood, probably plywood. That also explained why the plasterboard fixings I'd bought didn't want to know when I tried them.

I did manage to find all the studs in the regions where I wanted to hang things - by locating the nails (or screws) that secured the lining to the studs. I did this by use of the magnets that I'd kept when I destroyed old, dead hard disk drives. They found the nails just fine and stayed put, so when I'd found one I tried another magnet horizontally each way or up or down, etc.

Eventually I had a very curious decor - wallpaper with an array of odd-shaped magnets stuck to it :D
However, I also knew then where I could drill to screw stuff directly to the studs.

Once I'd done the job I did take the magnets down  :D

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 02:49:05 PM »
Difference for me ( and I've been scratching my head over it again today) is, my lining/plasterboard isn't hidden by any plaster. It was put up by a company who lined out the loft for me. The screws holding it in place make finding horizontal 'studs' easy but not the verticals which I need. I still cannot locate with any certainty these verticals.
If I resort to using 'butterfly' type fasteners I'll need a detector to locate any pipe work and I don't want to have to part with £50 or so.
If I can find the solid wooden studs I'll be fine but not proving easy...

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 03:07:20 PM »
Out of curiosity do you have any tool hire companies nearby? You might be able to hire a detector for maybe a tenner per day :hmmm:

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2019, 03:19:39 PM »
Out of curiosity do you have any tool hire companies nearby? You might be able to hire a detector for maybe a tenner per day :hmmm:
Yes, I'm sure there'd be tool hire near me- didn't think of that. A detector would be to check for piping /wires if was to hang the shelf off the dry wall.
Preferred route still to drill into wooden studs to hang shelf conventionally and I assume, drilling into pipes etc wouldn't be a hazard.

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »
Yes, I'm sure there'd be tool hire near me- didn't think of that. A detector would be to check for piping /wires if was to hang the shelf off the dry wall.
Preferred route still to drill into wooden studs to hang shelf conventionally and I assume, drilling into pipes etc wouldn't be a hazard.
If you have power sockets on that wall, the first fix electrics could be drilled through the studs, so do be careful. I bought a black and decker tester for little money. I don’t use it often but I have traced water pipes with it and saved myself some embarrassment. The previous owner of my house had plastered central heating pipes into the wall of the front room.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline bigmac

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 11:06:55 PM »
I would expect it to conform to the 16” spacing as they would use 8 x 4 sheets. They would have built a frame around the perimeter and then used studs at 16” with noggins as required.
Cheers for that Malc. I'll be investigating further in the next day. The thing about the way the plaster board's been put up means it's very easy to see the horizontals- they've almost exclusively using fastening screws running laterally - but there's nowhere near as clear-a clue as to where the vertical studs are! With a bit of trepanning of holes after a bit of tap-tapping, hopefully I'll be confident.

On the other hand, may I press you for a opinion of this - a plan B? Could I use those sort of special screws that 'open up' when pushed through, in this case, to grip the plasterboard from behind and to give a good strength by spreading the loadbearing load? I'm planning to erect a shelf of maximum 6" wide to hold four or five roads of code 55. On reflection, maybe the weight of a few rakes of carriages might be too much for this latter method? Any thoughts welcome.

if you can see the horizontal fixing screws--its easy to fix on a few vertical battens through to the wood behind and then use shelf hangers on those.

you have not been charged for this advice.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal