!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Questions regarding dcc chip fitting in my farish dcc ready 101 DMU  (Read 420 times)

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
Re: Questions regarding dcc chip fitting in my farish dcc ready 101 DMU
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 09:42:35 AM »
Gavin;

If you are going to Southend show-DON'T.

It was cancelled by the organisers some weeks ago-I should have been attending with 'James St'.

Martyn

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
Gavin;

If you are going to Southend show-DON'T.

It was cancelled by the organisers some weeks ago-I should have been attending with 'James St'.

Martyn

Haha don't worry I am not. Gutted I was cancelled though. Was good show  :'(

Popped into plus daughters model shop the other week and they gave me the heads up on a little micro show in thundersley for people that wanted to show layouts that were missing out on the southend show.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 04:05:07 PM »
OK great. Will see if I can get the bogies off as I suspect it is the contacts between them and the chassis that are at fault.  I will continue my Google journey for info

Another thing I recall reading is that the PCB sends power to the motor via a couple of brass strips that are not permanently connected to the motor, just rely on contact to transmit the current. It improves things a lot if you solder wire contacts instead (or maybe as well?). Apparently there's room to do that. I looked for the original posting but can't find it, but that was the long and short of it. The parts list on the Bachman service sheet shows the strips clearly. The link to that is below:

http://service.bachmann.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/GF_cl_101.pdf

Also, John Dutfield in Chelmsford might be able to help you with the reprogramming - they say on their website that they'll help out even if you didn't buy the item from them. Might be worth scouting those guys out.

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 06:47:01 PM »
OK great. Will see if I can get the bogies off as I suspect it is the contacts between them and the chassis that are at fault.  I will continue my Google journey for info

Another thing I recall reading is that the PCB sends power to the motor via a couple of brass strips that are not permanently connected to the motor, just rely on contact to transmit the current. It improves things a lot if you solder wire contacts instead (or maybe as well?). Apparently there's room to do that. I looked for the original posting but can't find it, but that was the long and short of it. The parts list on the Bachman service sheet shows the strips clearly. The link to that is below:

http://service.bachmann.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/GF_cl_101.pdf

Also, John Dutfield in Chelmsford might be able to help you with the reprogramming - they say on their website that they'll help out even if you didn't buy the item from them. Might be worth scouting those guys out.

Thanks @LASteve will give it a good look over tomorrow.  Did have a little fiddle about this morning but couldn't get he bogies off. Was scared I was going to break something pulling that hard  :o
Only bit I can't work out from the diagram is if the pcb lifts off alone of the lighting parts come with it.
Yes John dutfields shop is very helpful have brought some stuff from them in the past. When I am due my next batch of purchases for my scenery I will pop back over there and take the loco with  :)

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 06:48:25 PM »
Also with the isopropyl alcohol what strength are we all using for cleaning contacts? 70, 91 or 99%? Assume 99% would be best for leaving no residue etc

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 08:36:28 PM »
Also noted some switches on the underside of both motor and dummy car.  Any idea what they do?  :-\
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:37:32 PM by gavin_t »

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2019, 10:21:23 PM »
Was it a new model? It should have instructions somewhere.

Or someone here will know.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2019, 10:40:43 PM »
Was it a new model? It should have instructions somewhere.

Or someone here will know.

Regards,

John P

Instructions don't mention switches which is strange.
Stripped out the lower board and they don't seem to connect to anything other then the LED circuit so must be light related.

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2019, 09:27:34 AM »
I haven't got my instructions to hand, and they seem to have disappeared from the Farish website, but they are controls for lighting.

But I can't remember which does what.

I'll have a look on my dcc 101 later this morning if no more information is made in posts.

martyn

Later; both the switches on my set-up are set to the centre line of the car, as opposed to setting them toward the outer edge.

IIRC, one of the switches isolates the rear lights if, eg, you are running it as the first pair of two x two car units in multiple. Otherwise both units would have rear lights.

They are not fitted to my cl 108.

I'll check them for running later today.

Martyn

Later again;

The switch nearest the driver's cab end seems to be an on/off switch; with the switch on the centre line, the red/white lights will illuminate according to direction of travel. With this switch near the side of the car, there are no red or lights working.

I've failed to work out what the switch nearest the inner end of the car does. Best if some-one can quote from the instructions; mine are buried somewhere in the loft.....

martyn
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 02:01:56 PM by martyn, Reason: correction »

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2019, 12:35:31 PM »
Hello again Gavin;

After some experimentation;

Key; O=outer switch nearest driver cab. I=inner switch nearest gangway.1=switch towards centre line 2=switch towards side of car.

O1, I2; Headcode plus white only
O2, I2; Headcode only
O2, I1; Headcode plus red only
O1, I1; Headcode plus red or white.

Note that white or red, if switched, will only show when running in the correct direction.

Loco fitted with chip and tested on dcc.

martyn

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2019, 01:26:30 PM »
@martyn thanks for taking the time to do that. Will make sure Mine are on O1 I1 whilst I am trying to iron out issues :thankyousign:

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2019, 01:31:20 PM »
PS I found out the cause of the flickering light. Loose contact between the pcb and the lighting part (where screwdriver is) just need to work out how to tighten that up.

As for why it doesn't count power from the rear bogie on either car I am stumped. All seem in good nick. Unless there is a part missing  :-\ strange that both cars are the same...

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2019, 02:20:43 PM »
Gavin;

Check that the copper pick-up lugs on the top of the bogie are vertical and wiping on the flat copper strip mounted in the body floor. You can see evidence of contact by wear on the flat strip, but be aware that this may be from times past, and the tag has moved just a little....

I've just found one of mine that wasn't vertical and so was not touching and hence not transferring power.

martyn

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2019, 04:38:45 PM »
Cheers. Will give it a look. They looked vertical but might give them an extra tweak. Might also try bridging the two copper strips to check it's not a problem with conduction through the board. 

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 10:03:48 PM »
Right gave the loco a good service and have all lights working directionally and good pick-up from all bogies.
Now runs well but still behaves in a DC manner and has notchy acceleration. 
So I am assuming this is all related to the acceleration curves and speed steps. Need to get someone with a more advanced controller to take a look for me. As soon as I have done that I will report back  :)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here