!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fried a chip - any advise please?  (Read 163 times)

Online Saintcole7

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fried a chip - any advise please?
« on: November 08, 2019, 04:48:12 PM »
Hi All, I have just returned to the hobby after 30 years and opted to go the dcc route, I have only just started laying track and have a meter or so sectioned off as the programming track. I purchased a used dcc ready but fitted 101 DMU, it was set to 63 but the dummy's directional lights did not change, so I thought I'd reset both the loco and dummy back to factory settings, I did this to both at the same time. It had the desired effect for the first couple of up and downs but then stopped all together, the dummy was getting hot. After a couple of further tests which all ended with the same result I tried to change the dummy's address and the nec power cab detected a short circuit, after removing the body (another frustrating task) the shrink wrap of what looks like a Laissdcc chip has melted away on about half of it, on adding another chip from another loco it instantly started to smoke so I removed it (luckily saving the chip). Would I of caused some circuit error by resetting? Sorry to go on but I'm trying to understand what I have done wrong and will it be safe to run the dummy with no chip (the lights appear to have been fried as well)? Not a great return so far! Many thanks for any advise.

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
Re: Fried a chip - any advise please?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »
You can't "fry" a chip by changing settings, doing decoder resets, or similar changes on a handset. 

Damage to chips comes from wiring errors.  Either by the user, or the manufacturer.    So, something was wrong in the installation/wiring of the unit which went wrong.    As to what is wrong, hard to tell remotely.     

- Nigel

Online Saintcole7

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »
Thanks Nigel, so you don't think it was me, it could of already had a problem, as the controller does not detect it with no chip I guess I'm safe to have it on the track? Many thanks, Richard

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
No chip is fine, you just don't get lights on the trailer car.   
If whatever fault is after the chip socket, then the DCC system never sees it. 
If there is a significant fault before the chip socket, then the DCC system will detect "short" and shutdown.   In that case, the fault has to be found and fixed. 

I'd not fit a "blanking plate" (as used for DC operation, and as supplied from factory).  You'll get whatever fault exists back again, and even if there is no fault, it results in all lights coming on at full brightness under DCC which isn't what is needed.     

- Nigel

Online Saintcole7

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 06:30:30 PM »
Thanks for confirming Nigel.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 06:43:59 PM »
Also worth mentioning that lais dcc chips are at the very bottom end of the pile with no short protection... look at zimo or digitrax for a decent fair priced six pin chip with short protection.... if a chip gets hot itís pulling a lot of current more likely than not the red led going bad or something else causing a short

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 10:02:59 PM »
An ESU DCC chip tester is a good investment  (= cost of 2 dcc chips)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36092.msg423089#msg423089

https://wicknessmodels.co.uk/product/esu-dcc-decoder-tester-53900/

Although the Magic Smoke and overheating suggest Car  problems.

does the motor unit run alone ? is it just the Car 2 which is the problem? try separating them if possible and retest. this may isolate the problem to one car.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:04:08 PM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online Saintcole7

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 12:47:54 AM »
Thanks for the additional replies, as I bought this from a well known auction site I had no idea of the quality of the chip and as I' m re-starting it was on my list to get, the motor car runs ok on its own, it seems the previous owner gave both the dummy & loco different numbers so maybe the problem did not come to light until I reset both to the same number? Thanks for all your help, regards, Richard.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here