!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 22535 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #735 on: June 27, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »
The shade of green is a bit too dark for me. I'd lighten it up, either with a lighter paint or some lighter green scatter and then break up the uniformity with some clumps of foliage to represent small bushes. You could dab some colour on bushes to create gorse.
Sorry - but them's my thoughts.

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #736 on: June 27, 2020, 10:07:16 PM »
Thanks @dannyboy it is flock not paint and I think it is too dark/bright green, and Mick @Newportnobby. I agree Mick it is well too bright and too dark for me, it is not how I visualised it at all.  It is woodland scenics flock/scatter, the trouble was with the lockdown I was buying blind, my fault I asked for woodland scenics flock in jars.  I have been to the shop since and bought something a bit lighter plus some in pkts I have in stock already. I did some on the top of the hill but that was looking too brown, I bought two jars of Woodland scenics, the one used is Fine Turf Grass Green the other is Blended Turf Green Blend, they both look very similar in colour. I have not opened the Green Blend I might take it back. I have not been over the hill with the vac yet so some may come off in the vac, I could then try something lighter especially on the top of the hill which will give a better perspective. Plus a few stone walls and bushes to add to the scene, there is no way it is staying as it is even if I have to paint the flock.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #737 on: June 27, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »
Chris. Have you an independent diy store that sells painters spray green ? Reason in suggesting is I used this to make an area much darker than the acrylic paint adjacent to my canal scene then used flock and lichen

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #738 on: June 27, 2020, 10:36:20 PM »
Thanks Chris @crewearpley40 I have plenty of paint in various shades of green in enamels and acrylics plus I have a airbrush I can use. I also have a can of Halfords green spray paint but I think that is too dark too. I will find something to do, it is a no rush job and with the warm weather it drys quick.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #739 on: June 28, 2020, 06:46:24 AM »
If possible, Chris, I'd add a few lighter patches and a few darker patches.  Such a large area of grass is rarely the same all over.  A bit of brown or straw colour might also enhance it.  And as Mick says, some small clumps of brambles or such like might help as well.  But it is starting to look really good.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #740 on: June 28, 2020, 07:51:44 AM »
Hi Chris, I’ll add my voice to the “too bright” club.
Have you thought about applying static grass over the top of the flick?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: June 28, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
Chris,

I agree with the others regarding the green.

I would look at the steeper areas and treat them differently, they would not be well vegetated and earth / rock colours would be evident with a small amount of Green vegetation, gorse / brambles as suggested would look good too.

May I suggest that you look at the photographs of Hillsden where it goes through cuttings to see the kind of finish I am talking about for the steeper slopes.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:59:00 PM by Nbodger »

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #742 on: June 28, 2020, 11:58:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for the comments and idea’s, I am not happy with the hill so it will be changed. It looks nothing like the thoughts in my head, I think the heat got to me when I layed that flock on, watch this space.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #743 on: June 29, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
Well I have been to my local model shop again this morning, I was the first customer. I have bought some moorland colour flock plus a few trees and some various pieces of styrene so I can work on scratch building some bridges, I will post a pic or two later.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #744 on: June 29, 2020, 10:04:29 PM »
More progress tonight with the hill and behind the factory, still plenty to do yet to get it how I want but getting there. I used my woodland Scenics scenic cement and sprayed it with the spray bottle before adding a different colour of flock. Also more work around the rocks above the tunnel entrances. I have also patched up the hill behind the factory at the end of the viaduct with wood and plaster bandage and painted it in a base colour. I used a couple of pieces of mdf which I glued on the top of the board ends, I then shaped them using my dremel. I then used plaster bandage on the factory side, when dry I used some poly filla to smooth it out before painting. I have not decided how big the hill will be the other side of the join will be yet but I will disguise the join with a few bushes and shrubs.

and here after plaster and base coat of paint.
Lil Chris

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #745 on: June 29, 2020, 11:32:29 PM »
Impressive viaduct

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #746 on: June 30, 2020, 06:29:55 AM »
The mottled effect on the hill is a big improvement.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #747 on: June 30, 2020, 05:30:41 PM »
Well more work around the tunnel entrance patching upwith filler and I have fitted the Dapol Home signal in front of the tunnel and fixed a workmans hut in place too. I am now working on the viaduct itself at the other end making a new supporting wall, lucky I kept the box with all the left over bits from building the viaduct. The good news is I tested the signal using a 9v battery and it works so I can only summise the power supply to it on the last layout must have give up the ghost not the signal so sorry Dapol for blaming you. I was using a 16v ac off a old transformer converted to dc so not sure which failed. I am planning more work on the hill shrubs and walls etc. Yesterday I was looking for some pine trees and I came away with a pkt of Jarvis trees which are for n-gauge and are quite nice but the wrong type of trees. Anyway looking in my scenics box I found a 24 pkt of Woodland Scenics Pine trees and there are 11 trees unused, not sure what I did with the other 13, must have used them on the first layout no idea where they are now.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #748 on: July 01, 2020, 11:12:40 PM »
Here is a pic showing the supporting wall on the right side of the viaduct plus you can see the work I did yesterday on the hill and also  the signal fitted before the tunnel.

I have done more work since taking this pic, on the bottom of the wall out of site with plaster bandage and now there is also soil in front of the wall. The next job is tidy up the track join carefully with ballast.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:14:57 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #749 on: July 01, 2020, 11:44:42 PM »
Hi Chris,

The hillside is looking really great now, especially with the mixed tones you’ve used. The lead line of the viaduct towards it is lovely, and will be a great focal point for photos in the future when you have trains running both ways across the bridge.

Super job  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal