!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Weathering code55 points  (Read 247 times)

Offline Jimbobwhale

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Weathering code55 points
« on: November 07, 2019, 12:53:31 PM »
Im new to n gauge so would very much appreciate any tips you may have regarding the weathering of code 55 points.  I have sprayed all my flexi track with sleeper grime and would like my point work to match but am concerned that if I give my points the same treatment as the track that some paint would unavoidably find its way onto the rail where the electrical contact is needed for the switch rails which would be almost impossible to remove on such tiny points. I have tried the woodlands scenic paint pens but the tip is far to big to paint the rails with.  Any suggestions please chaps !

Offline tayloss

• Awards
Re: Weathering code55 points
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 12:57:36 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have you thought about painting them with the Sleeper Grime paints you can buy as that's the approach I am going to take.. I used a 50/50 mix on my test track and that worked out well?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
Get yourself some masking tape, I use tamiya, and place some on the switch blades and the stock rails (so four pieces of masking tape) where they meet and make physical contact. Then spray to your heart's content.

When dry, remove said masking tape and Robert is your father's brother.

Best

Scott.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:00:46 PM by NGS-PO »
PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.

“Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It's the fear of failure, but no urge to be productive. It's wanting friends, but hate socializing. It's wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely. It's feeling everything at once then feeling paralyzingly numb.”

We're not crazy, or insane, we're just people living with a condition.

Offline Jimbobwhale

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 01:16:47 PM »
Thanks for fast response chaps.  Two great tips already, what a great forum this is.   

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 02:18:28 PM »
You have also now come across one of the reasons why many of us solder a wire to the 'frog' of our points and then use a switch to control the electrical feed, rather than relying on the point's switch blade contact.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
I've also used sleeper grime all over my flexitrack but when it comes to the points I'll be spraying some onto a piece of card then use a paintbrush to apply it from the card.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 06:21:37 PM »
I just go a bit more carefully around the point blades, and clean things up afterward. Close the blade while spraying that side, then throw the point and spray the other side.  I do have some Maskol (paint-on masking stuff) but don't think I've ever used it for that purpose. 

I also use a frog power feed with polarity change switch on the point motor, so blade contact is not vital.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything